Fix it Right or Fix it Twice?

Ok just to start out I'm not trying to bash anyone or start and argument but I want to see if I am not the only one with this theory...

I was at the track for the first time ever and at the end of the day he had a flat tire and the next weekend we had a riding trip up north planned,  myself and my friends recommended he take it to a shop and pay to have it fixed but he decided to do it himself. He "fixed" it but when we got it up north it was popped because he used screw drivers. He the bought 2 cans of fix a flat and put those in it for a day but at the end of the ride it was flat, she he finally took it to the only shop here. The rim lock was trashed and so was the rim strip so it was even more to fix it then. So in theory if he did it right the first time

Tube-$10

Labor-$20

Total-$30

Or do it cheap first

Tube x2-$20

Fix a flat x2-$20

Rim Lock-$10

Rim Strap-$1

Labor-$40

Total-$91

Now again not to be jerk but it also took an hour at the shop to change it when we could have been riding.So does anyone else agree with me or am I just crazy?

Edited by 2006YZ250FRIDER85

Which one is it, wheres the theory

Updated it, sorry it got cut off...

Iron working has taught me: If you positively 150% don't know how to do it, give the job to someone who does.

Your theory is right. That's a job I can do and take it to a shop for 90% of the time  :D

Yes, I is a lazy cunce. :lol:

Most motorcycle riders can repair their own flats, and you learn to do so by trying and sometimes failing, What do you do when you get a flat on the road or trail and there is no dealer around?

Mike

We have always changed our own tires. My dad taught us and now we know how to do it. I think everyone that rides should at least learn how to in case they have an emergency or something. 

Edited by D-rek07

Spoons $10

HD tube $30

Total: 40 bucks, but cheaper after that.

PS fix a flat sucks! It's like sticky water. Slime is way better and cheaper (though not ideal). It's thick goo and has chunks of rubber. But it's best to get a new tube.

I’m a strong proponent of do it right the first time, or don’t do it at all.

Especially at work. I cringe when a supervisor tells me to patch it up for now and we’ll fix it again later. Sometimes later never comes, and I spend countless hours patching it up, over and over again. If later does come, it usually takes longer because the broken part from the first time wore out or broke other items. Then it costs more to repair right. Then I get called in and have to explain why it cost so much, and why did other parts wear out or break. I calmly tell them about do it right the first time, or don’t do it at all and they get pissed. Such is life…..

, she he finally took it to the only shop here.

This may be the underlying issue ?

Most motorcycle riders can repair their own flats, and you learn to do so by trying and sometimes failing, What do you do when you get a flat on the road or trail and there is no dealer around?

Mike

Pretty simple isn't it? you fix it yourself or limp home and risk destroying your tube, tyre and rim...

If I notice my tyre is flat in the garage I can guarantee you I'd rather take it in, and use the down time to service other components of the machine.

Its been ages since I've had a flat, dunno how that is because I ride on jagged rocks all the time  :thinking: Just don't run flat tyres?

Mark

Only let a shop mount a new tire & tube...ONCE. I flatted the next day...pinched. After that, I continue to mount my own. So far, 6 tire/tube changes...no pinch flats.

Sometimes you have a bad day.  I don't think I have pinched a tube in about 4 years.  That is dozens of tires for me.  Couple weeks ago went to change the front tire on one of my minis and pinched the tube like 4 times.  Finally got it but what a pain in the ass.  Doesn't mean I should now take all my tires to the dealer to have mounted.  I will say if you were planning a big trip he should have made sure his bike was prepped properly.  Can't stand people who wait until you are out in the middle of nowhere to work on their crap.

Only let a shop mount a new tire & tube...ONCE. I flatted the next day...pinched. After that, I continue to mount my own. So far, 6 tire/tube changes...no pinch flats.

Sometimes you have a bad day.  I don't think I have pinched a tube in about 4 years.  That is dozens of tires for me.  Couple weeks ago went to change the front tire on one of my minis and pinched the tube like 4 times.  Finally got it but what a pain in the ass.  Doesn't mean I should now take all my tires to the dealer to have mounted.  I will say if you were planning a big trip he should have made sure his bike was prepped properly.  Can't stand people who wait until you are out in the middle of nowhere to work on their crap.

Pretty simple isn't it? you fix it yourself or limp home and risk destroying your tube, tyre and rim...

