Sign in to follow this  

Kx450f or CRF450?

I am a Vet B rider and am currently on a 2003 Cr250 two stroke.  I am looking at getting a new in the spring.  I have narrowed it down to the Kawasaki or Honda.  I have always been a Honda guy.  I have read/heard that the Honda corners better but the Kawi is more stable, which appeals to me.

2 different friends of mine that have had Kawasaki 4 strokes say they were good bikes but that the green bikes felt worn out rather quickly and durability was questionable.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, right now I can get a 2012 KX450f brand new for $6700 OTD plus get a free pro circuit ti-5 exhaust.

Any suggestions?  Please exclude blind brand loyalties.

Thanks!

I haven't had a crf450r,  but had a crf250r. now I have a 13 kx450f have 4 hours on it and love it. from my research the kx`s air froks were better it also has the launch control and 3 different fi couplers. Honda doesn't have the fi couplers or launch control. my 450 feels as if it handles just as good if not better then my 250 did. just my opinion, but I say go kx!

I just got the 13 kx 450 with the same deal I love the air forks so far my last Honda was a 09 from my experience the kawis are just as good quality as Honda if not better there's a reason there the lightest bike in the class back in the day the Hondas were the best money could buy I don't think that's the case anymore

Yup durability on kawis are a crap shot.  If baby the bike ie trail ride it or dont ride over 20 hours a year it would work fine.  I have blown up every single kawasaki i have ever owned and i usually am anal about maintenance ie changing oil frequently, air filter, grease linkage, steering stem, wheels; not too mention the motor.  I found kawasakis not to be as strict about tolerances as say honda or suzuki.  If you put any stress on the motor I would keep top-ends on your shelf and put them in it all the time.  

In my opinion, the Honda is a great bike that most people cant setup correctly.  I have loved every honda I have ridden and felt comfortable on it.  The reliability is solid and very well made.  I would get a honda over any other bike if it wasn't for the fact that the 450 went to kayaba.  That bugs the crap out of me because I am not a fan of kayaba.  Every honda I loved was on  Showa suspension.  

I haven't had a crf450r,  but had a crf250r. now I have a 13 kx450f have 4 hours on it and love it. from my research the kx`s air froks were better it also has the launch control and 3 different fi couplers. Honda doesn't have the fi couplers or launch control. my 450 feels as if it handles just as good if not better then my 250 did. just my opinion, but I say go kx!

FI coupler I found to be crap and never really use.  One made the bike so underpowered it sucked to ride and the other was ok on sand tracks but unpractical every where else.   If your good enough doing starts all the launch control does is hinder your over rev and retards the ignition which makes the bike easier for beginner novice riders but puts the pros at a disadvantage against one another and I know I didnt fancy it.  Plus I doubt the op is looking to race much.  So it is a unneeded feature really.

FI coupler I found to be crap and never really use.  One made the bike so underpowered it sucked to ride and the other was ok on sand tracks but unpractical every where else.   If your good enough doing starts all the launch control does is hinder your over rev and retards the ignition which makes the bike easier for beginner novice riders but puts the pros at a disadvantage against one another and I know I didnt fancy it.  Plus I doubt the op is looking to race much.  So it is a unneeded feature really.

I do a little bit of racing, maybe 4-5 weekends a year.  Otherwise I do a lot of open practice on prepped tracks.  I would probably use the bike for minimal trail riding other than a once a year colorado trip to ride.

I am a Vet B rider and am currently on a 2003 Cr250 two stroke. I am looking at getting a new in the spring. I have narrowed it down to the Kawasaki or Honda. I have always been a Honda guy. I have read/heard that the Honda corners better but the Kawi is more stable, which appeals to me.

2 different friends of mine that have had Kawasaki 4 strokes say they were good bikes but that the green bikes felt worn out rather quickly and durability was questionable. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, right now I can get a 2012 KX450f brand new for $6700 OTD plus get a free pro circuit ti-5 exhaust.

Any suggestions? Please exclude blind brand loyalties.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat except much older than you. I'm thinking one more new motocross bike before i get too old. Always had great luck with honda reliability. Have 06 450 now that is still in great shape. By the way my previous bike was 03 yz 250 and i do love the switch to 450 4 stroke.

Anyway, rode a 2012 ktm 450sx a few laps last week and my initial impression was very good. I thought the frt.suspension felt amazing. Then searched here and everybody said their suspension sucks. Go figure. Then i thought maybe it would be worth getting a new bike. Honda or kawi are my two first choices like you. I havent ridden either. My last new bike was 92 cr 250. Id love to hear everyones opinions too.