$3000 for mods...what should i do?

I have been looking into this forum a whole lot and just generally all around the internet. I already have a pretty good idea about what i would like to do with a few stipulations. I will be moving back to california and dont want to get the exhaust upgrades for sound concerns. My goal is to have a commuter that can handle highway speeds. I also love to ride trails but am by no means an expert. So what do you guys think i should do?

If you have $3000 dollars to spend and want to improve freeway capability get a big bore kit from Bill Blue.

I would speak to bill about a light weight, quiet pipe.

I'd also get the ims fuel tank for the bike to extend the range to 190 miles

Hand guards

Seat Concepts seat

Then you could consider suspension

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 2

Thanks positron i was looking up all i could for the big bore kit and so far so good

i just read your buil;d post slolane and its pretty much inline with what i had on mind and did you get the big bore kit?

• Like 2

I have been looking into this forum a whole lot and just generally all around the internet. I already have a pretty good idea about what i would like to do with a few stipulations. I will be moving back to california and dont want to get the exhaust upgrades for sound concerns. My goal is to have a commuter that can handle highway speeds. I also love to ride trails but am by no means an expert. So what do you guys think i should do?

I think it really depends on your definition of "commuter" and "Highway speeds" and how often you plan to get off road.... :excuseme:  

For your budget and wanting to stay quiet I would say ..... 

New seat ... I bought the Corbin and love it ...  :wub:

Big Bore kit ... it will give you your highway speeds/power needed without having to gear it down for off road ... but I would still go with 13/42 sprockets  :banana:

New tires .... the stock ones suck real bad off road ...  :shocked:

Race Tech suspension .... because it's that good on and off road ...  ?

New fat bars and grips ..... for added comfort ...  :ride:

Wider foot pegs .... because it fits in the budget ...  :goofy:

Welcome to the club ...  :cheers:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 4

I say use $1000 for better handlebars, grips, skid plates (radiatior and belly pan), red look good zeta bits : ), a rear rack, tailbag, and seat concepts seat (my next mod)...

put the other $2000 away for a rainy day...

I have yet to do the sprocket mods and the ejk....I'm pretty happy with mine the way it is. So i cant speak for those. I also just put an FMF Q4 slip-on on for the noise, the bike is pretty quiet stock and i wanted grammy to hear me coming down the road...

Good luck!

• Like 1

My advice is do stuff that actually improves the bike first, ie makes it lighter, more powerful, better suspension, etc.

A radiator and belly pan isn't going to help you much for road and mild trail riding. A nice seat is good but I would have it way down on the list (unless of course you get an extremely sore arse on the OEM seat).

If I was doing this all again knowing what I know now. I would get a big bore kit and suspension mods then exhaust, then hand guards, the rest are just customising the bike to the way you ride it and can be done at your own leisure.

• Like 2

speaking of ... "If I could do this again" ... knowing what I know from my personal experience  ...  :prof:

and yes of course ... this only applies to me ....  ?  

14/48 sprockets 

305 big bore .... because really that is the only real way to add power

I would still put on the mega bomb/Q4 exhaust

Full Race Tech suspension ... only because I know what it does ...... 

and of course new tires to suit your specific needs 

the rest is all just wants .. but I love my ProTaper/HDB bar setup .... 

• Like 2

speaking of ... "If I could do this again" ... knowing what I know from my personal experience  ...  :prof:

and yes of course ... this only applies to me ....  ?  

14/48 sprockets 

305 big bore .... because really that is the only real way to add power

I would still put on the mega bomb/Q4 exhaust

Full Race Tech suspension ... only because I know what it does ...... 

'

Big Bore before sprockets though. Cause you don't really know what you need/want till you get the big bore in and once you get it in you might change your mind on what you thought you wanted, which could mean you need to purchase again and hence waist money.

• Like 1

'

Big Bore before sprockets though. Cause you don't really know what you need/want till you get the big bore in and once you get it in you might change your mind on what you thought you wanted, which could mean you need to purchase again and hence waist money.

My post was ....  " If I was to do this again "   I am not everybody and my needs are quite different than most because I take pride in being a weirdo !!! ...   ?

all kidding aside I am sure we all realize we all have specific individual needs and need to figure out what works best for "us" or "me" ... etc ... 

I did throw in the disclaimer that said ..... "This only applies to me" ....   ?

and " for me " I don't care what kind of power I generate .... 14/48 is ideal for me !!!  .... I currently run 13/42 

I just have a good feeling about that and may be wrong but, ... I doubt it very much     :goofy:

13/45 is the same as a 14/48...  I just feel a 14 on the front is the right thing to do. Less wear on the chain slider and chain itself. Also for some dumb reason I just think the bike will feel better. 

The 13 front sprocket got popular only because you did not need a new chain and that made it a very cheap performance mod.

I believe you get what you pay for most of the time but, not always. ....

• Like 2

Yeah I was just thinking about your idea today while giving the bike a good flogging. :devil:

I reckon 14/48 is actually pretty good, you always have the option of going 15/48 as well..

I still think it makes more sense to wait and see what the bike is like before deciding what you think gives the best compromise for your specific requirements.

Regardless, I know you are going to smile big time when you install the big bore kit.

The only thing I need to do now is try and bring the weight of the bike down. Nearly high sided the bike in the sand on the side of the road because of the stupid tyres and the weight of the bike

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 2

Are you still running stock tires ?

Yeah of course, that is why I said the tyres are useless :rant: ? , but also the weight of the bike is an issue when the rear of the bike is facing 90 degrees to the front wheel and you have the throttle wide open.

Anyway not that upset about it, I was being a clown pushing the bike to the limit.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 4