Sign in to follow this  

Tranny oil drain bolt

Hey I was wondering if someone could help me out. I think I stripped the threads on the tranny oil drain whole. I was wondering how I could fix it.

having a hard to getting it started or did you over tighten it?     there is a trick to getting it started, put it in the hole and turn it CCW till you feel it click, then turn it CW.

the tranny level check bolt gets stripped often, leave it alone, don't use it.  just drain the fluid best you can tipping the bike back and forth, then add 750cc

Edited by highmarker

I just couldn't get any spins by hand on it. So I just slowly tightened it with a wrench.

Did you strip the entire thread on the tranny bolt? Or just the first part?

You might be able to chase the the threads with a long narrow tap, or drill the first few threads out using a drill. Sould be plenty of thread left unless you used an impact on it or really muscled it after it cross threaded

Kind of scary either way, and no guarantee it works.

Worst case I guess you could probably jb weld the bolt in and drain it from the clutch cover in the future.

I know of a few people that have had the same problem,they have got round it by drill and tapping the outer caseing were the bolt and washer tighten too.

Then used a insert /Heli coil and just put a smaller bolt and washer back in.So they can still use it to drain the oil.

Only other option is to strip the engine and repair the damage thread..

Good luck.

Yes but it would take an abnormally high amount of torque

If you think you cross threaded it in I would leave it in as long as you feel it's tight and just drain from clutch side cover unless you want to pull it apart to fix or replace the case half or do as Gak said

retap to a bigger size or repair with a thread insert like timesert or helicoil.

Before retapping, try drilling the first few threads out with a drill bit the same size of the bolt, the threads are very long.

If you retap, you will be messing up the other case cover, probably best to avoid that unless you have no other options.

If its not already to late run a tap into the threads, the same size as the drain bolt.

Those threads sit horizontal at the very bottom of the transmission case and sludge will form in the threads if you don't change your fluid often.

Which is what starts the whole problem.

Running the tap through will hopefully clean out the threads and you might get lucky.

I took the bolt out and drained the oil a little bit of metal flakes came out. Then put the bolt back in and it tightened okay. And hasn't leaked yet . Hopefully I got lucky.

sounds like you had a little bit of debris in the threads, you should be good to go, next time you pull the drain plug wipe it out with a pipe cleaner to get the rest of it out.