What oil are you putting in your bike?

Don't want to start a huge discussion, but haven't found many posts about what oil/weight people are putting in their 2013/2014 crf250l's besides the stuff from the dealer.

Manual states 10w-30 which is thinner than most 4 stroke thumpers and that just seems odd to me. I'm not gonna be bringing my bike back to the dealer for it's 600 mile service because I'm a BMW technician so I'd rather save the money and do it my self. What other stuff do they perform in the service? 

Don't want to start a huge discussion, but haven't found many posts about what oil/weight people are putting in their 2013/2014 crf250l's besides the stuff from the dealer.

Manual states 10w-30 which is thinner than most 4 stroke thumpers and that just seems odd to me. I'm not gonna be bringing my bike back to the dealer for it's 600 mile service because I'm a BMW technician so I'd rather save the money and do it my self. What other stuff do they perform in the service? 

I am also interested in just everybody posting what oil they use and why .... no big discussion like you said. Just to see what most people use. 

as far as other stuff they do on the first service .... inspect the bike and check the valves. I did not take mine in either as I feel it is just a very expensive oil change. 

Why is a BMW tech riding a Honda? :thumbsup:  :lol:

Everything that needs to be checked/changed is documented in the owners manual you got with the bike

Edited by Positron007

I'm running Klotz 10W-30 in mine.

Been using Klotz in all my mikes for years with no oil related problems popping up.

I was running Honda 10W-40 during break in, but switched to syn after a few hundred miles.

Available at Rocky Mountain.

35-243-2T.jpg?1351184163

Im running Motul 7100 10W/30 but thinking of changing to 10W/40 now that I have the big piston in the bike.

Mobil-one  T/4 in 10/40 weight or is that 4/t?? :lol:

Motul 5100 10W/40.

Last few changes... Castrol 10w40 motorcycle oil... cause it's what was on sale at Pep Boys a while ago and I bought like 20 quarts.  :)

I did my first oil change at about 250 miles, I'm kinda anal on oil changes. I used Delvac conventional 15w-40. After reading up on oil, the blend designed for diesels has all the stuff you need in a motorcycle. After a couple more changes and finish the break in period I will switch to Rotella synthetic 5W-40. That's what I run in my pick up.

So I recently had this discussion with one of the honda techs at my local bike shop. I'm using the new honda HP4S full synthetic (its a red bottle with a silver cap) 10w30 oil. The tech said its good for the clutch and lots of people have been using it in their CBR250s as well. I've got about 250 miles on it since i changed and it seems to be shifting better from 1st to 2nd. 

H08C35-SYN-1030M.JPG

So I recently had this discussion with one of the honda techs at my local bike shop. I'm using the new honda HP4S full synthetic (its a red bottle with a silver cap) 10w30 oil. The tech said its good for the clutch and lots of people have been using it in their CBR250s as well. I've got about 250 miles on it since i changed and it seems to be shifting better from 1st to 2nd. 

H08C35-SYN-1030M.JPG

I'm running the HP4S in mine too.  It certainly did smooth out the shifting but I'm not convinced it's worth the extra money over any other 10W-30 syn.

I did my first oil change at about 250 miles, I'm kinda anal on oil changes. I used Delvac conventional 15w-40. After reading up on oil, the blend designed for diesels has all the stuff you need in a motorcycle. After a couple more changes and finish the break in period I will switch to Rotella synthetic 5W-40. That's what I run in my pick up.

I did mine today at 300 miles using 10 40 honda oil the stuff I drained out was like water.

Amsoil 10W-30 full synthetic motorcycle oil.

Amsoil 10W-30 full synthetic motorcycle oil.

That's the oil I want to use but can't buy it locally, guess I will have to order some online.

Honda advise 10w30 in most their late model bike, 1st one I remember was the goldwing.  Even my crf manual specs it.   One reason why is that is the grade oil they prove almost every motor on in the testing phase (read that in Red Rider some time ago).  Another reason maybe is a jaso MA 10w30 is hard to find anywhere other than a honda shop.  Most off the shelf auto store 10w30 oils are energy conserving or jasoMB,  exception would be some of the "high mileage" varients that are blended at the thick end of the 30w range. Valvoline HM semi-syn's is a good one fwiw.    Honda USA will often change the advisory to 10w40 in their literature because it is more readily available and eliminates the wrong 10w30 being put in. There is no "wrong" 10w40 as it's too thick to be energy conserving no matter what additive it contains.

My friend runs Castrol 10-40w in his bikes. I think it give the bikes more life.

Although i dont have a crf250l I've always used BelRay products in my street/dirt bikes and never had any oil related problems

I like the Bel-Ray EXP Synthetic Ester Blend 4T Engine Oil and its available in 10w30

Mobil-one  T/4 in 10/40 weight or is that 4/t?? :lol:

same here... and i can get it at walmart or pepboys for $9 a quart...  the local bike shop only keeps bel-ray in stock it seems...  

I'm running the HP4S in mine too.  It certainly did smooth out the shifting but I'm not convinced it's worth the extra money over any other 10W-30 syn.

So who makes Honda oil coz they certainly dont?

My friend runs Castrol 10-40w in his bikes. I think it give the bikes more life.

Well I can top that!

I use Purple and it makes my dick harder, so there!

Believe what u want, just use quality!