Sign in to follow this  

Want a good laugh? My tire changing experience.

Ordered new tires; Shinko 705.

Since I left my motion pro tire spoons and my mx tools at home when I moved out 5 years ago, I went to Harbor Freight and bought the huge 24" tire irons.

Bad idea.

Pulled the wheels off, super stoked, and began work on the rear tire.

Removed valve stem - check.

Remove old tire - check.

Knowing that these tire irons were designed for vehicular, tubeless tires,

I filled up a bucket of water/soap to double as lube and check for punctures from the tire irons - just...in...case.

And what do you know?

Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, but 5 punctures! 

Now, it's 10PM on Friday, I could either:

A- wait until tomorrow morning to buy another tube/actual tire spoons and complete the job

B- wait until tomorrow morning, take in tires and wheels to get them mounted/balanced at a shop + new tube

C- be over eager and impatient, patch all 5 holes, continue using the HF tire irons to finish the rear/front.

What do you think I did? That's right, option C. I patched them all up. Man, I was so proud of myself. I haven't done this since my high shcool MX days, (in reality only 6 years ago).

So here we go, tubes patched/checked in the bucket of water, baby powdered, and the tire is windexed up, ready to mount.

At this time I'm sweating bullets, I swear if I pull this off I'm gonna finish up the front tire and take her for a spin, it's only 10:30pm!

Set in the first tire iron, ughhhh. WHEW. Good, now for the second. Now for the 2nd tire iron. Ughh, almost there, *PSHHH*. Air comes rushing through one of the patches I did. My tire iron hit it.

At this point, I'm done. I tell my wife, I'm done babe, I'm done. "Realy? You sure this time? Because that's what you told us earlier today! Your son is waiting for you dumbass!" (He's 1.75 years old and loves to kick it with me).

I've skipped dinner, I've lacked the proper hygeine/eating schedule for the past couple days working on the cars/bikes over the holidays like a mad man.

I set the wheels and tires in the car, took a long cold shower, went to sleep and took it to the shop the following morning.

$50 for a new tube, and to mount/balance tires/wheels.

Lessons learned? 

I'm only 22 and I know have so much to learn. Take your time. Use the right tools or know how to use the wrong ones. Take breaks. Eat. Sleep. Shower. Don't let your emotions, (being stoked, excited, eager, zelous), get in the way of the job. Is it really that serious to get it/have it done NOW? (A big one for me). Here's some pics of the Shinko 705 side profile and up close. I know I couldn't find some pics of them on an "S" when I wanted to buy some. Anyways, hope you enjoyed my story gents! Learn from my mistakes!

90/90-21

120/80-18

b.jpg

a.jpg

• Like 5

If you're so inclined to change your own tires, they sell a manual tire change machine pretty reasonably. I applaud your determination though.

i've had situations like you. not as severe but i've had them. i had to get parts on right away no matter what it took, and using the wrong tools will make it difficult and destroy things. i've learned my lesson by now haha. 

glad you were able to get the tires on in the end.

Ordered new tires; Shinko 705.

Since I left my motion pro tire spoons and my mx tools at home when I moved out 5 years ago, I went to Harbor Freight and bought the huge 24" tire irons.

Bad idea.

Pulled the wheels off, super stoked, and began work on the rear tire.

Removed valve stem - check.

Remove old tire - check.

Knowing that these tire irons were designed for vehicular, tubeless tires,

I filled up a bucket of water/soap to double as lube and check for punctures from the tire irons - just...in...case.

And what do you know?

Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, but 5 punctures! 

Now, it's 10PM on Friday, I could either:

A- wait until tomorrow morning to buy another tube/actual tire spoons and complete the job

B- wait until tomorrow morning, take in tires and wheels to get them mounted/balanced at a shop + new tube

C- be over eager and impatient, patch all 5 holes, continue using the HF tire irons to finish the rear/front.

What do you think I did? That's right, option C. I patched them all up. Man, I was so proud of myself. I haven't done this since my high shcool MX days, (in reality only 6 years ago).

So here we go, tubes patched/checked in the bucket of water, baby powdered, and the tire is windexed up, ready to mount.

At this time I'm sweating bullets, I swear if I pull this off I'm gonna finish up the front tire and take her for a spin, it's only 10:30pm!

Set in the first tire iron, ughhhh. WHEW. Good, now for the second. Now for the 2nd tire iron. Ughh, almost there, *PSHHH*. Air comes rushing through one of the patches I did. My tire iron hit it.

At this point, I'm done. I tell my wife, I'm done babe, I'm done. "Realy? You sure this time? Because that's what you told us earlier today! Your son is waiting for you dumbass!" (He's 1.75 years old and loves to kick it with me).

I've skipped dinner, I've lacked the proper hygeine/eating schedule for the past couple days working on the cars/bikes over the holidays like a mad man.

I set the wheels and tires in the car, took a long cold shower, went to sleep and took it to the shop the following morning.

$50 for a new tube, and to mount/balance tires/wheels.

Lessons learned? 

