Sign in to follow this  

Fiber or Kevlar?

Hi y'all CRF450X's owners,

I am a new 09 450x owner in a need for clutch friction plates that will provide performance and last, i am wandering if i should go for fiber or Kevlar?

Also, what will be the best jetting for a machine with after market slip on working between 0 - 600ft?

Any advise will be appreciated,

Thanks 

Oem is best....no reason to use composite infact most wear out sooner reg cork is just fine

Change the plates and the fibers at the same time.

If you want that same feeling you had when it was new, stick with OEM parts.

Make sure you have the inner and out metal plates positioned properly.

Make sure you have the metal plates with the stamping edges oriented properly.

U slip ur clutch?

Normal clutch on my bike,

Thanks Krannie, i am looking for something that will ease the pull a bit and reduce fatigue after a days ride

Normal clutch on my bike,

Thanks Krannie, i am looking for something that will ease the pull a bit and reduce fatigue after a days ride

Plates and fibers will have no effect on pull.

They will have an effect on progressive engagement feel.

If you want a softer clutch pull, you can go with 250X springs (if you don't have 5th gear slipping problems), a high leverage clutch lever (Sunline), or lengthen you clutch actuator arm (an R trick).

If you go with 'off brand' plates and fibers, you will loose the tight engagement and short throw.

Opinions on the TUSK kit? as it goes fairly c heap for a full set

Tusk in my 250 and they work good, they do swell more (then honda oem) when flogged hard changing the lever freeplay till they cool.  Had the same experience with EBC, which look almost identical to the tusk so doesn't surprise me.  Price is definitely right.  If your bike has the judder spring setup you'll at least need to use the 1/2 disc from honda, unless you toss the parts and run a full stack.

Edited by highmarker

Plates and fibers will have no effect on pull.

They will have an effect on progressive engagement feel.

If you want a softer clutch pull, you can go with 250X springs (if you don't have 5th gear slipping problems), a high leverage clutch lever (Sunline), or lengthen you clutch actuator arm (an R trick).

If you go with 'off brand' plates and fibers, you will loose the tight engagement and short throw.

Thanks for all god advise!

So i get an OEM CRF450R actuator arm and through in my X or???

I will see what prices i can get from wiseco for a set and try go with that, i looked at Hinson but over my budget

Thanks for all god advise!

So i get an OEM CRF450R actuator arm and through in my X or???

I will see what prices i can get from wiseco for a set and try go with that, i looked at Hinson but over my budget

No, you cut and lengthen the stock actuator arm

No, you cut and lengthen the stock actuator arm

I see, you mind taking me through this one...?

I also saw a post where the dud was saying that replacing the cable clutch with a CRF250X 2005 cable clutch will help as the bent on it is much softer then on the 09 450x cable so i am going to try this one as well.

On the mean time my mechanic (who says the plates are fine but just where not used for a long time so got sticky) cleaned it with gasoline and put the plates back, they actually do work better now... but still a bit sticky

If it feels grabby, you might check the basket for grooves.  I had a basket that was grooved while the original clutch plates were still in spec.

How about a hydraulic clutch? i love mine on my cr, and will get one for my crf

I am going to experiment hydraulic clutch later on, thanks, i have an idea and after i try it i will post my experience with that 

If it feels grabby, you might check the basket for grooves.  I had a basket that was grooved while the original clutch plates were still in spec.

Thanks BR, I had a look at the basket and it does have very soft marks left by the plates, i think it is still at acceptable levels, what will be the correct procedure to remove those?

Thanks BR, I had a look at the basket and it does have very soft marks left by the plates, i think it is still at acceptable levels, what will be the correct procedure to remove those?

I've read where people remove light marks with a file but I've never attempted it.