If I notice my tyre is flat in the garage I can guarantee you I'd rather take it in, and use the down time to service other components of the machine.

Its been ages since I've had a flat, dunno how that is because I ride on jagged rocks all the time  :thinking: Just don't run flat tyres?

Mark

In over 40 years of riding, I have never taken in a tire. In the past 35 years or so, I have never had a flat due to operator error. Actually, the only thing I've taken in is a cylinder to be bored, an a countershaft to have a gear pressed off and a new one on.

Would take me longer to run the tire in 10 miles, then go back to pick it up, than to do it myself.

Mike

Would take me longer to run the tire in 10 miles, then go back to pick it up, than to do it myself.

Mike

And that is the argument for doing it yourself and getting practice. In the case of the OP circumstances are different. Whomever changed that tube did not have over 40 years of dirtbike experience and cost his friends valuable riding time, that is why I believe the OP's theory is correct.

If you don't know what you are doing, and have the reverse midas effect (what you touch turns to sh*t) don't waste people's time, get it done properly. The other guy fits into that category.

If you know what you are doing and want to do it, why take it to a shop? You fit into this category.

Sometimes I do it to keep my eye in, but it gives no satisfaction. You may as well enjoy life, and changing tyres is not what I wake up for.

Mark

This is basically an example of get the right tools which are like $10 which will last you a lifetime btw and do it correctly or save the $10 and pay someone who has the correct tools and know how to do it.  I mean changing tires aint rocket science. I know personally i have been changing tires since I was like 10.  Some people much younger but unlike a lot of other people i had to work on my bike in order to ride it.  Guess Im glad now that I can do my own bike work with out having to call daddy up.

This is basically an example of get the right tools which are like $10 which will last you a lifetime btw and do it correctly or save the $10 and pay someone who has the correct tools and know how to do it.  I mean changing tires aint rocket science. I know personally i have been changing tires since I was like 10.  Some people much younger but unlike a lot of other people i had to work on my bike in order to ride it.  Guess Im glad now that I can do my own bike work with out having to call daddy up.

Hahaha. 

Woulda never guessed that using tyre levers aint rocket science.

Funnily enough the only part of my bike thats been back to the dealer is the rims and tyres....

Sounds like you're having a go? I simply do not like changing tyres, its not lack of being made to learn how and I don't often pinch the tubes when I do it. Always worked on it and worked for it. Paid cash mate, and my 'daddy' would not give a sh*t if I couldn't fix it for a ride.

Mark

Hahaha. 

Woulda never guessed that using tyre levers aint rocket science.

Funnily enough the only part of my bike thats been back to the dealer is the rims and tyres....

Sounds like you're having a go? I simply do not like changing tyres, its not lack of being made to learn how and I don't often pinch the tubes when I do it. Always worked on it and worked for it. Paid cash mate, and my 'daddy' would not give a sh*t if I couldn't fix it for a ride.

Mark

I think most of our dads are like that lol thats the point.

I think most of our dads are like that lol thats the point.

I am not sure the point you were trying to make, whether its an inference toward me, younger riders, gen y, or the OP or his friends.

Pretty much everything I know about dirt bikes (not a huge amount, enough to get by most of the time though) has been learned the hard way from experience, or secondary research.

This thread actually has me wanting to wear out a tyre to get some practice in lol  :lol:

I’m a strong proponent of do it right the first time, or don’t do it at all.

Especially at work. I cringe when a supervisor tells me to patch it up for now and we’ll fix it again later. Sometimes later never comes, and I spend countless hours patching it up, over and over again. If later does come, it usually takes longer because the broken part from the first time wore out or broke other items. Then it costs more to repair right. Then I get called in and have to explain why it cost so much, and why did other parts wear out or break. I calmly tell them about do it right the first time, or don’t do it at all and they get pissed. Such is life…..

You must be an engineer where I work....stupid "fix a flat"

To the OP, I change my own tires and tubes.....well 6 bikes worth.....the last set of tires I did on 2 of the smaller bikes...all had holes in them when I was done.....grrrrr....I hate that....took me 3 tries to get the tube into a 65 w/o a pinch...why..I don't know, but it happens. Here's what you need to talk to your friend about......Make sure your bike is "ready to ride" or we will quit riding with you!

I have that "buddy", can't fix his stuff until it's the night before a ride, everyone is at the trail waiting for him to get his sh!t sorted.....we don't invite him anymore.