Sign in to follow this  

my clutch is sliping

my 1994 xr250's clutch is starting to slip. do you thingk i should just get new plates and springs? or am i going to need a whole new clutch

Edited by 1994xr250r

my 1994 xr250's clutch is starting to slip. do you thingk i should just get new plates and springs? or am i going to need a whole new clutch

Do you have a manual?  If not, that's your first step.  The manual will tell you the thickness that the friction and steel plates should be, length of the springs, etc.  If they are out of tolerance, replace them.  

Harbor Freight has calipers for as little as $10 on sale.   Look at coupons in Dirt Rider magazine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-47257.html

Why clutches slip:

• Cable too tight
  • Worn fiber plates
  • Worn steel plates
  • Worn springs
  • Notches in clutch basket.
  • Oil additives

This is a really badly notched clutch basket.  The basket fingers should be smooth.   Slight notches can be CAREFULLY filed down.  That didn't fix my bike.  Even with a new clutch kit, it slipped.  I had to get a used clutch basket on eBay for my XR200.     One half of the basket fixed the XR200, the other half fixed my SL100.   Well spend $30 as I recall.

notched_basket.jpg

FIRST and EASY and FREE thing to do is adjust the clutch cable

I'm not bashing anyone at all but a LOT of people don't understand how to adjust a clutch cable.

It's in the manual, if you don't have one it's the same on all bikes, tons of info on here and other forums.

You need a little (1/4" ??) slack (free play) in the cable, if the clutch still slips then it's time for new plates.

I can't begin to count the bikes I've bought, seller said it need a clutch... I'd bring it home, adjust the cable, wash it off and make $200 - $300

Since our XRs share engine oil with the clutch we need to be careful what kind of engine oil we use, some car oils have additives that will cause clutch slippage.

What brand and weight of oil are you using?

Since our XRs share engine oil with the clutch we need to be careful what kind of engine oil we use, some car oils have additives that will cause clutch slippage.

What brand and weight of oil are you using?

castrol motorcycle oil