Sign in to follow this  

Motorcycle Carrier With Towing Ball?

Im looking for a way to tow my boat and dirt bike. Do they make a hitch carrier with a towing ball so I can put the dirt bike on the carrier and tow the boat?

Not that I have ever seen. It would almost have to be a custom built monster to handle the weight of the bike plus the tongue weight of the boat. Not to mention the hitch capacity of your rig.

They make carriers with receivers, but too long of a stinger for the load will cause more problems than it solves.

Versahauler is the only brand I've seen that offers this. You going to need a 750lb TW hitch, class 5 I think.

I had to build my own to accomplish that task and even then the cantilever from the normal hitch t the new location isn't ideal  so make sure your tow vehicle can handle the weight

P8180610.jpg

I had to build my own to accomplish that task and even then the cantilever from the normal hitch t the new location isn't ideal so make sure your tow vehicle can handle the weight

Posted Image

How big of a trailer did you pull with that set up?

Rough calculations looks like with leverage its a pretty big tongue weight multiplied onto the hitch.

My  hitch extension holds no bike weight at all   just the winch  the weight for the bike is on the  two outer square tubes into their own receivers with quick release ins

so a double PWC single axle  trailer or dual axle boat trailer ( like I have )    should be fine  but I will likely only use it with the pwc trailer or a light cargo trailer  this is much thicker material than the store bought version

it would be wise to have the safety chain extension also

here are their specs for an 18"   http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Hidden-Hitch/he18.html

keep in mind  My truck is setup to haul  with an 8 inch all spring lift ,sway bars and air bags so sag is a non issue

Edited by Zimman

not being a smart ass but put bike in truck bed, hook boat to hitch, load boat with crap that was going in truck bed. 

If you have a SUV you are SOL, unless you can figure out how to put bike in boat. 

My hitch extension holds no bike weight at all just the winch the weight for the bike is on the two outer square tubes into their own receivers with quick release ins

so a double PWC single axle trailer or dual axle boat trailer ( like I have ) should be fine but I will likely only use it with the pwc trailer or a light cargo trailer this is much thicker material than the store bought version

it would be wise to have the safety chain extension also

here are their specs for an 18" http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Hidden-Hitch/he18.html

keep in mind My truck is setup to haul with an 8 inch all spring lift ,sway bars and air bags so sag is a non issue

Is it possible to hook the carrier to the top receiver and a ball on the bottom receiver if I use a dual receiver?

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Curt/D-192.html

I have a 12" hitch extension, cut's the tongue weight rating in 1/2,  hitch carrier would be a lot more than 12".

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378946694.493770.jpg

http://www.versahaul.com/vh55.php

1k tongue on class IV, might be the way to go on my E-350

You do NOT want to pull a trailer on a long extension like that, regardless off what versahaul says, it will be shifty as hell, and can not support any tongue weight, maybe 50 lbs max. Honestly the harbor freight setup would be better than that, since it tucks in and the carrier will ride over the ball.

I saw a camper with that versahaul setup pulling a boat, the carrier had bent the trailer hitch and it was almost dragging on the ground, I pulled in front of them with hazards and forced them to pull over, they were about to lose it.

Idk of I would put my bike on that harbor freight dual hitch extender... What about c-channel across the tongue of the pop up?

Camper weighs about 1300, maybe 100lb tongue. I have pulled it with my focus.

not being a smart ass but put bike in truck bed, hook boat to hitch, load boat with crap that was going in truck bed. 

If you have a SUV you are SOL, unless you can figure out how to put bike in boat. 

my truck has a 4 drawer  pac rat , a weather guard tool chest and a roll n lock cover  it would take 4 hours to make room for a bike  and even then you would need a hitch extender I think cause the tailgate would be down ?  LOL

What kind of truck? Can you get a front hitch and put the bike up front? How about a rack to haul it on top of the truck? 

609-albums385-picture1875.jpg

105928d1164491777-how-transport-bike-pro

Have your trailer modified or get a trailer where you can put the bike on the front of the trailer.

007.jpg

Or get a small bike trailer and  receiver on the back of the boat trailer and triple tow.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/02/state-laws-can-pull-you-in-many-directions-if-you-double-tow.html

Picture468-1.jpg

Edited by EagleFreek
  • Like 1

OP was asking about a boat trailer '

I can see why you wouldn't want the bike on the back of the boat trailer

the design of boat trailers would require a huge add on for a bike  due to the motor of the boat  and the whole carrier would need removed to launch  the boat    plus it would whack your tongue weight

I have contemplated all of that  because I wanted to bring a pwc with my boat