Stator or Regulator

2004 WR

The stator has the floated ground mod from Baja Designs

Bike started running very bad after putting it together from some time sitting.

I thought it was the battery. Charged it and did it again.

New battery and it's happening again

I think I tested correctly with the multi meter. It says 11.6 at idle and not much more with the motor revved

With the stator mod I installed the regulator that I got from BD

My ignition was fine before I started screwing with it

I paid money I didn't have to make my bike not run.

To be clear I'm not saying BD is at fault. I'm saying I fixed something to make it broken.

Is the stator not doing its job or is the regulator to blame? I really really need my bike for a trip next week.

• TT Sponsor

Hi I also pmed you back but thought id respond here to

Is the bike running exactly how it did before? The ignition side and lighting side of the stator do not affect one another. 
It says 11.6V after the ground float and with the new reg?

Thanks

Mike

I too just floated my ground as per the directions downloaded from BD and installed the BD rectifier bike is extremely hard to start. When I checked the ohms when I was done I had .4 ohms.   When it does start I hit the "on" position light switch to turn on the brand new HID and it is very very dim then when bike dies wont start either. Kick or E-start.  I have not read anything out yet other than putting a meter on the Battery. I had 12.7 then drops to 10.7 while cranking. I also unhooked the HID light and balest when trying to crank still no joy. I am going to change the battery Tuesday  just to be sure even though it is only about 3 months old. It is an Wal-Mart Never start (needed a one on a Sunday and only place was open)

Update!  figured out the dim HID after floating the ground.  The kit I ordered has a HID bulb and a back up bulb incase HID fails and plugs in to stock harness and it is 3 prong just like the stock one. opening up the stock plug there are 3 slots and 3 wires going to 2 prongs with the 3rd one vacant.  after installing 3rd clip and a new wire direct to the battery via a on/off switch and inline fuse everything works fine. pretty sure starting problem is most likely being caused by the cheap ass Wal-Mart battery.  Brand new Shorai on order now.  I gave update because I didn't want to sound like I was bashing BD.  When I talked to them on the phone to order they were awesome. My situation is the nut doing the install NOT the product.

• Like 1

Glad you got everything worked out! If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

Changed out the battery still no joy. I have no spark. I slaved in the CDI, coil, and other parts onto another WR and all worked. The other WR's parts did not work on mine.  I am going to call you guys to see what bone headed thing I might have done. 

• TT Sponsor

Changed out the battery still no joy. I have no spark. I slaved in the CDI, coil, and other parts onto another WR and all worked. The other WR's parts did not work on mine.  I am going to call you guys to see what bone headed thing I might have done. 

Hey Ajetmech

Did we talk earlier today on the phone?

Hey Ajetmech

Did we talk earlier today on the phone?

Yes that was me. I figured out what the real problem of the intermitant spark. In the ground float directions it says read 10 times before starting. Welp my dumb butt should have read it 12 times and looked at the very well detailed picture 15 times. Somehow I managed to cut the wrong clip and solder up that conection. So I jerry-rigged (pulled clip out of correct slot and mashed it into wrong one I cut) back together enough to start the bike and rev it a few times as well as checking all the lights and charginging system the way it was supossed to have been in the first place.  After talking with you guys I ordered up a new stator from the web only to find that on was bad (or bad pick up) still waiting on parts.  All I can can say  Thanks for the awsome help and pointing me in the right direction. I should not have been cheap I should have spent the 30 bucks plus shipping and had you guys do it all for me. This way I know it would have been correct and I would not be out so much $$$ for my own dumb a#s move. Lesson learned next time leave it to the pro's. I just wish there was a perminent fix to that clip so I dont have to worry about it falling out and then I would have a spare set up.

We have the pick up coils separate and also have some used  OEM stators if you need some help.

The one I bought online that had the issues is under warenty so they are replacing.  After looking at what I did wrong I wished there was a cure for stupid because I sure did need it. I am only posting so that it may help others and also to give shout puts to the great companies on here willing to give advice as well.