Sign in to follow this  

2011 YZ250F fly wheel weight?

I have been looking around and can only find Yamaha's fly wheel weight at just 2.08 oz.  The '09s are showing 11oz weights.  This seems like a big difference.

Am I missing something here?  Will the 2.08 oz one be good enough for my woods and trail riding?

Thanks!

I've run FWWs and GYTR flywheels in the past. Here's the diff in weight measurement equation. The GYTR flywheels have 2.08 oz extra welded on to the outside of a normal Yam flywheel. The 9oz weight is a designation of mass value which Steahly Off Road assigns to their flywheels.

To compare the FWW to the GYTR flywheel, Steahly 7 oz is about equivalent to the Yam GYTR. If you go to Steahly's chart of recommendations, you'll see what size is best for which riders. IMO, Steahly has the values spot on.

For your 2011, you can indeed run the Steahly FWW IF you buy an older 03-09 LH engine cover. You will lose the oil check window with the old cover, but you probably will not miss the window unless you want to check the level of your oil. And honestly, I've ridden YZ250Fs for 11 yrs and I quit checking the oil level about 10.5 yrs ago.

Hope all this makes sense and helps your decision.

• Like 1

That may be one of the better informative responses bazooka.  Was looking for that left hand side cover information for some time.

Thanks