Sign in to follow this  

Honda releasing a 2 stroke?

I'm not really into rumors or speculation but this months DR magazine claims of honda brewing up a new 2 stroke is shocking. But really, an off road bike? That's a bit frustrating. If they came out with CR's again I would happily dive into 7 grand more in debt. Honda in my opinion would be the least likely to pull this. Most likely out of the japs would probably be suzuki. I don't want to start this up but really... Emissions? Why are we so concerned about emissions on a tiny 250cc motor? Hasn't this gone far enough already? These companies would make an absolute killing if they brought them back. They'd make even more if the AMA let them back in. Don't know if that's a possibility or not but it does looks like something is ACTUALLY on the horizon. I'm pretty happy about that. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

• Like 2

It would be awesome if a japanese company made a 125 2 stroke that has the new suspension tech on it.  I dont fancy the euro bikes too much.  No one knows whats going to happen but if they plan on making one we would see it a few years down the road if at all.

Yeah actually the husqvarna is a really good bike. I know you said you don't like the euros but its supposedly great if you can find one.. They include a big bore kit with it, which is really cool. If I could muster the strength to ride one of those I would. For me a 125 is a lot like riding a bicycle.

• Like 2

Honda is a bit of a conundrum.  As a company, they've never really liked 2-strokes.  They only built them because they had to for racing needs.  But that's where their pride in engineering showed up and they made the best 2 strokes out there for many years.  Honda has always felt they were an engineering company who happened to make things also.  So from that perspective, it makes perfect sense that Big Red will be the first to release an emissions compliant direct injected 2-stroke.  

• Like 1

Honda builds some surperby crafted motorcycles, but the CR125's of the early- mid 2000's were total clams in the engine department. If Honda is truly going to re-release the CR125 they better extract some more power from their current engine platform (and add a 6th gear ) !

Edited by Polar_Bus

I'm not really into rumors or speculation but this months DR magazine claims of honda brewing up a new 2 stroke is shocking. But really, an off road bike? That's a bit frustrating. If they came out with CR's again I would happily dive into 7 grand more in debt. Honda in my opinion would be the least likely to pull this. Most likely out of the japs would probably be suzuki. I don't want to start this up but really... Emissions? Why are we so concerned about emissions on a tiny 250cc motor? Hasn't this gone far enough already? These companies would make an absolute killing if they brought them back. They'd make even more if the AMA let them back in. Don't know if that's a possibility or not but it does looks like something is ACTUALLY on the horizon. I'm pretty happy about that. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

First, honda will make a two stroke when hell freezes over, they were grinning and licking their lips when two strokes went by the wayside. Now the emissions standpoint, the united states epa doesn't have ANYTHING to do with closed course competition vehicles. Hence why ktm two strokes don't get imported with spark arrestors, just a way to get around it. The AMA already allows equal displacement 250 4t to 250 2t in amateur racing, just not in pro racing, so that applies to about 99.99999% of humans that ride dirtbikes. The pros can race a 250 pinger against 450s, but why would they want to? Another thing.... Those dirt rider idiots have lost damn near the last iota of journalistic credability with the last issue that was just released. I just shook my head when they were speculating that honda was going to release a di two stroke, nonetheless a two stroke. Flip to the back page and those morons (mainly that doofy bastard Chris Dennison, how he got the editor position is beyond me...Is it too late to ask for Jimmy Lewis back? At least he knew what he was talking about) were testing the 250xc and didn't know why it didn't come with a spark arrestor.....morons I say.

Edited by screnshaw400
  • Like 3

I know that, but dirt rider is making claims that they are releasing one unless its a red yamaha. How can they lose journalistic credibility if you cannot prove that is false. Sounds like Ktm is making the claim in a round about way. I agree that honda hates the 2 stroke. However, the profit margins to be had are explosive. You never know. It's not really speculation either. The claims they make are positive that its going to happen. If Ktm is waiting for them to release theirs then it would never be released if honda was not going to release the 2 stroke. I am not a big fan of whiny ass jimmy Lewis. I respect him but he's not my favorite. Not saying dennison is my hero..

Edited by perkybewbs

I know that, but dirt rider is making claims that they are releasing one unless its a red yamaha and that wouldn't matter because they've already got 2 strokes.

Just a ploy for people to buy their magazines. 

• Like 1

It would be awesome if a japanese company made a 125 2 stroke that has the new suspension tech on it.  I dont fancy the euro bikes too much.  No one knows whats going to happen but if they plan on making one we would see it a few years down the road if at all.

The YZ125 comes with the same suspension components as the last generation of 4 strokes.

You're delusional if you believe honda or any company would make a killing by re-releasing a 2 stroke. If a person wanted a 2 stroke so badly, they could buy a KTM. The option is there and some people take advantage of it but plenty don't. A 250 2 stroke is fun as hell to ride but I'm not getting rid of my 450 any time soon and I'm sure there's plenty of people that would agree with me. I'm not trying to start a 2t vs 4t debate here. Maybe one of the jap companies will release a 2t in the future but I don't think they're gonna be raking in the cash if they do.

