Sign in to follow this  

First ride on my 500XC-W, Advice needed

Got to finally ride my new (to me) 12' 500xc-w yesterday. Love it! its 10x the bike my CRF is/was (selling soon) the bike is quick to turn, yet stable, the egros feel much better. and the EFI and electric start is nothing short of awesome! The suspension is so plush! Worth every penny!

There are a few things I would like to change/modify to fit my riding style better. 

1. Larger pegs. I think this one is pretty normal and a lot of people upgrade.
  2. Enduro Eng Seat.
  3. Radiator Supports and Guards.
  4. Steering stabilizer. Seams to turn almost too fast I don't know if the rake is less than most jap bikes but I think a stabilizer would be fitting.
  5. Auto clutch. Can see the advantage with this many gears. With my CRF I can ride most technical sections of single track in 1st gear and never leave it because its so tall, with my 500 now I find my self going between 1,2 & 3 all the time. 
  6. More "Pep" from the motor. While the 500 has gobs of power the delivery seams to be a little soft. like it wont rev fast enough. Is this something i can change with a map switch? I've heard porting this motor really wakes it up.

One other small issue I had. I have my Garmin Montana 600 GPS mounted and wired into the bike. However, at random times the GPS unit will try to shut down because the voltage drops to low for the GPS to charge and want to turn off. Any ideas? Larger Stator? I have thought about the Garmin 62s. 

Got to finally ride my new (to me) 12' 500xc-w yesterday. Love it! its 10x the bike my CRF is/was (selling soon) the bike is quick to turn, yet stable, the egros feel much better. and the EFI and electric start is nothing short of awesome! The suspension is so plush! Worth every penny!

There are a few things I would like to change/modify to fit my riding style better.

• Larger pegs. I think this one is pretty normal and a lot of people upgrade.
  • Enduro Eng Seat.
  • Radiator Supports and Guards.
  • Steering stabilizer. Seams to turn almost too fast I don't know if the rake is less than most jap bikes but I think a stabilizer would be fitting.
  • Auto clutch. Can see the advantage with this many gears. With my CRF I can ride most technical sections of single track in 1st gear and never leave it because its so tall, with my 500 now I find my self going between 1,2 & 3 all the time.
  • More "Pep" from the motor. While the 500 has gobs of power the delivery seams to be a little soft. like it wont rev fast enough. Is this something i can change with a map switch? I've heard porting this motor really wakes it up.
One other small issue I had. I have my Garmin Montana 600 GPS mounted and wired into the bike. However, at random times the GPS unit will try to shut down because the voltage drops to low for the GPS to charge and want to turn off. Any ideas? Larger Stator? I have thought about the Garmin 62s.

I put a set of fastway adventure pegs on my 450 and they are AWESOME! They are both wider and significantly longer. Excellent feel and better control of the bike. Plus you can replace the cleats

I actually went with the KTM power parts low seat on mine but I'm only 5' 10" so it helped a little.

Steering stabilizer all the way!! I have a GPR V4 sub mount on the 450 and have another one on the way for my 300. I consider them a necessity!

I would play with your gearing some before diving in to an auto clutch. You should be able to get the effect your after with a sprocket swap. I'm running 14/52 and it seems to be the magic combination on my 450.

I think your just going to need to tailor your riding style to the 500's power delivery. You are used to a motocross motor. Fast/High revving is not that engines trait. It is designed to be smooth and broad. Try getting on the throttle much sooner than you did the CR it should help. You may also look in to a tuner as well which will allow you to play with the mapping. Also the gearing I previously mentioned will pla Pretty much a sea of orange down here in AZ. I ride with 30 guys and all are on KTM but one! Nobody I know does any porting or increases compression on their motors. Its not really needed.

Let's see some pic's of this new to you beast!

I put a set of fastway adventure pegs on my 450 and they are AWESOME! They are both wider and significantly longer. Excellent feel and better control of the bike. Plus you can replace the cleats

I actually went with the KTM power parts low seat on mine but I'm only 5' 10" so it helped a little.

Steering stabilizer all the way!! I have a GPR V4 sub mount on the 450 and have another one on the way for my 300. I consider them a necessity!

I would play with your gearing some before diving in to an auto clutch. You should be able to get the effect your after with a sprocket swap. I'm running 14/52 and it seems to be the magic combination on my 450.

I think your just going to need to tailor your riding style to the 500's power delivery. You are used to a motocross motor. Fast/High revving is not that engines trait. It is designed to be smooth and broad. Try getting on the throttle much sooner than you did the CR it should help. You may also look in to a tuner as well which will allow you to play with the mapping. Also the gearing I previously mentioned will pla Pretty much a sea of orange down here in AZ. I ride with 30 guys and all are on KTM but one! Nobody I know does any porting or increases compression on their motors. Its not really needed.

