250 trail bike

Next year I'm planing on getting a trail bike. People keep saying 250's are money pits. Is this true with the trail bikes too? I know maintenance is key, but I don't want to have to spend a lot of money on one if it blows up. Also, I've never owned a 4 stroke before. How hard is it to check valves? Thanks.

Not too hard. Trail bikes you don't have to worry about as much as the motocross bikes. Are you referring to a crf-x/ or wr? Or like a crf230 or xr? Air cooled trail bikes are pretty rock solid.

Edited by perkybewbs

I'm talking about something like the crfx or wr.

Yeah those are going to require a bit more upkeep. Crf still has that notorious valve train from a few years ago. I would go for a kdx220, xr400, or a Ktm xc or one of the new bergs even. I looked at those in person few weeks back. The 2 strokes are really really nice.

The CRF no longer has valves issues , valve wear is caused by dirt ingestion , mainly .

Finding a decent KDX or XR is not easy .

Most of the people here average close to 5000 miles on the valve train on WR250Fs. These aren't slow guys either, most are fast C to mid pack B harescramble racers. Don't know much about the CRF-X bikes as they are very seldom seen in this local. Upkeep and maintenance is the key to longevity with any bike, but the WRs are tough customers no doubt.

True that. I didn't know they resolved that on the X models. They've largely been the same since their inception. Ktm xc is an excellent choice. I've ridden a 2011 250sx and it was alien to me but I'm sure that if I owned one i could get used to it. KDXs are nice if you can find one. Super nice. Kawasaki 2 strokes are rock solid.

WR is a bomber trail bike. And no trail bikes don't see near the rpm pounding as track bikes.

I looked at the kdx and xr. I could find both in excellent condition for around 2k. Here's what I'm worried about. The kdx is a 2 stroke, so how does it do in low rpm's? With the xr, it is heavier by 30lbs. I currently ride a cr125, so it's about 60 lbs heavier. I'm kind of short(5'5), but I'll probably grow over winter. Do you think the xr will be to heavy? Thanks.

I grew up on trail bikes all my life until I just got my first race bike. I would go towards a Honda crf250x or a xr250 or a crf230 (a Yamaha TTR230 is also good, I've owned one) trail bikes no matter was engine size is by no means a money pit, trail bikes are built stronger to last longer, some trail bikes come with timing chain auto tighteners and the valves on trail bikes almost never go out of adjustment unless something is wrong with the bike (if preowned)

KDX is a woods bike plain and simple. Plenty of low end manageable grunt and low up keep. Great bikes with a pile of after market stuff for them. I ride with a lot of guys that just keep rebuilding them and beating them.

I grew up on trail bikes all my life until I just got my first race bike. I would go towards a Honda crf250x or a xr250 or a crf230 (a Yamaha TTR230 is also good, I've owned one) trail bikes no matter was engine size is by no means a money pit, trail bikes are built stronger to last longer, some trail bikes come with timing chain auto tighteners and the valves on trail bikes almost never go out of adjustment unless something is wrong with the bike (if preowned)

...they ever get that hole uni-cam thing worked out?

I also found some 01-06 wr250's for 2000-2500. Not so many crf-x's though.

Whoa whoa, ok if you're going 2t,a KDX or a KTM 200 would be great woods options. If you want to go 4t the air cooled stuff does not run like the liquid cooled stuff i.e. ttr230,crf230. A WR or a CRF250X are far superior woods bikes. Generally speaking if you can find an adult owned and ridden 250 that has been maintained well. It should give you no problems other then regular maintenance. Woods bikes rarely bounce off the rev limiters and just don't see the top end of the engine range like a track bike does. That said if I had to make my choice it would be the Yamaha. Not that I dislike the Hondas they are great riding bikes I've just seen more problematic valves with the Honda the the Yamaha.

I think I'll go with the kdx. Forgot to put this in my first post, but what ever bike I get, I'll be doing some harescrambles with. Will the kdx do fine?

KDX will do fine for a while. It is not a serious racer by any means.

I had a KDX as my first bike when I was 14 or 15. The only maintenance I ever did to it was put gas in it, never gave me any problems for the three years I owned it.

Considering getting another one 2000 or newer or getting an KTM 200/300. All depends on what I find first.

I dont mean to be racist agsinst kdx bikes,they are great,,xr's are ok,tough,but when you dump them in a bad spot they will make you pay for your sins,for one in weight,but mostly starting the sumbitch if it dies while on its side! i know because i still own 2 of em. For 2000-up you can buy a ktm 2t 250,exc,xc-w ,or xc.the sx hyper for a casual rider. Treat a 2000 model-up ktm 2t right,top end every 30 hrs, clean airfilters always, good quality drive set ,and you will never regret it. Seriously , hop on a 2006 ktm 250xc-w ,then climb on a kdx 220,or wr250,or crf250,,,.,you'll choose the ktm. I spend majority of my time riding steep,brutal terrain in southern wv , and honestly ,,,,the overwhelming majority of hardcore riders ride ktm,gasgas ,or bergs. Spend the extra money and you wont regret it. There aint too many kdx's worth even close to 2 grand, an xr on the otherhand if plateable will command that price,,,,but , they are casual trail bikes at best,,,,unless you are scott summers..lol. do some research,,you'll find im right.