Rollin turd comin through -- yahoo!

So today I purchased a 86 yz 125. This bike is in the worst shape if any I've ever purchased. The kicker is stuck because the cog is misaligned. The airbox is missing, the shifter lever is missing, and it's absolutely filthy. I paid 130 bucks for this bike tonight. Can someone please explain to me why I'm so happy about buying a rolling turd???? I can't wait to work on it!!!

Sorry for the dark image. It's. 9:30 pm here and I just got it home.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377999118.208501.jpg

after looking at the pic i was wondering if those are the original yamaha sticker's on the front fork's and the original monocross sticker's on the swingarm? it also look's like the original seatcover too with all the yamaha lettering still intact? (not faded at the top through riding) fork gator's still intact,if they are original,this bike look's like it has'nt been used that much at all (for an 86 model).probably thrown in a barn about 20  odd years ago and left to rot maybe?  from what i can see,the rim's look good with all the spokes intact also...... and they were quite weak back in the day too? .can't make out if it's still on the original sprocket's,chain (alway's a good indicator as genuine part's cost a fortune and are normally replaced with aftermarket)   ?

but as alway's........... i could be wrong of course ?  here's what i mean,faded lettering,sticker's jetwashed away,different sprocket's,missing gator's etc

153088581_3-mooie-yamaha-yz-125-1986.jpg

Edited by smezmx

Im very happy with it. Cant wait to dig into it today just to get it going. I do hope to restore it although like sme said, most of the orig stuff is here and not THAT bad. Naturally my wife doesnt see it that way . ? "Why did you buy that piece of crap"? "You know you are just going to sink money into that thing!" "That will never run right" Then Ill fix it and she'll pester me to ride it all the time. Ive been down this road before ?

Edited by ShsFunny

So today I purchased a 86 yz 125. This bike is in the worst shape if any I've ever purchased. The kicker is stuck because the cog is misaligned. The airbox is missing, the shifter lever is missing, and it's absolutely filthy. I paid 130 bucks for this bike tonight. Can someone please explain to me why I'm so happy about buying a rolling turd???? I can't wait to work on it!!!

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377999118.208501.jpg

Well like I always say, you bought a can of worms, it will undoubtedly be a money sucking pig, but you will come away with a LOT of 2 stroke wrenching experience... or you will get pi$$ed off at spending too much money and the bike keeps breaking down and you simply sell it.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377999118.208501.jpg

Dude,,, thats a nice turd!! Just like the op said the thing looks like it was thrown into a barn. Thats vintage riding gold mine if you only sunk a 130 bucks to get it.

If you fix it up and least just get running confident. Prolly resell for 1500 to somebody for vintage racing. Sure you would make money on it. That is if all has to be done in fresh top end and TLC.

• Like 2

?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377999118.208501.jpg

Well like I always say, you bought a can of worms, it will undoubtedly be a money sucking pig, but you will come away with a LOT of 2 stroke wrenching experience... or you will get pi$$ed off at spending too much money and the bike keeps breaking down and you simply sell it.

how very optimistic!! ?

• Like 1

?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377999118.208501.jpg

Well like I always say, you bought a can of worms, it will undoubtedly be a money sucking pig, but you will come away with a LOT of 2 stroke wrenching experience... or you will get pi$$ed off at spending too much money and the bike keeps breaking down and you simply sell i

Youve been hanging around my wife!!!!! ? Just kidding man....

• Like 1

Dude,,, thats a nice turd!! Just like the op said the thing looks like it was thrown into a barn. Thats vintage riding gold mine if you only sunk a 130 bucks to get it.

If you fix it up and least just get running confident. Prolly resell for 1500 to somebody for vintage racing. Sure you would make money on it. That is if all has to be done in fresh top end and TLC.

Im gettin to the fun stuff now......You saw in the first thread where I said the kicker cog was mis aligned so it wouldnt turn over? Well, thats what the fella told me........Nope not true. Checked it today and realigned it. Still wouldnt turn over. Pulled the flywheel cover and what do ya know, water poured out. Flywheel was rusted and wouldnt give. I freed it but I have no spark at all. Gotta tackle that now. Im betting there is rust on the coil contacts too..................I HOPE......Fully expected this crap though........Been there and done this toooooooo many times. I dont think Ive ever bought a bike that had a defect and the actual problem was what the previous owner said it was.

You think that it is an 88? How else could I tell? I'm thinking I read all the parts are pretty much the same between 86 and 88.

88 has a disc rear brake 86/7 has a drum

88 had a white frame too.

Edited by smezmx