Let's see some pic's of this new to you beast!

Yeah Im a little taller than you! lol 6' 1" :) Going with the tall soft seat

Havent gotten to take many photos yet. Only thing I've done to it so far is a GPS mount and a Carbon fiber skid plate

null_zps6eba6e79.jpg

Nice, bike congrats!

I just went for a ride with a friend on his new 2014' 500.  He was coming of  Honda 450X.

He loved the KTM...  the brakes, the linear power and in particular the suspension.

I was on an 06' 300 XC-W with red PV spring and some Slavens mods (shaved head and decked cylinder) and it was a lot of work keeping up.

we were riding at 10K ft +/- so both bikes were down on power.

I would a suggest a Seat Concepts seat he will build it any way you want it....they are wider....I highly recommend it.....I got the orange stitching and carbon fiber sides.....

Nice, bike congrats!

I just went for a ride with a friend on his new 2014' 500.  He was coming of  Honda 450X.

He loved the KTM...  the brakes, the linear power and in particular the suspension.

I was on an 06' 300 XC-W with red PV spring and some Slavens mods (shaved head and decked cylinder) and it was a lot of work keeping up.

we were riding at 10K ft +/- so both bikes were down on power.

Yeah I came a CRF450R and the change is amazing! I forgot to mention the brakes, On my CRF its damn hard to lock up the front tire, on the 500.... damn hard not to! lol in a good way

I would a suggest a Seat Concepts seat he will build it any way you want it....they are wider....I highly recommend it.....I got the orange stitching and carbon fiber sides.....

Thanks! never seen that, the orange sticking in sick

Hey you got a pic of the seat from te side and top you could post? I've been looking at those seats for my 500.

They look sweet! My buddy just put one on his 500 with carbon fiber sides, gripper top and orange stitching. Planning on putting one on mine soon.

MDT...no expert on the KTM's, but with my Husaberg FE450 , I had the ECM remapped from stock to the "competition" map.  In addition, you can add the JD Jetting tuner that allows you to fine tune from whatever base ECM map you have installed (stock or competition).  Not sure about which Colorado KTM dealer can do the remap (I had my Husaberg done by Gunnison Motorsports).

The ignition map switch is a separate deal that only changes ignition timing.  I dont notice a ton of difference between the settings on my Husaberg.

It's easy spending other people's money, but I had a buddy install a Rekluse Z-Start Pro on his WR450F.....wow....I want one now.  I think you would love that on single track when you need to pick your way through steep rocky uphills or when you need to lift the front tire over large obstacles.  It also seems to give you the ability to run a higher gear than without it.

One thing that isnt on your list to think about is the KTM electric fan kit (I installed a lower temp switch so it turns on earlier than the one provided in the kit).  Frankly I am surprised how often it kicks in when riding single track.  More of an insurance policy, but on the Husberg 70 degree motor and the exhaust pipe routing under the tank  I was concerned about extra temps boiling the fuel or causing vapor lock.  Would rather have my motor running at a cooler consistent temperature.

p.s. and congrats on the new bike....I'm jealous.  The KTM 500 XC-W seems like a perfect choice here in Colorado.

One more thing....you may want one of the high dollar pipe guards to protect the pipe and keep from melting your boots or pants, but if you want a low dollar stainless heat guard, take a look at the DRC (about $23):

http://www.drcproducts.com/exhaust/d31-02/index.html

Works great on my  Husaberg and almost looks stock.  Of course, I was only looking for a heat guard due to the routing of the pipe.  You can get DRC/Zeta stuff from Wheeling Cycle Supply.

MDT...no expert on the KTM's, but with my Husaberg FE450 , I had the ECM remapped from stock to the "competition" map. In addition, you can add the JD Jetting tuner that allows you to fine tune from whatever base ECM map you have installed (stock or competition). Not sure about which Colorado KTM dealer can do the remap (I had my Husaberg done by Gunnison Motorsports).

The ignition map switch is a separate deal that only changes ignition timing. I dont notice a ton of difference between the settings on my Husaberg.

It's easy spending other people's money, but I had a buddy install a Rekluse Z-Start Pro on his WR450F.....wow....I want one now. I think you would love that on single track when you need to pick your way through steep rocky uphills or when you need to lift the front tire over large obstacles. It also seems to give you the ability to run a higher gear than without it.

