Sign in to follow this  

PLEASE HELP! Strange engine noise URGENT!

Hi

Ok so the last 2 days i have some strange noises coming out of the engine...

it sounds like it comes from the top end.

here is some audio i recorded from  my bike (ignore the idle XD was cold and my idle sucks atm)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_UdFet2VkI&

and this is a similar sound ive found on youtube thats sounds similar to mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rROJgfIh_sg

it happened after this incident

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1044088-engine-shut-off-while-flat-out-155kmh/ 

do you think its related to it in any way?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Im using the Z every day to do 15 kilometers to work and this is my only transport for the time being so i dont have many options other than keep it going...

so if you think this sound is something serious please tell me, so i know wether or not its bad to keep it running...

Edited by N8NT45

Doesn't sound good I'd take the gas tank off and then the valve cover take a look around. Valve cover gasket is reusable. Sounds to me like it may need a lot of work :/

Doesn't sound good I'd take the gas tank off and then the valve cover take a look around. Valve cover gasket is reusable. Sounds to me like it may need a lot of work :/

hope its not that bad... ill go to the mechanic tomorrow to have a look... 

Anyone else have an idea whats going on? please reply...

Sounds like you need to stop riding it and start inspecting things.  I'd start by removing the valve cover and left side cover...

Edited by bmwpowere36m3

Sounds like you need to stop riding it and start inspecting things.  I'd start by removing the valve cover and left side cover...

well im at work now so ill have to ride it back home...

so far what ive found on other forums and related videos is that:

1 it might be the valves (will do tomorrow to see if thats where the sound comes from...)

2 oil startvation (which seems bizzare since i replaced the oil 800km ago...) worth a check though

3 one guy also mentioned maybe the crank is worn out causing it to jitter a bit....  hope its not that...

any thoughts guys?

yep that was my post  well i wasnt trully correct though it wasnt five minutes...... i went wide open for not more than 2 kilometers (thats how long that straight is...maybe even less) the rest of the five minutes i was going at around 120-130.... forgot to mention that.....

i have a 39T rear sprocket so 120 is rather low on the rpms....

Edited by N8NT45

well if its the crank.... i suppose the cylinder and piston gets damaged too right? (engine newb)

well i see...

so do i have to replace the whole crank or just the rod?

if the cylinder and piston are history ill do a big bore kit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221269423893?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

you think the price is good?

and this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231043726853?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

is this the so called ebay kit?

whats your thoughs?

My thoughts are you should stop riding it before you do more damage.  Get it to a qualified mechanic (or do it yourself if you are able and knowledgable) and see what exactly it is that you need and then go from there.

My thoughts are you should stop riding it before you do more damage.  Get it to a qualified mechanic (or do it yourself if you are able and knowledgable) and see what exactly it is that you need and then go from there.

its obvious ill ride it straight το the mechanic after work (i work night shift) see what he says and act acordingly.... (i would go yesterday but it was sunday)

but since im short on time and need to get it up and running as soon as possible i wana do my research and have a solution as soon as my mechanic finds the problem...

thats why i was asking which bore kit to go with...

i know its hurting the engine to go back home from work right now but i dont have another option....

Edited by N8NT45

A $100 tow or cab is much cheaper than the damage you might do or have already done.  Just something to think about.  The Cylinder Works BB kit is used by many on here including myself. No reason to pay the extra for the Athena.  I wouldn't really consider any other kit besides those 2.

A $100 tow or cab is much cheaper than the damage you might do or have already done.  Just something to think about.  The Cylinder Works BB kit is used by many on here including myself. No reason to pay the extra for the Athena.  I wouldn't really consider any other kit besides those 2.

thanks for the info...

ill go to the mechanic in 10 minutes... will post news as soon as i get them

You can buy a HotRods crank for about $240 , just not go for the stroker one(+4mm) because you will need more stuff than a crank and a bb kit to build a proper bb stroker bike .

If you you end up to buy a rod only many friends where used the ProX rod when they rebuild their drz400 with 0 issues .

As for the bb kit the Cylinder Works kit is the way to go .

Edited by Smias

You can buy a HotRods crank for about $240 , just not go for the stroker one(+4mm) because you will need more stuff than a crank and a bb kit to build a proper bb stroker bike .

If you you end up to buy a rod only many friends where used the ProX rod when they rebuild their drz400 with 0 issues .

As for the bb kit the Cylinder Works kit is the way to go .

smias you are from greece right?...so am i.... can we exchange phones and have a chat? λες να μπορεις??? χρειαζομαι λιγη βοηθεια....

IT MAY also be the counterbalancer.

Also a reason to stop riding immediately.

If it's not too late: easy fix: fasten the nut, loctite, see the FAQ's

If it is too late: BOINK. lots of damage.