Sign in to follow this  

Found something to take stuck paper gaskets off.

I had a bunch of right side cover gasket stuck to the engine side and some stuck to the cover side.  I soaked them in CRC brake cleaner, re-applying it several times over an hour or so.  It then came off very easy using a razor blade to lift it as needed as I slowly peeled it and anything left then came off using my fingernail.  Much easier than it started out with it stuck so hard the razor bade was having to cut it instead of just lift it.  Cant say how it would work had there been glue but it worked great on the stuck paper.  What I figured was going to be hours ended up being about 10 minutes.  Does not harm aluminum or rubber according to the can, makes sense as its for brakes with aluminum and rubber parts.

Edited by ramjetV8

Cool appreciate. I'm going through the same thing replacing all the wp stuff so yeah that's wassup

It was the red can CRC brake cleaner, not the green 50 state can.  Green may work but I never tried it.

do yourself a big favor when putting covers back on, OIL one side of the gasket (don't oil both sides, you want it to stick in place but not tear when coming off). This way the cover comes off without tearing up the gasket.. problem solved for a few removals till time to do a full tear down.

will do next time, the book said make sure there is no oil on the contact surface or the gasket will leak?  so no only did I not oil it I made sure there was no oil at all, oh well live and learn. LOL...  I guess at least I found a way to get it unstuck.

Honda OEM gaskets have a bonding agent on the gaskets. In different spots on both sides, just to make sure you destroy the gaskets each time you remove the covers.

Honda OEM gaskets have a bonding agent on the gaskets. In different spots on both sides, just to make sure you destroy the gaskets each time you remove the covers.

not if you oil one side.. had my covers over multiple times on 2 bikes. Have bought very few cover gaskets. This is not a theory, this is real world "this sh-it works" kinda stuff.

good to know, next time I will oil the engine side.  and it was Honda OEM gasket and the sealer was only in places which I thought was odd.

Holley carb gaskets can be the same  a racers trick was to coat them with chapstick  so they could be reused

in the past I have used a very light coat of marine anti-sieze, like on the boat water pump gasket that I open every year but have only replaced twice since 92.  I have used it in other places with same results but probably would not use it on a carb gasket.