Nobody likes a sandbagger! But it's my first race

So I'm going the Lake Elsinore Grand Prix. It's my first race but I don't know which class to get into. I ride a 2013 KTM 500 EXC.

The classes are 30+ Beginner, intermediate, and expert. I want to do intermediate but I've never raced before. I feel pretty good on a bike and keep up with most of the people I ride with, but beginner seems like it makes most sense. I have 60hours on this KTM all dirt hours, I had 2 other bikes about 6 years ago and rode about 1x a week.

What do you normally do ur first race at?

So I'm going the Lake Elsinore Grand Prix. It's my first race but I don't know which class to get into. I ride a 2013 KTM 500 EXC.

The classes are 30+ Beginner, intermediate, and expert. I want to do intermediate but I've never raced before. I feel pretty good on a bike and keep up with most of the people I ride with, but beginner seems like it makes most sense. I have 60hours on this KTM all dirt hours, I had 2 other bikes about 6 years ago and rode about 1x a week.

BEGINNER...

you have never raced before... then you are a beginner. If you crush EVERYBODY hands down then move up at your next race. But make no mistake about it... you are a beginner if you have never raced. I raced an entire season of "offroad" in the C class (call it beginner if you like). I learned a ton, got a lot of great experience, had some really good results but never won a race and had a blast... decided I would move up to the B class the following season. Over the summer I started to ride a bit on the moto track with a guy I worked with. He talked me in to signing up for a race series... I, like you, thought ... hey I can hold my own out there on practice nights... so I thought I'll sign up in the intermediate class for moto... besides I was gonna race B class offroad next year. Then they called  for mini and "BEGINNER" practice... there were more dudes than not huckin a  110 foot table top on the back straight of the local track... some of them were whipping and shit.... BEGINNER my ass!!! Sign up beginner and go race... if you are that fast, you will know when the checkers come out. If you are that much faster than the rest of the real beginners... then move up! 

I thought I was a pretty good rider, then I went racing and found out the truth. start in the beginner class...

be·gin·ner

/biˈginər/

noun

noun: beginner; plural noun: beginners

a person just starting to learn a skill or take part in an activity.

synonyms:

novice, newcomer, fledgling, neophyte, starter, learner, student, apprentice, trainee; More

Depending the series unless you have documented races its mandatory your a C rider.

Edited by BEN HONDA RACER

Beginner. Most people overestimate their skill level. This is a proven fact. Let the post race score determine if you should enter intermediate.

Beginner racer <> beginner rider. 

I've never raced off-road but I've seen the same thing on road course trackdays over and over again. A street rider signs up for their first time on the track and thinks they should run in intermediate because they are not new to riding. They get an eye opening experience and either get kicked out of intermediate, crash, or move them selves down to beginner after the first session of the day.

Don't get hung up on terms. If you've never raced you are a Beginner.  As others have said - Wait till the race is over to determine how you stack up.

What ever class you are in, get in shape! I rode the LEGP last year, 30+ NOV and the Mushman 100. The track is rough, water, fast straights in blinding dust ( don't stop, you'll get run over!). Huge up hill with boulders rolling down from riders infront of you..... Total carnage! It was great!

The way the start is you will be mixed in with all different classes. S you won't know if the guy next to you is an EXP! Just ride your race and finish.

My first race I thought I was going to do good, but there were better beginners, so I would just go with that for this race, it's your first, there are things you probably haven't learned yet.

Hahaha I thought I was gonna own my first beginner race.

And as far as sandbaggers don't worry chances are there will be a couple guys that would rather win beginners class than place mid pack intermediate.

Edited by DirtyMan

Haha for my first race I entered college boy because it said 125cc or above. I was racing a 98 125 and then when the 450's started lining up. Then I asked the guy that was next to me he said its mostly A or B riders..... I got toasted!