from quad to bike

ok so i traded my yfz for a crf 450r.  took it out today to ride and i have definitly got in over my head.  1.  i have a hard time kicking it when it stalls unless i lean against a tree and stand on both pegs.  I do not like that.  i can only have on foot on graund and thats on toes.  bike feels huge to me.  i am 5'8 and weigh 200.  it dont squat mych when i sit down on it.  2.  omg is this thing a torque monster.  made me feel like a beeaattcch.  so my question is this.  is there a way to get the seat height a little lower and is the 250s any smaller.  I honestly think i may have to much bike.  but if i can get a foot on the ground i will feel i little more confident.

ok so i traded my yfz for a crf 450r.  took it out today to ride and i have definitly got in over my head.  1.  i have a hard time kicking it when it stalls unless i lean against a tree and stand on both pegs.  I do not like that.  i can only have on foot on graund and thats on toes.  bike feels huge to me.  i am 5'8 and weigh 200.  it dont squat mych when i sit down on it.  2.  omg is this thing a torque monster.  made me feel like a beeaattcch.  so my question is this.  is there a way to get the seat height a little lower and is the 250s any smaller.  I honestly think i may have to much bike.  but if i can get a foot on the ground i will feel i little more confident.

Chuleta,

You certainly got a lot of bike with a CRF450R.. there is not a lot you can do to lower the bike that much without impacting overall handling characteristics. You can change the shock link, but cost versus results will not be worth the trade off. You can also push the forks up into the bridge to drop the front end, but again you risk problems with handling in turns.. so you're better off leaving the bike as designed. At 5'8" in height, it will be difficult for you to reach the ground with your left leg, and kick start the bike when you stall it on the trails or on the track. 

The 450R is notorious for it's raw torque, sharp throttle response, speed, and power. In general, the 450R does not like the trails as it was built for mx racing. If you like slow rolling on trails, and poking around in general, the 450R is probably not the right bike. The 250's are not as big as the 450's.

Your situation may improve with a lot of practice as you build time on the bike. The trick to kick starting the 450R involves some degree of technique, so the more you practice, the better you will get. Once you get the hang of it, they usually start with one or two kicks hot or cold. You should make sure the valves are adjusted properly, good plug, clean air filter, engine oil/filter, and good gas. Any of these issues can cause hard starting, especially while hot.

You have a great bike, if you can just get used to it. Practice is key in your situation. I have seen many short riders ripping the tracks on 450R's, so you are not alone. 

What year CRF450R do you have.? 

JL

its an 06 in mint condition...i like the bike it just feels huge to me.  i can see where people like quads cause a bike is not the lazy mans toy.  gotta get my balance back hahah..

its an 06 in mint condition...i like the bike it just feels huge to me.  i can see where people like quads cause a bike is not the lazy mans toy.  gotta get my balance back hahah..

You have a nice bike.. it's a monster and a blast to ride. Just practice your kick starting technique, balance, and the rest will come. 

Practice and patience is key.

JL

Yeah man I transferred from a trx450r to a 06 crf450r about five months ago. The crf will def whip you into shape the more you ride and yeah being lazy with it will get ya hurt. As far as starting like the man said there in a technique to it for sure but don't forget about your hot start. When you push the "hot start" it actually is opening your carb and dumping the fuel that was mixed about to enter your motor. So if your stuck somewhere trying to crank it. Hold the hot start open, twist your throttle all the way down to allow the air to flow through the carb for about 3-5 secs, release the throttle back first then release your hot start, or if its like

Mine and a lot of others it dosnt spring back so push it back.. That should help

If I were you I would shave the seat, invest in an aftermarket shock linkage (not required but it would help), and set your sag to your weight. As for starting the bike it just takes practice, I was in your same situation when I first got a bike. The best advise I ever got about riding is "dont let the bike control you, you control the bike". Keep practicing and youll have it in no time!

I was in your position beginning of last year with my 450r

Make sure valves are set to speck and de comp lever is also set properly

Have a friend or 2 help you set the rear sag for your weight

And finally after some getting to know your bike you will realize its a pansy to get started and does not need to be kicked hard, gentle & steady even when hot as long as the valves are correct

Practise up beside your house leaning the bike over a few degrees to the left while just putting steady pressure on the kick starter stay close enough to the house so if it starts to tip you end up with your upper body stoping you from going over

I always restart in neutral as I find it a bit easier too

There a fun bike I trail ride mostly and once I got used to it it's a breeze even in the tight stuff!

Also if you Havnt got used to boots yet you WILL DEF need those. Hardest part is the first few rides breaking them in. After that you'll love them! Plus if you go ahead and get some nice ones it'll seem like your landing on pillows when you get some air time and they will def save your ass!

Did the same thing a few years back. Switched from a quad to an 06 crf450r. I was falling over all the time. Couldn't start it and always stalling it. I hurt myself numerous times. Got fed up with it and went to one of Shane Watts Dirtwise schools. Game changer. Bought some gear and practice the techniques he taught me and I haven't been hurt again. Slow technical stuff is a breeze. I strongly recommend you attend one of his schools. $350 is nothing compared to the medical bills I had. That school paid for itself and the gear by now. Riding a bike is soooo much fun now.

