Sign in to follow this  

I got a noise, have no clue what it is....

This is really tuff to describe. At first it sounded like a bad bearing spinning down about 1.5 seconds after the engine dropped rpm. Sounded like a rotating/vibrating gut noise. I cannot tell where it’s coming from. I hear it when I am riding and the bike is hot. I have heard it a few times cold. Today it seems to be getting worse and every time I rolled up to a light I could hear a delay spin down rattle/scraping/spinning noise. The wife even heard it from the back. If you have ever heard a bad throw-out bearing it sounds a bit like that. With my helmet off and riding here by my house it sounded high pitch and rattling noise like.

I have no idea what this is. I think I should just take it to the dealer and let them sort it out. My fear is they make a guess and guess wrong and start "replacing" parts until they finally guess right or blind luck and I get a BIG bill. Are there any good motor guys in Socal I can trust?

Any of you guys live in the Socal area and have a chance to listen to my bike? Or can you take a guess?

Edited by problemchild200

I had a camshaft bearing issue, it didn't have enough oil it seems, first there was a sound like something's chewing a metal part (alike to a bad wheel bearing sound but quiter), could hear it while going at sustaind rpms pretty good, it lasted for about 100 miles then the bearing broke and the bike made those sounds like saying it won't go anywhere until given some attention, wasted all day searching for those metal balls under head cover and any metal particles behind right crankcase cover, also, no real harm done, a rocker wore off, but the bike still started first kick when put back together

The crank bearings are the ones that will turn fast and have to "wind down" when letting off the throttle. About the only real good way to know for sure is to take the side covers off, take out the sparkplug, and spin it over by hand to listen where the bearing sound rough. Do it now before it takes out more parts, expensive parts.

Im in Long Beach , CA

Why does it not make the sound all the time? Why only when stopping at a light and then for 1 second? If I climb off the bike its too late its done making the sound. You can rev it up and down from the kickstand and no noise. Very frustrating!

What would it cost to have a good engine ship in Socal take it apart and diagnose?

In my opinion your mains are spinning. Load is different off throttle. There is an issue the noise wont dissapear, it will get worse. I priced them at 50 and 30 bux at HB honda. If nothing else in your motor is mucked up than youre escaping with a cheap parts list. But of course youll probably wanna do more once youre inside.

I think, theres a solid particle or particles in your oil or stuck in the bearing and it floats around till it gets stuck. Then the bearing will stop spinning as it should and the crank grabs it and spins the outer race in the motor cases race. Too much of this might wear out the tolerance of the steel rind and or the crank snout.

Come to Surf City, ill help you

EZ

Ok I slow rode it up and down the street till it got really warm (200f). When i shift into second and rps are low and I give it gas to put a heavy load on it I think i hear a high pitch clankering sound, like high carbon steel falling on a cement garage floor but I cannot tell where its coming from.

Sorry for the piss poor description but this is unlike anything I have ever heard a bike do before and wont do it when off the bike for now.

Surf city? Where is that? Im in socal (long beach)

Thought you might just have a vibration, but if its doing it more and more, might be something else, double check if motor mounts are tight, let us know how it goes

Ill check the motor mounts. I run supreme and its fresh so it should not be a knock. Plus knock comes under load which I have but I also have the noise when rolling up to a light with no load and coasting.

I got a bad feeling......

100 for a full gasket set.

My fifth was about 100

Pm brian hare aboit a spare second,hell give you a deal.

Bearings 80 at Honda

Rings 50

Hone 25

And thats excluding labor and anything else you find that needs replacement

Maybe in the head is where most wear starts.

Gotta get in there and look

I got some L gaskets that came in my set you can have...

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C

Anyone have a schematic of the internals complete or maybe a working animation of this engine?

Plenty of exploded views with a quick search on the net. But get a book you will use it.

As for the noise, a bearing retainer comes to mind for some reason.

Not all bearings have them, but they will ride on the bearing edge if they come off and make a hideous noise.

Plenty of exploded views with a quick search on the net. But get a book you will use it.

As for the noise, a bearing retainer comes to mind for some reason.

Not all bearings have them, but they will ride on the bearing edge if they come off and make a hideous noise.

which book is best?

Here's something for you while you ride or work on the machine..Been checking the G/map..noted your locations..appropriate I thought.