Sign in to follow this  

Front sprocket sizes - 15 tooth?

Didn't find this covered in the FAQs thread: wanted to fit a 15 tooth front sprocket and found it won't fit with the stock chain swingarm slide guard in place. I'm probably missing something simple but would appreciate a little help here. Several vendors sell a 15 so there has to be a way. Obviously don't want to leave the slide guard off. Bike is an 03 E

TIA,

George

George Catt

(sometimes in) Kingman, Arizona

Where did you read that? To my knowledge only the 16T CS is where you run into fitment issues.

An E model comes stock with a 14 sprocket.  The case guard on the E is fitted for the 14.  You need to relieve the case guard to fit the 15 sprocket or buy the 15 case guard for the S/SM model.  I would buy the S/SM guard as only the 15 is available as a service replacement part.  If you ever wanted to replace the 14 sprocket, it would be good to have the 14 guard  with the 14 sprocket.  Your case guard is marked "14".

All, the case guard is easy to get but I'm runnng into clearance problems between the rear of the 15 and the swingarm rub strip where it wraps around the front of the swingarm. Maybe my rub guard is not stock?

Yes, possibly not stock.  The stock one allows the 15 to slip on when oriented properly.  When in place, there is a groove in the rub strip to allow clearance to turn.  At lease that is how I remember putting a 15 on my 2000 E model.

Yes, possibly not stock.  The stock one allows the 15 to slip on when oriented properly.  When in place, there is a groove in the rub strip to allow clearance to turn.  At lease that is how I remember putting a 15 on my 2000 E model.

Thanks, Noble. Just about what I was thinking. I'll try carving out the old one and see if I can make the 15 fit. Still need to order up the S cover.

I've never had any issues with a 15 tooth not fitting, but I just tried a new 16 tooth sunstar.  I had to trim a bit of rubber and then it looked like it would work OK.  But after my first ride, I checked and it had taken a chunk out of my swingarm.  I'm not sure exactly how deep, but bad enough.

Thanks, Noble. Just about what I was thinking. I'll try carving out the old one and see if I can make the 15 fit. Still need to order up the S cover.

Never mind. (in my best Emily Litella voice.) With a stronger light and less exhaustion I was able to fit the 15 tooth no problem. Just tired yesterday evening I guess. Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

I've never had any issues with a 15 tooth not fitting, but I just tried a new 16 tooth sunstar.  I had to trim a bit of rubber and then it looked like it would work OK.  But after my first ride, I checked and it had taken a chunk out of my swingarm.  I'm not sure exactly how deep, but bad enough.

That is why it's recommended to get the Driven Racing brand 16 T sprocket as it has a slightly smaller diameter than others (won't cut into the swingarm).

That is why it's recommended to get the Driven Racing brand 16 T sprocket as it has a slightly smaller diameter than others (won't cut into the swingarm).

I did check and found that the Driven 16 T was most recommended, unfortunately, I also read (in TT) that the Sunstar worked just as well.  I should have gone with the majority.

I did check and found that the Driven 16 T was most recommended, unfortunately, I also read (in TT) that the Sunstar worked just as well. I should have gone with the majority.

I also own a Sunstar 16t that won't fit. Frustrating.