Tire tube pressure when putting the bead in place

Pressure?

I had to use 90 psi, soap, and a rubber mallet to seat trials tires on my KDX. Most go on much more easily, 15-20 psi

I usually go up to 50-60 Psi.

between 10 and 15 for me

I went 60 and my heavy duty tube exploded and it was brand new

I don't usually go above 50-60

If it takes more than that, more soap, or bead lube.

I had to use 90 psi, soap, and a rubber mallet to seat trials tires on my KDX. Most go on much more easily, 15-20 psi

Guessing a Dunlop?  some of the TT are molded for a tubeless rim, hard to seat on a standard rim.

If it don't seat at 50 max I'm breaking the bead re lubing ans trying again.   Sometimes the tube filling pushes the rimlock and hold the bead too soon,  try pushing the rimlock in as much as you can hold while airing up.

I've had some that wouldn't bead at 60psi, so I let it down to 15 and go ride, and eventually it pops in place.

^^^^ I have done that too.  I usually just keep putting air in it until the bead sets.  One time the bead wouldn't set so I inflated it until the I was scared it would blow up in my face.  Went riding the next day and forgot there was about 90psi, put the tire gauge on it to check the pressure and instantly broke a $50 gauge.  Whoops

MAX!!!

Lately I've been lightly spraying the inside lip of the tire with spray silicon. Just a light coat all the way around, on both sides. The tire seats with hardly any pressure at all. I get the silicon at walmart, in the automotive chemicals section.

Lube it! I have had a tube pop from too much pressure trying to set it. Doing it dry isn't good. ;)

Lube it! I have had a tube pop from too much pressure trying to set it. Doing it dry isn't good. ;)

yup.  You shouldnt need over 15 psi to pop the bead on a tire.  Use water its good for you and soap it helps.  If you mount it dry you will crap yourself at how much easier and less prone to pinching the tube than if you mount it dry.  Much faster too.

yup.  You shouldnt need over 15 psi to pop the bead on a tire.  Use water its good for you and soap it helps.  If you mount it dry you will crap yourself at how much easier and less prone to pinching the tube than if you mount it dry.  Much faster too.

Have you mounted a trials tire before? 15 with soap isn't going to get it done.

I used to mount my own tires, but the local shop charges $15 to mount with new rimstrip and $10 extra if you want/need a new tube, so I don't bother anymore, pinched too many tubes in the past no matter how careful I am.

Have you mounted a trials tire before? 15 with soap isn't going to get it done.

I used to mount my own tires, but the local shop charges $15 to mount with new rimstrip and $10 extra if you want/need a new tube, so I don't bother anymore, pinched too many tubes in the past no matter how careful I am.

Why would you ask a moto guy if he mounted a trials tire lol.  Also most people do not run one and I dont recall the op asking about a trials tire.

Why would you ask a moto guy if he mounted a trials tire lol.  Also most people do not run one and I dont recall the op asking about a trials tire.

Thumpertalk isn't a moto specific form and the topic is in "general discussion"

And quite a few people are running trials tires off road, so yeah...

Maxxis Desert TI is probably the hardest tire I have changed by hand. Just a hard compound and stiff side walls, then add a thick off road tube.

I spray a little WD40 on a rag and lightly apply to the tire and rim, helps a lot and usuall sets the bead at 45-50 psi.