I'm only 22 and I know have so much to learn. Take your time. Use the right tools or know how to use the wrong ones. Take breaks. Eat. Sleep. Shower. Don't let your emotions, (being stoked, excited, eager, zelous), get in the way of the job. Is it really that serious to get it/have it done NOW? (A big one for me). Here's some pics of the Shinko 705 side profile and up close. I know I couldn't find some pics of them on an "S" when I wanted to buy some. Anyways, hope you enjoyed my story gents! Learn from my mistakes!

90/90-21

120/80-18

MXLR8,

Great story and some valuable tips on how not to change a tire.

However, I rank pretty high on the list for - King of all Idiots.

I once pinched two brand new Dunlop MX51 tubes (back to back) using brand new tire spoons and a new bead buddy. Pinched the first brand new tube out of the box with the tire spoons. I decided to use my new spare Dunlop tube still in the box, pinched it again using the new tire spoons and bead buddy.. Needless to say, I was completely devastated. Just ruined not one, but two brand new Dunlop tubes which are not cheap.

The next day, I went to the nearest Honda shop and bought two more tubes. Went back home and got it on without pinching anything. I've always heard that the 3rd time is always the charm. To this day, I still can't believe that I ruined two brand new Dunlop tubes back to back in the same day. To add insult to injury, I was using the right tools and a bead buddy. To this day, I still don't really know what I was doing wrong, as I've changed lot's of mx tires over the years. Perhaps shoving the new tire spoons too far in the tire, then pinching the tube when I pried the tire over the edge of the rim.. not sure. 

Although your story and experience was priceless.. I on the other hand managed to pinch two new tubes in the same day using the correct tools. So please.. a bit of respect. For I am still the King of all idiots.!

Next time I'll just use two big flat tip screwdrivers. Maybe I'll have better luck.

JL

Hey man, you haven't had a hard time changing a tire until you've had a spoon go AWOL and give you a black eye. 

Dirt Rider,

That's totally awesome.! 

JL

MXLR8,

Great story and some valuable tips on how not to change a tire.

However, I rank pretty high on the list for - King of all Idiots.

I once pinched two brand new Dunlop MX51 tubes (back to back) using brand new tire spoons and a new bead buddy. Pinched the first brand new tube out of the box with the tire spoons. I decided to use my new spare Dunlop tube still in the box, pinched it again using the new tire spoons and bead buddy.. Needless to say, I was completely devastated. Just ruined not one, but two brand new Dunlop tubes which are not cheap.

The next day, I went to the nearest Honda shop and bought two more tubes. Went back home and got it on without pinching anything. I've always heard that the 3rd time is always the charm. To this day, I still can't believe that I ruined two brand new Dunlop tubes back to back in the same day. To add insult to injury, I was using the right tools and a bead buddy. To this day, I still don't really know what I was doing wrong, as I've changed lot's of mx tires over the years. Perhaps shoving the new tire spoons too far in the tire, then pinching the tube when I pried the tire over the edge of the rim.. not sure. 

Although your story and experience was priceless.. I on the other hand managed to pinch two new tubes in the same day using the correct tools. So please.. a bit of respect. For I am still the King of all idiots.!

Next time I'll just use two big flat tip screwdrivers. Maybe I'll have better luck.

JL

Hey brother throw me up there too on that list! LOL, it's funny how we go through these instances where murphy's law is unrelenting. 

If you're so inclined to change your own tires, they sell a manual tire change machine pretty reasonably. I applaud your determination though.

Thanks for the tip Brandon! 

makes Me glad I didn't try mine last Friday when I bought tires /tubes/rimlocks

LOL it's definitely piece of spending $ instead of effort/time to get some piece of mind. Don't get me wrong though, you can still change tubes/tires on your own with the right tools/experience/people around! Especially when you're on the trail!

Hey man, you haven't had a hard time changing a tire until you've had a spoon go AWOL and give you a black eye. 

DAM. I was super sketched out when I was using those 24" irons. I'd bend one down and hold it, squinting my eyes as I began to turn the other iron. Good times brother!

Come on, who else has a funny tire changing story! We've got 3 down in this post already; any takers!?

I ripped a brand new 190 sportbike tire at work once, does that count?

Good one.. was your boss pissed.?

Nah, he laughed at me. A little bead sealant and it was fine, he threw it on one of his own bikes. It's surprising the amount of damage a tire can have and still hold air...

I swear by baby powder on the tubes. I've done quite a few sets with the small 8" spoons. Never had a puncture and always swear up and down ill never change another tire myself.... then i just put trailwings back on a buddy's bike.

I swear by baby powder on the tubes. I've done quite a few sets with the small 8" spoons. Never had a puncture and always swear up and down ill never change another tire myself.... then i just put trailwings back on a buddy's bike.

+1 for baby powder

Been there thats my problem I think it has to be done now. Gets old paying almost 20 bucks for a tube and having to drive 30 min one way to Honda shop then get home to pinch a hole in the brand new tube not once but twice. It's annoying but nothing like the satisfaction of doing something yourself