Sign in to follow this  

Really Hard To Start

my 2009 crf 450x went in to auto electricians to have rear indicators wired up and battery replaced got it back started great once now it nearly flattens the battery to get it going it cranks over fine but will not fire until it has cranked over with decomp on  before all this it started first crank everytime any answers on my problem. Thanks

my 2009 crf 450x went in to auto electricians to have rear indicators wired up and battery replaced got it back started great once now it nearly flattens the battery to get it going it cranks over fine but will not fire until it has cranked over with decomp on  before all this it started first crank everytime any answers on my problem. Thanks

Does it have a dual sport harness? Charge the battery to a full charge, trace the turn signal wiring back to where they are connected, disconnect the turn signals, then try to start her up. Might provide you with a direction.

Edited by Norcalboy561

Was anything done with the stator? You say it started once OK, but not from there on out.

The stock starter is barely sufficent for the head/tail light and charging the battery (put's out appox 75 watts total).   If you've hooked a bunch of stuff up to the battery and it's on constantly, your battery will never fully charge.  Stock stator only puts out 20 watts for charging the battery.   This more then anything is the likely problem.

I would also check that the correct battery was used for replacment and have it load tested.  It is possible that it is defective.

Last, is all the new stuff that was hooked up drawing power right away?  ie. you now have a keyswitch and lights are on as soon as it's turned without engine running?   The original battery spec is to support the starter motor only.  If you've got other things drawing on it, it may no longer be sufficent to give you a good crank. 

Jim.

Edited by JimDettman

I also use a key switch for my lights but I installed a relay that shuts down everything and grounds out the kill switch as well. Also I put a light on/off switch so I can run without the lights on at all for any off-road riding, where I don't need them. Plus I have a Shorai battery and have never drained it yet... :devil:

I also use a key switch for my lights but I installed a relay that shuts down everything and grounds out the kill switch as well. Also I put a light on/off switch so I can run without the lights on at all for any off-road riding, where I don't need them. Plus I have a Shorai battery and have never drained it yet... :devil:

Yes it's certainly doable, but with the stock stator just barely being adaquate for what's there already and not any extra's, your already on the border line of having problems even if it is done right.

So you have to wonder being that the job was done by an auto electrician if there was any knowledge of bikes and specifically this one, which is a racing bike.   It was not designed to be a DS, so it's not surprising that you'd have problems if you added things on.

More then likely they simply wired everything on the existing DC side and there's just not enough to charge the battery any more.

Tossing it on a trickle charger for a few hours would prove that quickly enough. 

Jim.