Fully compressed suspension?

I'm new to mx so I don't know much about suspension. Mine is softer on my bike just because that's what I've always rode trails with. But now I'm doing mx and was just happening to watch a video my dad recorded of me jumping this double. It's probably only like a 50 foot double but I paused it at the right time when I landed and my bike was fully compressed. It was a good landing perfect on the down slope or whatever the term is for that but I'm guessing its not a good thing to have your bike fully compress on every jump I could easily blow a seal right? So I'm just wondering if I need to harden my suspension and if so what would you recommend, I'm open to any new settings I'm a noob so I have no suspension preference!

Did you feel and or hear it bottom on the biggest jump?

Nothing wrong with using all of your suspension travel. In fact, aim to bottom very softly on the biggest jump. If its a hard bottom then you could start with adding compression to firm it up. Add a few clicks front and rear then go for a ride to feel the difference. Do this until you can't feel it bottom. If its still bottoming hard then you need to add oil in your forks and or firming the valving up both front and back.

Edited by StuartO

Ok I think it actually bottoms out a little bit. I've felt it happen a lot before with trail bikes on some backyard jumps and I'm definitely not bottoming out that hard its smooth when I land right but if i'm a little off its kind of rough, maybe bottoming out a tad I don't know what is supposed to feel right or wrong when jumping since I'm new so like you said I'll add a few clicks anyway just to be safe. Definitely wouldn't hurt to play with the suspension a little to see if i can make things feel better. Thanks

Edited by RedFries3

You would know if you bottomed hard. It's a horrible feeling and it sounds like something might even break. It's a hard thud. Try the clickers first and see how it goes. It sounds like your pretty close now anyway.

Yeah exactly I feel a little something but not a super hard thud. I've felt that on my first bike a ttr225 that I eventually jumped on some backyard jumps and even those lame little jumps made it bottom out hard and I actually blew a seal lol. But yeah I'll play with the clickers a little I'm going to the track for practice Saturday and I actually have my first race Sunday! So I'll get it all sorted out by then. Thanks

Yeah exactly I feel a little something but not a super hard thud. I've felt that on my first bike a ttr225 that I eventually jumped on some backyard jumps and even those lame little jumps made it bottom out hard and I actually blew a seal lol. But yeah I'll play with the clickers a little I'm going to the track for practice Saturday and I actually have my first race Sunday! So I'll get it all sorted out by then. Thanks

When my kx used to bottom out it felt like my wrists and ankles were going to shatter!

Horrible feeling

Yeah exactly I would always hurt my wrist too and I just thought I sucked at jumping lol