Sign in to follow this  

Can I get a rundown on a 2002 YZ250?

What is current and what isn't? Is the frame the same as a 2001 or a 2003? Is the engine more or less the current one? Plastics? Yadda yadda.

I might be able to get a deal on one because I want to upgrade to a steel frame. Just add current suspension, a 325 kit and a Reklue and I'm all set.

02 plastics change and yeah pretty much what comes plastic 02-13 engine changes slightly ..frame 0203 04..u can also get updated plastic kit to make it look like a new 250f

I guess I would first have to want a bike that looked like a four stroke. Maybe in my next lifetime. :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

Shagger, I like your phrasing of "a frame upgrade" to steel.  I know your feelings about aluminum frames.

The update looks crisp it's the only change to image other than graphics in ten years I liked the variation ...as far as frame goes the alum does feel finicky under me in choppy sections other than that I like most of all the alum frame characteristics

I like the grab area on the rear fender/number plates on the update. I'd skip the rest. Everything about the steel frame make it a better woods bike and a lot better ice bike IMO.

I like the grab area on the rear fender/number plates on the update. I'd skip the rest. Everything about the steel frame make it a better woods bike and a lot better ice bike IMO.

Saw a bike at Washougal 2 weeks ago with just the back-half of the update kit and the front fender from a 2010+...  He kept the old-school shrouds and it looked way better that way to me.

As far as your original question, my bikes are 2002 YZ250 and 2010 YZ250 models... Lots of parts commonality.  Just about everything major can be swapped (footpegs, subframe, airbox, engine, shock, forks, plastic, tank, exhaust, etc) aside from a couple little pieces.  if there are specific parts you want to know about let me know and I'll physically check it out.

I think part of what makes the steel framed bikes handle better on hard-packed tracks is the smaller 46mm forks vs the 48mm KYB SSS and KYB AOSS parts on the later bikes.  That point is seldom talked about in the "flex" discussions here.

Either way, it is probably an upgrade.

'02 first gen oval back bone steel frame there was some complaints the frame was too stiff so in 03 they added more flex into it as one of the changes. if you compare the frames side by side you will see 03 frame has 3 holes in between the upper back bone and lower braced area. you will see 3 rubber plugs On the 03 frame think the same applys to the 04 frame.

• Like 1

'02 first gen oval back bone steel frame there was some complaints the frame was too stiff so in 03 they added more flex into it as one of the changes. if you compare the frames side by side you will see 03 frame has 3 holes in between the upper back bone and lower braced area. you will see 3 rubber plugs On the 03 frame think the same applys to the 04 frame.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 03 and 04 were the same (less rigid than '02) and were considered the best frame.

OK. So I guess I'll wait for an 03-04 to pop up. 

I'm going to Minnesota for a couple of weeks to see my bikes, truck, camper and dog in October. I was thinking about getting a bike, suspension, 325 kit and Rekluse to slap together for a lark.

I only ride trials here in The Netherlands. Today for practice and an event on Sunday. The place is twenty minutes from here even if you ride a bicycle there.