Air box smells likes gas on a 2013?

So i just got a 2013 drz and took the side panel off that covers the air filter. Noticed a strong smell of gas when i lean my head in. Did some research and aparently this is common with the petcock.. Opened up the oil cap were the dip stick is and stuck my nose in there.. Also has a faint smell of gas.

So fairly certain this is the common petcock issue however is it normal to appear so early? The bike has less than 500 miles on it. Should i take it back to the dealer?

Pull the fuel line off and see if fuel just runs out. If the pet cock is good just whatever is in the rubber line will run out (which isnt much) and it will stop. 

Pull the fuel line off and see if fuel just runs out. If the pet cock is good just whatever is in the rubber line will run out (which isnt much) and it will stop.

Did that. Very little came out of hose but the metal part i took it off from kept dripping. Is that normal?

http://i.imgur.com/AVFVmaf.jpg

Take it back

+1 With only 500 miles and still under warranty, I'd just take it back.

Take it back

BTW, your profile pic looks very familiar to me :thumbsup:

The nipple on the carb will only drip residual fuel.  So yes normal when the fuel line is disconnected.  My recommendation is to run the rubber hose into a container and let it sit overnight and see if any fuel accumulates.

The nipple on the carb will only drip residual fuel. So yes normal when the fuel line is disconnected. My recommendation is to run the rubber hose into a container and let it sit overnight and see if any fuel accumulates.

So the nipple should stop leaking after a little bit?

Well yes.  There is gasoline in the carb but only what the float bowl will hold.  Most of the gas is below the nipple.  I would say you might get 1/4 oz and stop dripping 30 sec or less.

Well yes. There is gasoline in the carb but only what the float bowl will hold. Most of the gas is below the nipple. I would say you might get 1/4 oz and stop dripping 30 sec or less.

Thanks. Ill give the dealer a call on tuesday to see what they say. Then ill try that.

BTW, your profile pic looks very familiar to me :thumbsup:

Funny you should say that, I was just thinking there is a striking resemblance between Arthur1265 and Noble !! They must be related, I'm thinking they might even be identical twins !?  ;)

You really think so?  Since I'm 46 years older than Arthur, that is a real complement to me.

Funny you should say that, I was just thinking there is a striking resemblance between Arthur1265 and Noble !! They must be related, I'm thinking they might even be identical twins !?  ;)

Too funny, Jawknee would have asked where in Calif. are you from, as well..... :lol:

BTW......couldn't agree more about that "education" slogan you have......hahahaha

Edited by Signman606

I was referring to backyard hacks avatar, that is a pic of how my 45 used to look before I refinished it.

I was referring to backyard hacks avatar, that is a pic of how my 45 used to look before I refinished it.

Yeh, I realized that after re-reading my post, but Mad Dogg's reply still works, and his sense of humor is very witty, just like Jawknee.  ;)

Edited by Signman606

Yeah , I have the pics of before and after , nice shooter

So i just got a 2013 drz and took the side panel off that covers the air filter. Noticed a strong smell of gas when i lean my head in. Did some research and aparently this is common with the petcock.. Opened up the oil cap were the dip stick is and stuck my nose in there.. Also has a faint smell of gas.

So fairly certain this is the common petcock issue however is it normal to appear so early? The bike has less than 500 miles on it. Should i take it back to the dealer?

if you trace the path of air flow from the seat, to the airbox, to the carb, you'll notice

there's a bunch of gas in the carb, and nothing to prevent backflow into the airbox of fumes. 

it will -always- smell like gas in there, it's a motorcycle.