Edited by fineblackline

Honda likely has more twostroke technology sitting on dusty shelves and holds more related patents than any other single manufacture.  But that doesn't seem to be the direction of the company recently so I'd be surprised too?   wasn't it yamaha that sent the twostroke packing in motocross?

• Like 1

I would sell my 4 stroke to get one if it came down to it. I'm tired of the same old yz regardless of suspension. It's an old ass boring design. Not everyone wants a sloppy handling Ktm. Those bikes don't really like to turn in my experiences. Ktm is selling a lot of 2 strokes. You just about have to be on a waiting list for a new one around here. 450's are a bit much for most people and cannot use it to full potential. I did not sustain nearly as many, even half as many injuries on a 250 as I did on a 450 and I rode the 250 longer. You're delusional if you think people want to keep jacking around with valve checks, shims, timing and whatever else these 4 stroke maintenance nightmares require. I along with a shit ton of people want new machines, not the old school yz or the funky Ktm. Those are options but not ideal. If it did turn out to be a false claim a whole bunch of people will not be subscribing or buying their mags anymore..that's a huge gamble to do something like that, that's why I halfway believe it. They also have access to information the average joe blow doesnt. I'm not saying its a fact but all logic says the probability is pretty high.

Don't get me wrong i like Ktm and think they are a great company. I also applaud them for continuing their 2 stroke line. The brutal truth is they handle like shit and a lot of people don't like them for that. I wish they did handle better I'd buy one. Not for me.

Edited by perkybewbs
  • Like 2

I would sell my 4 stroke to get one if it came down to it. I'm tired of the same old yz regardless of suspension. It's an old ass boring design. Not everyone wants a sloppy handling Ktm. Those bikes don't really like to turn in my experiences. Ktm is selling a lot of 2 strokes. You just about have to be on a waiting list for a new one around here. 450's are a bit much for most people and cannot use it to full potential. I did not sustain nearly as many, even half as many injuries on a 250 as I did on a 450 and I rode the 250 longer. You're delusional if you think people want to keep jacking around with valve checks, shims, timing and whatever else these 4 stroke maintenance nightmares require. I along with a shit ton of people want new machines, not the old school yz or the funky Ktm. Those are options but not ideal. If it did turn out to be a false claim a whole bunch of people will not be subscribing or buying their mags anymore..that's a huge gamble to do something like that, that's why I halfway believe it. They also have access to information the average joe blow doesnt. I'm not saying its a fact but all logic says the probability is pretty high. Don't get me wrong i like Ktm and think they are a great company. I also applaud them for continuing their 2 stroke line. The brutal truth is they handle like shit and a lot of people don't like them for that. I wish they did handle better I'd buy one. Not for me.

False claim. You can tell that it is from how much they are blowing subscriptions out for. I think that I got two years for 14.99. This IS the reason that they are making these claims, to get people's money. Oh yeah, I don't jack around with shims/maintenance nightmares, my 350 is hovering at over 100 hours, not an issue. That mindset of thought is from ten years ago.

No shims or maintenance sounds like u need a 2 t lol

I read the article in tbm which got my money also on direct inject it sounds like patents are being claimed but I think long ways from return of 2t and way off from direct inject not sure why they would spend the money on 2t if they get more money on 4t were the ones that deal with maintenance and weight is really what were complaining about we just want 60 hp in 220 lb and will be quiet

Im an old schooler I guess. I do like 4 strokes though. I am just a worry wart about it. I guess for the average c class dude valves may need to be adjusted every year and a half or about 60 hours or so. All of that aside I am keeping my rmz 250 because it is the sweetest riding little thing I've ever ridden BUT I want a smoker too. I'm tired of the old boring yz which has essentially been the same since the late 90s. The Ktm has curb appeal but god those things don't ride right. They just don't. If honda or kawasaki or suzuki came out with one ....the bottom line is people want 2 strokes. That's what everyone wishes for and wants now days, most people I know anyway. We can't say weather or not those claims are false because none of us know. Now if a Cheif honda engineer gets on here and says no we're not going back ever. Ok. One of these companies will pop one out in the next few years. People are demanding it.

I think there is a better chance of Kawasaki making an adult two stroke dirt bike before Honda or Suzuki.  Kawasaki updated the KX85 and KX100 this year so maybe they will make a 125 and 250 in the future.  I would like to see a modern version of the 200/220.  That would be sweet.

• Like 1

Side note with one years income Kawasaki industries...boats ..bikes..machines..could purchase honda Yamaha Suzuki and hd at once..fun fact for the day..either way if a manufacturer did do a new smoker...listed at 7 grand and only let out a limited number...next year drop a bunch of them everyone there dog and grandma would be lining up for that amazing brilliant bike !