So... how is this tire?

"I had a Pilot Power be gone in under 3k miles because I never checked the tire pressure and ran it at 18 PSI the entire time I had it on the bike"

-Brandon B (in my recent shinko 705 post)

Look for Brandon to throw his two in, I'm sure he'll be able to tell you more about that tire.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/72/962/6164/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Power-Rear-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

150/60/17

How is it in general?

Will it be garbage or comparable to stock SM tire for light offroading?

In general ? Great road tyre, wet or dry they warm up fast and wear fairly well.

Light offroading..... Awesome up to about 20 miles an hour, after that you should prolly invest in some VERY GOOD safety gear. PP's are designed for 100% road use not dirt riding !!

EDIT: Michelin Recommended Use: 95% Street Riding / 5% Track Days

Edited by Mad Dogg W

It was a good tire, but because of my negligence it wore extremely quickly.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/72/962/6164/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Power-Rear-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

150/60/17

How is it in general?

Will it be garbage or comparable to stock SM tire for light offroading?

paved roads = great

gravel roads = ok

mud roads = no

no road (REAL off road, as in single/double track, pine straw, creeks, etc) = no

the trend of calling a dirt road big enough for two cars to pass each other "off road" needs to die. 

That's why I said "light offroad" as in grass, gravel dirt etc..

Grass... Somebody just wants to be a hooligan and try some "drifting" on the football fields at the local universities... Ask me how I know..

Also from my brief experience with them (got a rear pp a month ago for my sm) it seems to be a good tire. Lots of grip and no sign of wear. Although I have only put maybe 300 kms on it.

great tire period!. have used them and works for almost everything.. 

they are worth your money to at least try..and if you dont go for them on the next set i wouldn't doubt you'd have no problem buying them at some other point. just a great tire all around..

My front tire is stock dunlop and looks to be ok. Will I be ok just buying a rear of the Pilot Power?

Yes you'll be fine with just the rear change. But you'd be doing yourself some injustice by not removing the dunflops as your performance would greatly improve with a better tire that the stock

My front tire is stock dunlop and looks to be ok. Will I be ok just buying a rear of the Pilot Power?

Get rid of that piece of sh!t dunlop on the front.

I just changed mine after nearly coming off 3 times mid corner from the front washing out with no warning. 

The new Dunlop Q2 has made an enormous difference to the handling..

I just started a thread on these tires a few days ago. I have a set of Pilot powers on the way from motorcycle superstore right now. Like everyone said they seem like a great tire for Tarmac, but if you are even looking at doing the occasional off roading I would look elsewhere.

Any street tire on anything but a paved surface will be horrible. Pilot powers are pretty good...quick to warm up and pretty happy with just about any temp (unless youre at the track and its over 85 and sunny they will overheat) i would get 2ct though or pilot road 3, better life out of those. I had pilot roads 3s on my cbr 1000 and if you ride the correct way you shouldn't have a problem dragging knee.

I always ran them on my sportbikes, love them. Great road tires but even in grass they won't grip well at all.

PP is a great road tire. They just wear too quick for me. Commuting at 100 degrees melts tires

a lot of folks get hurt (badly) just dicking around in wet grass. be careful. 

as far as gravel roads and general goofing off goes, ya, you'll get as much traction as any other street tire will. if you want to use the drz as a dual sport (what it was made for) try out some shinko244's or trailwings and see how far the drz can really go. avoid mud with these, just like you would with those slick street tires. ;-)

a lot of folks get hurt (badly) just dicking around in wet grass. be careful.

as far as gravel roads and general goofing off goes, ya, you'll get as much traction as any other street tire will. if you want to use the drz as a dual sport (what it was made for) try out some shinko244's or trailwings and see how far the drz can really go. avoid mud with these, just like you would with those slick street tires. ;-)

I thought I dislocated my shoulder riding across wet grass, I touched the front brake and the bike was instantly on the ground. It was the most painful crash I had and it was under 10 mph.

I thought I dislocated my shoulder riding across wet grass, I touched the front brake and the bike was instantly on the ground. It was the most painful crash I had and it was under 10 mph.

But you didn't dislocate it?

But you didn't dislocate it?

No, sprained it or something. Had pretty bad pains in it for a few weeks and took a while to be able to lift my arm above me head.