One thing that isnt on your list to think about is the KTM electric fan kit (I installed a lower temp switch so it turns on earlier than the one provided in the kit). Frankly I am surprised how often it kicks in when riding single track. More of an insurance policy, but on the Husberg 70 degree motor and the exhaust pipe routing under the tank I was concerned about extra temps boiling the fuel or causing vapor lock. Would rather have my motor running at a cooler consistent temperature.

p.s. and congrats on the new bike....I'm jealous. The KTM 500 XC-W seems like a perfect choice here in Colorado.

I just moved to Tucson AZ from Colorado and used to ride with the OP Twitch when he was on the CRF. I'd like to think I converted him to KTM lol!!

When I was riding in Colorado I installed a fan kit and engine ice and never had an issue again. Then I moved to Tucson! Right back to boiling the coolant and even boiling the fuel in my 3.5 gallon desert tank. The fix? For the coolant I installed the KTM oversized water pump impeller kit. Coolant problem solved. For the fuel issue I pulled the tank and lined the underside with that heavy duty stick on heat shield. Another problem solved. The only problem now is me!! Riding in 110° heat is no joke! It beats you down in no time flat!

MDT...no expert on the KTM's, but with my Husaberg FE450 , I had the ECM remapped from stock to the "competition" map.  In addition, you can add the JD Jetting tuner that allows you to fine tune from whatever base ECM map you have installed (stock or competition).  Not sure about which Colorado KTM dealer can do the remap (I had my Husaberg done by Gunnison Motorsports).

The ignition map switch is a separate deal that only changes ignition timing.  I dont notice a ton of difference between the settings on my Husaberg.

It's easy spending other people's money, but I had a buddy install a Rekluse Z-Start Pro on his WR450F.....wow....I want one now.  I think you would love that on single track when you need to pick your way through steep rocky uphills or when you need to lift the front tire over large obstacles.  It also seems to give you the ability to run a higher gear than without it.

One thing that isnt on your list to think about is the KTM electric fan kit (I installed a lower temp switch so it turns on earlier than the one provided in the kit).  Frankly I am surprised how often it kicks in when riding single track.  More of an insurance policy, but on the Husberg 70 degree motor and the exhaust pipe routing under the tank  I was concerned about extra temps boiling the fuel or causing vapor lock.  Would rather have my motor running at a cooler consistent temperature.

p.s. and congrats on the new bike....I'm jealous.  The KTM 500 XC-W seems like a perfect choice here in Colorado.

I was hopping to have access to to the mapping software so I can make a change, ride it, make a change... and so on.

I actually already have the fan kit on the bike. to combat over heating also I run a much leaner mix of coolant. 90% pure water, 5% Glycol and 5% Water Wetting agent about 30% better at transfering heat than engine ice which is really just 50/50. even on my crf with no fan it never overheated. There also seams to be plenty of room under the motor for air to move and not boil the tank, as of now no problems but Like Hezz said the heat shield tape sounds like a good idea.

I was hopping to have access to to the mapping software so I can make a change, ride it, make a change... and so on.

I actually already have the fan kit on the bike. to combat over heating also I run a much leaner mix of coolant. 90% pure water, 5% Glycol and 5% Water Wetting agent about 30% better at transfering heat than engine ice which is really just 50/50. even on my crf with no fan it never overheated. There also seams to be plenty of room under the motor for air to move and not boil the tank, as of now no problems but Like Hezz said the heat shield tape sounds like a good idea.

Not exactly the same but the JD tuner lets you adjust 6 different variables plus and minus from the current installed ECM map. Change one variable at a time and ride, change again, etc. 

Husaberg also provides a user setting tool that allows you to play with the ECM....but without having expertise on what I am doing and not having a laptop....I didnt go that route.  Perhaps KTM provides a user setting tool for the 2012 that you can download from their website.

Since you want a steering damper, I and many others recommend the Scotts damper over and above the GPR damper.  The Scotts works better, has separate high and low speed damping adjustments, damps only away from center, is much more adjustable, and is more reliable.

• Like 1

Since you want a steering damper, I and many others recommend the Scotts damper over and above the GPR damper. The Scotts works better, has separate high and low speed damping adjustments, damps only away from center, is much more adjustable, and is more reliable.

The Scotts is a great product. Only reason I use a GPR over a Scotts is because I won't mount a damper over the bars. Don't want my body coming in contact with it in the event of a get off. Sub mounting the Scotts raises your bars 1"+. That's great for tall riders but I don't like my bars that high. The GPR sub mount barely raises the bars over their stock position. May not be a big deal for many but an inch of bar height just doesn't fit me well. Like I say, still a great product, just wish they could slim the package down. I have a GPR on my 450 and one on the way for my new 300. Th