Sign in to follow this  

what kind of capacitor

Hello i'am to build a supermoto with a drz400e model.  I've converted it to kick start, and i want to remove baterie.  What capacitor should i need??

I've read on a forum somebody say a 4700uf, 50v unit, but i'ts realy small as capacitor..... 4mm high x 2mm large.

Thank you

....or out of an old appliance or electric motor or mag start etc.   whatever your time is worth.    Too small and they'll break down fast.

OK thank you guys!  I've find one on an old electric motor here at the job.  I think it'll be large enough.

But i have a question about that.  I know that after a certain time, a capacitor loose all the voltage accumulate in it if the bike stay park for a while.  So if the capacitor is at 0 volts, how can i start the bike??  I suppose that the ECU need some voltage to make the bike start???

Thank you

the ignition coil isolated from the charging coil/reg/rect/battery circuit where your cap will go. So it doesn't matter plug sparks off the ign coil. when you kick

Hello i'am to build a supermoto with a drz400e model.  I've converted it to kick start, and i want to remove baterie.  What capacitor should i need??

I've read on a forum somebody say a 4700uf, 50v unit, but i'ts realy small as capacitor..... 4mm high x 2mm large.

Thank you

Recently, I did post  4700uf. I found that spec on this site a few years ago after much searching. My search also indicated the 2200 uf would also work.

I've been using the 4700uf 50v from Radio shack for over a year now W/O any problem. The one I bought from Radio Shack is about 20mm wide and 50mm long.

Don't know what the proper size should be but from what I remember the one from the DRZ parts catalog is over $100.

Tony

Ok thank's guys!  Anyways, when replacing the bat for a cap, the only purpose of this cap is to provide a steady voltage for the light, flasher and cluster.

correct and you should be verifying the voltage after you get things hook up, lest you be burning out light bulbs firsts time you rev it up.  Light's will be dim at idle and get brighter when you rev now if that's a concern.  

highmarker - The CDI is charged from the same power source as the lights.  The CDI discharges into the  ignition coil to create a spark.  The rectifier turns AC power from the stator to DC but the DC is still pretty rough. The capacitor smooths the DC wave from.  The power to start and run the motorcycle is generated by the motion of the flywheel past the stator coils.  In other words - kick it, the rotation generates the power, the motor starts and runs.  The cap is not responsible for the initial power to fire off the ignition.