Sign in to follow this  

Planning Tecate Hare Scramble then 2 days parked at Rancho Santa Veronica - Advice/Tracks...

I am planning on racing the Tecate Hare Scrambles on December 7th.  When I went last year, I heard there were trails around where we will be staying at Rancho Santa Veronica.  Anybody got the low down on the area?  We are planning to race Saturday and then ride on Sunday and Monday.

I will have a group of B/A riders.  We are looking for primarily trails, but fully understand the need for road, especially for a cool destination along the way.  I am open to riding back towards Tecate, or towards any direction for fun trails.  I thought about a run to Mikes Sky Ranch, but it seems it would be fire road dominant for a newbie.

Any advice on trails and what you feel would be cool to ride for a couple days is appreciated. 

Edited by Stenmash

The trails in the area are kept on the down-low... and for good reason. Idiots with quads and other goons will find their way onto pristine single track and destroy it. In addition, most of the 'good' riding is on private land, especially around the area of the Tecate HS. GPS is highly frowned upon.

If you've never been to Mike's, it's worth the dirt roads and highway and an easy ride from Rancho Santa Veronica.

I understand protecting the trails. No quads in our group. Most everyone that would be going is active in trail maintenance and advocacy in AZ. It will be a responsible group. Feel free to pm.

I understand protecting the trails. No quads in our group. Most everyone that would be going is active in trail maintenance and advocacy in AZ. It will be a responsible group. Feel free to pm.

We look forward to seeing you guys at our race. If you want extra trails you can enter the Ironman Class and you will have a really full day of trails on race day :-). As you said above you are responsible trail stewards at home so you will have that same respect for riding in the Tecate area. You may find a few guys at the race who know the area a bit and are planning to stay over or you can probably find some good stuff with a bit of exploring. Edited by TecateRay

I'm no expert, I'll stay out. let the pro's tell you what's good.

Edited by Cosmo

Umm yeah i think i will pass on the whole single track discussion.....

its really cold in Tecate in Dec.?

Guadalupe Hot Springs via rumarosa grade trail, for a night of camping and soaking is a nice destination ride after the race. 

Umm yeah i think i will pass on the whole single track discussion.....

its really cold in Tecate in Dec.?

Guadalupe Hot Springs via rumarosa grade trail, for a night of camping and soaking is a nice destination ride after the race.

Last year it was warm. Year before it was freezing ass cold. The Baja weather goddess is fickle.

Thanks for all the advice and I completely understand.  Any good ideas are appreciated.

Had a blast last year at the race and after.  It truely is one of the best races/events around.  I did Ironman last year and will do it again this year.  We rode Ocotillo Wells on the way back to AZ and it was fun, but not really my kind of riding.  I guess we will just play it by ear.