Sign in to follow this  

Spark plug boot seal? Dirt in spark plug hole?

I rode today and was going to check my valves when I pulled out the spark plug boot and noticed some dirt around it and on the boot it's self. I'd imagine this wouldn't do any damage. How do you clean that out safely? Also, does anyone make a seal that keeps that shit out of there that goes between the boot cap and the valve cover? I've never seen too much in there before this. Thanks. By the way I did not actually remove the plug. That probably wouldn't be a great idea right now.

Edited by perkybewbs

Does the cylinder head have a drain for the spark plug well ?

If it does .. Use compressed air to force the dirt out , force out the dirt by blowing at the base of the drain on the cylinder head .

Then remove the plug

My honda did, I'm not sure if the yellow one does. Tiny hole? Also it doesn't hurt anything does it? Does anyone sell a seal kit or like a rubber ring to wedge in between to keep shit out of there? I don't like the idea of that. My last bike had a pretty good seal from the ig. Boot but this one has a gap.

Edited by perkybewbs

Does the cylinder head have a drain for the spark plug well ?

If it does .. Use compressed air to force the dirt out , force out the dirt by blowing at the base of the drain on the cylinder head .

Then remove the plug

Backyard has good advice, I pull the plug wire and blow it out from the top though. Either way will clear out the loose stuff. Haven't figured out a perfect solution for the embedded stuff though. Break it loose and mid pressure air or water.

Mike