Lowering drz400 tall seat

How can this be done? Is it as simple as a klr650?

Yes, its just a matter removing the cover, cutting the foam and re stapling the cover back on. Careful though I just had to replace my seat as I cut too much out and made it uncomfortable. (The second cutting was the problem)

see the yoga mat fix

If you have $370 lying around get a Corbin seat.  I lucked into one and it is nice.  Shorter and more comfy.

jim

Are all the drz400 seats from the S,SM and E models interchangeable?

Are all the drz400 seats from the S,SM and E models interchangeable?

Yes.

Regarding the Seta Concepts seat......has anyone done that mod to the seat with the foam and cover kit?  If so, how did that go?

The first time I bought a complete seat from them, just in case I didn't like it (Carbon Sides, Carbon Top):

drz40056.jpg

I modified the standard one twice, the second time I cut too much out and it wasn't comfortable. So I order a low one, this time with the carbon sides, and gripper top, just the kit this time though.

drzlowseat1.jpg

Used just a standard staple gun from the hardware store to do.

Edited by OhioYJ

Seat Concepts sends instructions with the foam and cover. Easy to change, just take your time. I love the seat for long rides compared to the gel seat I took off.

I've had the Seat Concepts low seat on 2 different bikes and will buy it again for any future bike.  I tried to staple the cover on myself but my stapler wasn't powerful enough so I took it to an upholstrey and boat canvas shop and they did it with stainless steel staples.  They said the stainless staples were important.  It cost $20 to have it done professionally and it looks great.

I did staple one myself a few years ago and it worked fine but the Suzuki seat base is harder plastic I guess.

Seat Concepts sends instructions with the foam and cover. Easy to change, just take your time. I love the seat for long rides compared to the gel seat I took off.

I agree, I started with the gel seat and the seat concepts is definitely more comfortable for longer distances.

I will say the standard one was more comfortable than the low version. However I feel more comfortable on the low seat at the track, even though I'm 6'3". I'm even running the high pegs.

The gripper seat top really locks you in place, which is good and bad in my opinion. With the carbon top I could easily slide back to tuck in a bit, and slide forward for the corners. The gripper top there is no sliding around that's go sure, you have to actually lift up and move.

I've had the Seat Concepts low height for a year now and I would give it a "B" grade compared to the "C-"  for the Gel seat and "D" for the OEM cushion seat.

Regarding installation, I tried stapling myself with various manual staplers and various staples.  I was unable to bury the staples into the curves of the thick seat plastic, no problem on the straights.  For $20-30, I was able to get a local upholster who does the custom jobs at Tesla Motors.  Well worth it if you don't have a staple gun.

Cons:  the Seat Concepts is a little wide up front and digs into your leg at stops.  I hear the new one is more narrow.  I actually like the shape of the gel.  My ideal seat would be a narrow seat concept with a pommel shape and thin gel insert, added to reduce vibration.

Edited by ScurveyJoe