dirt bike for 50+

Sorry if this is a duplicate question.  I'm 50+, 220lb, good physical shape--I do weight lifting,  looking into getting a strictly dirt bike, seems every dealer I've spoken to has a different answer.  I currently ride a KLR650 (dual sport).  Woods/trails is the type riding I'll be doing (it's been 30+ years), just poking around.  No racing, minor jumps if any, maybe some small hills, sand, mud.  Should I look at 230 trail bike, or move up to 250, 450 size.   I have a honda shop next to my house, KTM, YAMI 40 miles away.  Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated. 

230 make good pit bikes, but for your size I would look at full size bikes, 250 two and four strokes and 450 four strokes are going to be the most common. If you have been out of the sport for a while, borrowing a friends bike may not be an option, but in my opinion there is really no replacement for taking test rides. I would seriously look into a 250 two stroke. Better handling, ease of maintenance, and for me they are the epitome of the dirtbike riding experience. They can be lugged around, ridden smoothly, but if you want that burst of power it's there. I don't know how long it's been since you've ridden one, if ever, but they have come a long way with spreading the power over a large rpm and making the hit in power usable. Also at your weight, you can probably get away with getting a motocross oriented bike, which will have suspension sprung for someone lighter then you with moto valving (stiffer), but with your weight it should be plenty plush enough for off road.  

Edited by Die_trying

with a Honda shop next door  that would sway My purchase  LOL

I think if I were you I would seriously consider a CRF450X.

^ what he said !! 100x

Sorry if this is a duplicate question.  I'm 50+, 220lb, good physical shape--I do weight lifting,  looking into getting a strictly dirt bike, seems every dealer I've spoken to has a different answer.  I currently ride a KLR650 (dual sport).  Woods/trails is the type riding I'll be doing (it's been 30+ years), just poking around.  No racing, minor jumps if any, maybe some small hills, sand, mud.  Should I look at 230 trail bike, or move up to 250, 450 size.   I have a honda shop next to my house, KTM, YAMI 40 miles away.  Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated. 

KW, 

If you are bumping 220 LBS I think a 230 trail bike would be too small for your intended riding style. I just got my wife a Honda CRF230F with the power-up kit, and it's perfect for her at 110 lbs.. but would not be enough for a 220 LB rider. You should look at and consider either a good 250 or 450 series which I think would be better suited for your size.. the CRF450R would provide plenty of power to go anywhere you wanted.

The mx bikes like the CRF450R are more labor intensive with respect to keeping the oil changed, filter, etc.. but they are the most fun to ride for nearly any style you choose. You are a big guy at 220 lbs, so I would lean toward a bigger/stronger 450 series bike. With a honda shop near your house, that would be a plus..

I attached a pic of my wife's CRF230F which I think would be too small for you. Also attached a pic of my 09 CRF450R for comparison just to give you an idea.

Let us know what you decide. 

JL

0530131101.jpg

0602131111.jpg

0602131112a.jpg

230 too small, too low to the ground bang your feet up.   never ridden in LA but i'd think for trails a 250 would be a good size, 450 maybe too much for tight swampy stuff (my friend from LA tells me about)

230 too small, too low to the ground bang your feet up.   never ridden in LA but i'd think for trails a 250 would be a good size, 450 maybe too much for tight swampy stuff (my friend from LA tells me about)

I also think the 230 would be too small, low to the ground, under powered, etc. That's why I got a 230F for my wife as a starter bike; she weighs around 110 LBS soak and wet.. so the 230F is perfect for her. Just don't think the 230 is good for bigger guys. It's more for younger riders building their confidence, and a good starter bike for spouses.

The 250 series would certainly be easier to control, and more fun to ride. The 450R's are strong and don't make good trail bikes in my opinion. They like higher RPM's, and wind passing through the radiators. They tend to overheat on the trails if moving too slow, also sharp throttle response, and lots of torque. I love riding my 450R off road once in a while... it's a blast.

JL

I attached a pic of my wife's CRF230F which I think would be too small for you. Also attached a pic of my 09 CRF450R for comparison just to give you an idea.

JL

I like your parking priorities  LOL

Why not

Thanks for all the info.  I'll locate a couple bikes for test rides (250 & 450).  Will probably go with Honda since is very close for ease of parts/service.

I like your parking priorities  LOL

Zimman,

Did you notice that both bikes are sitting in the kitchen.? If you look closely, you can see the kitchen area. Also, check out the mats..  

The wife is very proud.. (sarcasm implied)

My buddies get a kick out of that every time they come over to ride. 

JL

JL, good looking ride.   I know you just have the bikes in the kitchen to keep them dry--LOL.  My wife would never let me.  Anyway, found a 2012 crf450x for sale locally--asking $4500, so will try to ride it next week.   A friend of mine--not local, has a honda 250, but not sure which one, but will try to ride it first chance I get.

JL, good looking ride.   I know you just have the bikes in the kitchen to keep them dry--LOL.  My wife would never let me.  Anyway, found a 2012 crf450x for sale locally--asking $4500, so will try to ride it next week.   A friend of mine--not local, has a honda 250, but not sure which one, but will try to ride it first chance I get.

KW,

You can't go wrong with the CRF450, especially if you live near a Honda dealer for parts and support when you need it. The 250 is probably a fine bike, but once you get on a CRF450 pull.. the 250 simply is not the same. Still a fun bike, but nothing like the 450. Just my 2 cents.

JL