Special tool to remove slot headed inspection plugs in generator cover

Does anybody know where to buy special "screwdrivers" to remove the slot headed inspection plugs in the generator cover? Most of the the plugs I see are chewed up from having a conventional slot head screwdriver applied and I want to avoid causing this damage.

RH XR200 cover.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Also, does anybody know where to get hex headed replacement plugs? Preferably in UK but any lead is welcome.

RH XR200 cover hex.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Are the hex headed plug a Honda part on another model perhaps?

Thankyou.

Edited by Esteve

The first problem is people tighten the plugs "too tight".............just need to be snug.  The special tool I looked at was wedge shaped, had rounded corners and didn't fit well at all.........I passed on it.  I have a extra large square shank screw driver that works well on them (if they are not over tightened).  I think one could make a tool by finding a hardened flat washer the right width, cutting a chunk out of it and shaping it on the grinder to get square edges and full contact.  Then carefully welding it to a tee handle made out of cold roll rod.  I've been going to make one myself someday. ?

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

When you run into a allen that was over tightened, then someone not having a metric size tried to use a std size (which is too small) to remove it.................the straight slot won't seem "near" as terrible a design! ?

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

I can cut a straight slot with a grinder wheel in a bad Allen  if need Be but even My 20 year old  xr's are fine the only thing on the whole bike that was hard to remove was the straight slot covers over the caliper retention Allen bolts  LOL

if those straight slots actually take a special tool then I  would bet most are buggered 

I can cut a straight slot with a grinder wheel in a bad Allen  if need Be but even My 20 year old  xr's are fine the only thing on the whole bike that was hard to remove was the straight slot covers over the caliper retention Allen bolts  LOL

if those straight slots actually take a special tool then I  would bet most are buggered 

Zim,

What part of AZ are you located in.? (PHX/TUC)

I'm South of Gila Bend on 85. Do you ever ride at ACP.?

JL

Either one can be buggered up, "aluminum" is much easier for both to be damaged............steel much tougher.  Thread size in relation to drive size and torque tightened to also plays in.  It's not a special tool at all that's required for the slot type........just a big one.  A basic rule, "do not over tighten", and............."the tool must fit the fastener" for slot or allen................ ?  On the old Honda 4-cyls. CB350 and up, it was the oil filter bolt people damaged.  Over tightening................ and wrong tool with a "bull in a china closet" approach was the problem! ?   

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

I use a large washer or a quarter. I've actually broken a screw driver trying to open one of those darn things. Don't know why they can't cast a hex-head "bolt" in 'em.

Where people are over tightening them this bad with a "usually too small size screw driver"................can you imagine how much "more" they would over tighten with a bolt head sized hex? :excuseme:  

Old School Al

• Like 1

I made one from a large flat blade socket.  It used 1/2" drive and was about 3/16" thick.  I used the grinder to slightly round the side edges so that it fit into the curved slots.  It allows me to use a "T" handle or a hand Impact Wrench if needed to open those caps that haven't been worked on in several years.  It has been correctly stated that IF the cap is frozen into the side cover, it will be tough to get out regardless of what tool you use and the Allen wrench will also round out the center of the cap.  If the cap is tight/tough, use finess and penetrating lube rather than brute force.  The caps and side covers aren't very tough in the first place. 

So it looks as if it will be a homemade tool for me then. The "washer" solution should work out.

For a Hex plug replacement, the 1993 XR250R Australia, for example, has the same size plugs, 30mm and 14mm (and same threads?). Both 14mm plugs use the same O-ring dimensions but the O-ring for the 30mm plug is different between models; XR250 = 27 x 2 mm and XR200 = 27.4 x 2.4 so there might be an issue with the fit/seal - the O-rings have different part numbers

http://images.cmsnl....000-01_482e.jpg

Has anybody tried replacing slotted caps with Hex caps?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know where to buy special "screwdrivers" to remove the slot headed inspection plugs in the generator cover? Most of the the plugs I see are chewed up from having a conventional slot head screwdriver applied and I want to avoid causing this damage.

📎RH XR200 cover.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Also, does anybody know where to get hex headed replacement plugs? Preferably in UK but any lead is welcome.

📎RH XR200 cover hex.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Thankyou.

📎RH XR200 cover.jpg

(click to enlarge)

📎RH XR200 cover hex.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Thankyou.

I bought mine on ebay; it's called a Motion Pro timing plug wrench and cost around $ 18.00.

I bought an old hammer type impact driver at a garage sale many years ago. It came with around 15 different sized bits. One of them is the perfect size to remove that slotted inspection cap. I call it a “coin slot head” because that’s what it’s called on firearms. The bit I have is about ¾ inch wide and rounded just about the radius of a 25 cent piece. Works good.

find someone to turn one up on a lathe. you can put any head style you want on it. i would make one with a knurled head for a no tool system. a lot harder to hand tighten something too tight opposed to using a tool. 

Edited by MCRIPPPer

Many many thanks. Using "Motion Pro timing plug wrench" found it in one.

Arrived today. The smallest and the middle size are a perfect fit for the TLR200. I did tap them with a hammer/block of hardwood to make sure the threads were free first; a warm engine also assures free threads.

MP-timing-plug-wrench.jpg

Edited by Esteve