End of a career and factory?

So when rumors swirled about Reed possibly going to Suzuki I got to thinking. When James Stewart career/ contract is up will that also be the end for Suzuki? It would be strange but I wonder how likely that is. And if Reed went to riding Suzukis how crazy would it be to see 2 top tier guys retire and a brand go away at the same time?

Thoughts?

Suzuki is just fine? Why did yoshi have to bail out the factory team? Why did the company file bankruptcy? Why is one of the topics here talking about how suzuki doesn't sell bike?

Yeah they are fine...

The proof is there I don't think there will be a new 2016 Suzuki nor will js7 be racing in 2016

My take is MX racing is more of a prestige venture for motorcycle companies. They could sell millions of scooters in Asia and we declare the company dead if they don't podium. I really don't know the financials of Suzuki. Honda probably makes more money on lawnmowers than MX bikes. Quads kept a lot of dealers going.

There is a double whammy going on now. Lots of people are enjoying the recovery, others aren't or are waiting for the other shoe to drop. Racing is getting more expensive with four strokes and higher gas prices.

Maybe Penski will pick up the Suzuki racing program. They like yellow and messing with JGR might suit them. 8-)

Suzuki is just fine? Why did yoshi have to bail out the factory team? Why did the company file bankruptcy? Why is one of the topics here talking about how suzuki doesn't sell bike?

Yeah they are fine...

The proof is there I don't think there will be a new 2016 Suzuki nor will js7 be racing in 2016

You dont own a suzuki.  I got a letter in my mail saying it was the cars that werent selling.  Ever heard of pontiac?  That was a sector of gm that went away same thing.  The American suzuki car went away thats it. The bikes are here too stay and hell if you went to europe you can still but yourself a suzuki car.

My take is MX racing is more of a prestige venture for motorcycle companies. They could sell millions of scooters in Asia and we declare the company dead if they don't podium. I really don't know the financials of Suzuki. Honda probably makes more money on lawnmowers than MX bikes. Quads kept a lot of dealers going.

There is a double whammy going on now. Lots of people are enjoying the recovery, others aren't or are waiting for the other shoe to drop. Racing is getting more expensive with four strokes and higher gas prices.

Maybe Penski will pick up the Suzuki racing program. They like yellow and messing with JGR might suit them. 8-)

+1 Agreed. But I don't think 4Ts or gas prices have much to do with it. MX racing was a marketing venture for Japanese companies as they grew their volume sales and name recognition starting in late 60s. Remember good products at affordable working and middle class prices with high volume sales?? Dirtbikes were once a growing market in the US but that time has come and gone for a lot of reasons not least of which is the growth of quads. :ride: So why sponsor something with little bang for the buck anymore? Zuk is smart to get out given their problems they should sell the dirtbike division to the Chinese. Bajaj oops I mean KTM has seen the light. :jawdrop:

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/bajaj-auto-in-talks-to-pick-controlling-stake-in-ktm/1107460/

Edited by Chaconne

Yeah they are fine...

Only suzuki america filed bankruptcy, the auto division . nothing to do with the major portion of suzuki japan which is much larger than you think.

• Like 1

Suzuki sells a shit load of bikes. We Americans only see what's going on here. We ignor 9/10ths of the world

Look in the link for a clearer table >>>>>>>> http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/statistics/motorcycle-sales-statistics.htm

Japanese Motorcycle Production and Exports, Q1-Q2 2013

August 7, 2013 - (JAMA, Edited by webBikeWorld) - Production reports for Japanese motorcycles for the first half of 2013.

Japanese Motorcycle Production by Engine Displacement and Manufacturer: January to June 2013 (Units)

50cc & Under 51--125cc 126-250cc Over 250cc Over 50cc Total Grand Total

HONDA 10,013 619 6,568 53,678 60,865 70,878

SUZUKI 21,703 2,865 10,832 51,265 64,962 86,665

YAMAHA 1,804 6,445 14,321 55,720 76,486 78,290

KAWASAKI - 965 5,516 20,698 27,179 27,179

Others 650 - 8 - 8 658

TOTAL 34,170 10,894 37,245 181,361 229,500 263,670

Japanese Motorcycle Exports by Region: January to June 2013 (Units)

• Like 2

Suzuki sells a shit load of bikes. We Americans only see what's going on here. We ignor 9/10ths of the world

Look in the link for a clearer table >>>>>>>> http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/statistics/motorcycle-sales-statistics.htm

Looks like suzuki, the company named in this thread as not selling motorcycles sells more than any other brand (many are small displacement).

Edited by ncc
  • Like 1