Had bikes, cr500 mostly, then got kids, then quads, kids pushed me back to bikes and glad they did.  So nice not to get the crap beat out of me every ride.  Like all my bike buddies say quads are for when you care more about the beer than the ride LOL...  And we usually start the first time with the tie down hooked to the trailer and the bar so we can stand on the pegs, in neutral, clutch in.  Choke on, three twists of the throttle 0 to full then don't give it any gas, get it at the top of the stroke and give it a good full stroke.  It almost always fires first and never takes more than twice.  Once its warm it starts easier, no choke and no throttle priming but still in neutral ans clutch in.  As for the height, well lower it or get something shorter.  When I was 12 my 125 was way too tall, I just learned to lean it over enough if I could and if there was not room like on narrow trails then you lean the balanced hop kick...  Or trade it for a CRF450x so you have electric start, sure makes the starting issue go away and a lot better on the trails.

Edited by ramjetV8

trimmened down the seat today,  will be getting it put back together tomorrow.  also i checked sag and that was spot on.  so i will see how it feels with the new seat layout and if its still uncomfortable i will drop it with a lowering link.

Chuleta,

PRACTICE... PRACTICE!!! It'll be well worth getting away from the quads! Just watch a local race, whenever the quads crash it always seems that the quad will "hunt down" the rider and land on them. Almost every time!!! Not to pick on quad riders (except the ones where I live, that like to get drunk and simply have drag races through the camping areas or do doughnuts in the middle of the pits at the races; cause doughnuts are ohhh so hard on a quad....) but I have a picture of a T-shirt that I am trying to find where to buy that says: " THE HARDEST THING ABOUT RIDING A QUAD.....IS TELLING YOUR PARENTS YOUR GAY ".... Not hating on ALL quad riders, just the ones where I live!!! LOL  Once you figure out to "kicking motion" of YOUR bike to get it started....your golden!

Have fun!

Chuleta,

PRACTICE... PRACTICE!!! It'll be well worth getting away from the quads! Just watch a local race, whenever the quads crash it always seems that the quad will "hunt down" the rider and land on them. Almost every time!!! Not to pick on quad riders (except the ones where I live, that like to get drunk and simply have drag races through the camping areas or do doughnuts in the middle of the pits at the races; cause doughnuts are ohhh so hard on a quad....) but I have a picture of a T-shirt that I am trying to find where to buy that says: " THE HARDEST THING ABOUT RIDING A QUAD.....IS TELLING YOUR PARENTS YOUR GAY ".... Not hating on ALL quad riders, just the ones where I live!!! LOL  Once you figure out to "kicking motion" of YOUR bike to get it started....your golden!

Have fun!

i have asked that question a million times.  why is it everytime i wreck my dam quad it hunts me down and runs me over again.  Actually just deceided to get a bike cause i was getting a little nervous on the off camber hill climbs where your leaning in this crazy way just to keep from rolling.  I hated being at the mercy of four wheels.  Then see a dirtbiker going flying by me standing straight up.  haha.  also when climbing hills i see quads roll to the bottom and be destroyed,  and bikes guys just lay it down and pick it back up and shoot back down to try again.  i am not giving up just was a little off by my feet not touching ground.  i think ill be good with my new seat configuration.  i chewed to much out and actually gotta get a 1 inch peice of memory foam to put back before i cover it.  i am not sold on the lowering link.  would rather spend that money on a heavy flywheel....

Best thing for me on the trails was a 51 tooth rear sprocket....$20.  Made a big difference. The hotstart just opens the carb up so your not adding any more gas as you kick it, cause mostly when you stall it, it floods and you need to hold the hotstart in for a few kicks and then it will fire right up.  The other key difference to making it start easier is to set the air fuel needle just right.  get it idling and move the screw until it idles the fastest, even if you have to lower the idle speed screw.  After that if u still have trouble check your valves and such.  Have fun.

P.S. Buy the FACTORY HONDA service manual...not the rip offs...Honda puts out a darn good manual.  Will pay for itself very quickly.

Edited by shanecarr

I found the whole factory manual on line and downloaded for free, I mean the one that came with the bike.  Which is still pretty good as it covers maintenenace including valve adj etc.

just saying

fastest quickest most expensive quad < xr100 lol!

so a 450 over a quad riders head go figure!

Shaving the seat will make it shorter without messing with suspension!

Yeah man I transferred from a trx450r to a 06 crf450r about five months ago. The crf will def whip you into shape the more you ride and yeah being lazy with it will get ya hurt. As far as starting like the man said there in a technique to it for sure but don't forget about your hot start. When you push the "hot start" it actually is opening your carb and dumping the fuel that was mixed about to enter your motor. So if your stuck somewhere trying to crank it. Hold the hot start open, twist your throttle all the way down to allow the air to flow through the carb for about 3-5 secs, release the throttle back first then release your hot start, or if its like

Mine and a lot of others it dosnt spring back so push it back.. That should help

Wut? I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about. The hotstart just lets more air in the carb while you are kicking to help with hotstarting. When you do that jacked up starting procedure of yours you make the AC pump squirt raw fuel into your engine. Making it hard as hell to start. Just open the hotstart and kick it, thats sll

Wut? I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about. The hotstart just lets more air in the carb while you are kicking to help with hotstarting. When you do that jacked up starting procedure of yours you make the AC pump squirt raw fuel into your engine. Making it hard as hell to start. Just open the hotstart and kick it, thats sll

Actually it lifts the slide to clear the carb out from being flooded. But you can wear yourself out kickin all you want.

Lolololloollol. Stupid person is stupid. Does it hurt? Being so dumb?