2008 TTR230 adjustments, smoke problem

Hey everyone,

So I just bought a 2008 TTR230 today and I wanted to make sure everything is well adjusted and maintained before riding it. I got the bike for a bargain because the bike smokes white smoke when starting up, and after a minute or two it will die down, and then it smokes a lot when you throttle it in neutral.

I was wondering what could be the issue there and what I could do to fix the problem. Also, when I took the spark arrestor / baffle out to check the exhaust pipe, I realized why it didn't feel powerful enough when I was riding it. It looks like someone painted carbon / oil on the spark arrestor because it's completely closed off and black (referring to the screen on the spark arrestor, I attached a picture of it). Inside the pipe is also caked in carbon / oil (I'm not sure which).

On another point, what things on the dirt bike should be checked and adjusted for the best performance? (e.g., chain, throttle play, spark plug, air filter, etc.)

Thanks for any help!

photo.JPG

photo (1).JPG

I once owned a 2008 TTR230 also when I was 14. White smoke is sometimes common when first starting up but I go to a mechanic class at my school and white smoke (even after warming up) is a valve problem, take your bike in to get the valves adjusted and get your bike services, it will run like brand new after that. And keep the spark arrestor out of the bike, you don't need it and all it does it restricts your power. Take it out and leave it out.

Hey thanks for the advice. Also, I've been riding all day today and noticed that my engine oil is basically gone, from being a full tank the day before. Could that be a problem with the piston?

Hey thanks for the advice. Also, I've been riding all day today and noticed that my engine oil is basically gone, from being a full tank the day before. Could that be a problem with the piston?

and also, when riding and throttling wide open, it sounds almost metallicy. Sort of like the sound my CRF150F makes after you kickstart it and keep holding the kickstart down for a few seconds after the engine starts.

Okay now with this added information you provided it is no doubt in my head the piston, the white smoke is oil burning because the piston rings are worn out. Take it to the shop and get a new piston put it, it will cost about $150 less or more (depending on brand of piston, Weisco is best) plus whatever the shop charges for labor. So it's not too expensive but then it's not to cheap eather. Sorry for this bad news but yeah. It is deff your top end get it fixed NOW because keep running it like this and more damage will occur such as cylinder damage or crankcase damage which will lead to $1,200 complete rebuild.

So I'll need a new piston? And I take it I'll also need new rings? Anything else? And also, what about the metallic sound, does that mean the valves need to be adjusted?

Yes new piston and rings and get valves adjusted

Take it to a shop with experienced tech's and let them check it out. Your spark screen tells oil is getting into the combustion chamber. This can only happen if your rings are worn, valve seals(not adjustment), cracked head or blown head gasket.

As for the metal sound, these engines are known for oil starvation in the cam area from a bad oil filter design(have it checked by an experienced pro). could also be a worn piston skirt.

You could potentially get away with only needing rings. If you keep guessing you're going waste a lot of time and money.