I need some advice from experienced DRZ owners

Hello,

I am really wanting to buy my first bike and have decided on a drz 400 sm. I have found a few on Craigslist but all have been high mileage. There is one i really like but it's more than I wanted to spend, but I don't want to buy one that hasn't been cared for either. This one seems like a lot of money for a bike that old, but the miles are low. Do the low miles overrule the fact that the bike is almost 8 years old? He told me he will take $4300, but I don't think he will go any lower. Is this a good deal?

Here is the ad for the bike

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/3987710475.html

Edited by FunkyPanther

I always like to do some comparisons to other bikes even though prices can differ per area. This is the best SM I could find in our area today. Not that you would have something shipped that far but hope it helps with comparisons to what else is out there, even far away. This SM has some pretty nice "additions" too. It should be sitting in my shop right now at that price! I'd buy lower miles over age, but "cared for" low miles is critical as you stated. Good luck shopping, looks like you are on the right track  ?

Sorry, lost my links here. This should be it....

http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/3970635239.html

Edited by TheMotoPros

First your link is dead. Second you can get a new s model for $5800 OTD. Who would buy a used 2008 for $4300 with no warranty? price on that is high if you ask me. I ran into the same issue and that’s why I just bought a new one. I paid $5800 OTD back in November 2012 and didn’t haggle very much. Maybe you could get a new one for less IDK...Some people don’t realize things depreciate as soon as they roll off the show room floor, Then they wonder why it doesn’t sell...

First your link is dead. Second you can get a new s model for $5800 OTD. Who would buy a used 2008 for $4300 with no warenty? price on that is high if you ask me. I ran into the same issue and thats why I just bought a new one. I payed $5800 OTD back in november 2012 and didnt haggle very much. Maybe you could get a new one for less IDK...Some people dont relize things depreciate as soon as they roll off the show room floor, Then they wonder why it doesnt sell... thats a $3000 bike Keep looking.

Fixed the link, it's actually a 2006. My budget is only around $4000, I would love to have a new one. Seems like even the sm's I have seen around here that have over 16000 miles are still around $3500. Thanks for advice, I figured people on this forum had more bike buying experience and could help me out.

Fixed the link, it's actually a 2006. My budget is only around $4000, I would love to have a new one. Seems like even the sm's I have seen around here that have over 16000 miles are still around $3500. Thanks for advice, I figured people on this forum had more bike buying experience and could help me out.

Doesnt look bad show up to look it over wave your $3900 in front of his face he will say no tell him the best you can do is $4000.00 cash in hand and he I can tell you he WILL take it. how low are the miles? things to check...is there a lean or does he have the title? ensure the bike is in sound condition.

He has it listed as a 2009

Doesnt look bad show up to look it over wave your $3900 in front of his face he will say no tell him the best you can do is $4000.00 cash in hand and he I can tell you he WILL take it. how low are the miles? things to check...is there a lean or does he have the title? ensure the bike is in sound condition.

He has it listed as a 2009

I think you are looking at the link from Spokane that TheMotoPros sent me, that one is a 2009. Is it still a good deal if it is a 2006? I have emailed him a few times over the past few weeks and he seemed like there was no way he would come any lower than $4300, but I like your idea. I might give that a shot, just didn't want to spend too much.

I paid 4k for an 06 SM with 5000 miles. His seems overpriced, b/c I didn't feel like i got an amazing deal on mine. Beyond the price of the bike there are a lot more expenses as well... first time oil change, insurance, new tires, maintenance etc so if your budget is only 4k I wouldn't pay more than that.

That guy sounds like a god damn salesman

"One of the most fun bikes I've ever owned!" This line makes me question the miles on the bike? If it is such fun why does it only have 2665 miles in a state like Texas where you have a long riding season?  Thats less than 400 miles a year on a bike with street tires??? "Kouba links to improve cornering"??? :smashpc:  Ummm ya I dont think so...

Yeah I thought it was strange to have such low miles on an older bike. I would definitely remove that lowering link. I am really not sure if I think this bike is even worth $4000. I wish something else would come along, everything else around here has like 19k miles and multiple owners.