Sign in to follow this  

Front or back brakes?

Which do you guys like to use or think is the best? I personally use my front brakes all the time. Just always have. Every time I use back brakes it stretches my chain and makes it loose. May seem like a stupid topic and it is. But if you think about it, you use one a lot more than the other.

Front about 80% rear 20% I'm a woods rider I'm sure mx guys use the rear more.

Which do you guys like to use or think is the best? I personally use my front brakes all the time. Just always have. Every time I use back brakes it stretches my chain and makes it loose. May seem like a stupid topic and it is. But if you think about it, you use one a lot more than the other.

This is actually a really cool topic for me. I tore the front lever off my bike (I go into turns fast) so I would stop using it. I would always wash the front end out and fall so I made myself learn to use the back. I pull in the clutch and then use the back brake. It keeps from the engine stretching the chain for the engines reactions. I just recently put on a lever and still rarely ever use it.

I ride trails and have always used my rear brake. When I first starting riding I started with the rear brake. I have always been scared that I will grab a handful of front and go over the bars. 

I am a street guy newly converted to dirt....I use the front a lot. Not sure how using the rear brake stretches the chain.  :excuseme:

If you aren't using your front brake (too), you need to learn. Luke knows, the front has more stopping power.  Those afraid to use it or crash when using it need to LEARN how to use it.

That's what I figured....since you are not applying any force to the chain when you are braking, right. It's either a disc or drum that is taking the energy to stop forward motion.....chain should only be enduring force under acceleration. Who knows....maybe the OP has one of those Chinese knock offs that have some weird braking system. :lol:

first ive heard of a rear brake stretching a chain? dont think so. as was allready mentioned front brakes are your stopping power and rear is to steer.

Front, works better for slowing down and less likely to lock up. I'm talking off-road, not moto.

Mike

I don't have very strong fingers so I pull the front brake as much as I can then use the back brake to pick up the slack and steer into corners

I use to always use the front, but i go into corners fast, so i would always wash out. I learned to start using the rear brake a lot more and now i use both. But i would say its 40%front and 60% rear. I ride woods.

regardless of of whether you ride mx or offroad, its boggles my mind that anyone would use one 'or' the other. There is more too it then just stopping power in the front and steer with the rear. I don't think there is any point in trying to quantify front and rear brake usage. I can't think of any terrain, track or circumstance where you aren't using both frequently. Get comfortable with both, slowing down is a huge part of going fast. 

• Like 4

regardless of of whether you ride mx or offroad, its boggles my mind that anyone would use one 'or' the other. There is more too it then just stopping power in the front and steer with the rear. I don't think there is any point in trying to quantify front and rear brake usage. I can't think of any terrain, track or circumstance where you aren't using both frequently. Get comfortable with both, slowing down is a huge part of going fast. 

Well put.  I use both and depending on a bunch of things like terrain, how necessary is it to stop as fast as possible, (am I going to get hit in the back from a quad), racing or just playing, etc.  If you lose the front end and do a face plant or come close to one but manage to save it, you will learn VERY quickly how to use it.  At least I did.  Nothing like pain as a teacher.

I use the front too much.  With that being said I would say somewhere between 60 -40 percent front to rear depending on how you like it.  There are fast national riders who drag their rear brake ie Andrew Short.

I use my rear brake more and take up the difference with the front. I ride offroad primarily and dabble in moto

Edited by andrew34

Mostly use the back brake to help steer into a tight corner sometimes need a bit of front brake to plant the front wheel in a banked corner

In a panic situation i use both and hope for the best lol