Sign in to follow this  

Cr 85/80 vs crf 150

Which bike is better im gonna do woods and track I've found 2008 and newer 150s and 98-05 cr80/85 I need a bike that is not to loud to piss of my neighbors so I don't mind buying a fmf q and I don't want to foul plugs

CR 80/85's are awsome bikes.  If possible, I would try to find an 80/85 with a powervalve.  Will be a little smoother in power delivery for the woods.  Will definitely be easier to quiet down a 2 stroke to keep from annoying the neighbors.  You might even consider finding a 100/105 2 stroke.  They will have a little more down low and will outperform the 150r no problem.  

There are a bunch of trails where I live but the weave through the neighborhood and I ride my friends xr80 around them and it doesn't bother them. I was under the impression the four strokes are quieter

I thought the 150r is quieter than the cr 85 and which is a better all around dirt bike from 16 hour trips to motocross to tight trails

I thought the 150r is quieter than the cr 85 and which is a better all around dirt bike from 16 hour trips to motocross to tight trails

the 85. There way quiter then a 150r and go just as good. Much cheaper. Also will teach you more then a lazy 150r. And if you mean 16 hours of straight riding? That'll never happen without a big tank and several auxillery tanks.

the 85. There way quiter then a 150r and go just as good. Much cheaper. Also will teach you more then a lazy 150r. And if you mean 16 hours of straight riding? That'll never happen without a big tank and several auxillery tanks.

We have a truck for gas and the trails about a football field from the road

The 150r's are obnoxiously loud, I think there as loud as my 450r

We tossed the idea around that my son would either get a 85 or a 150r when I heard how loud they are I told home he wouldn't get to ride it much around the house, He chose a CR85 and rides nearly every day on our trails and the neighbours don't even hear him, they do however find my 450r to loud if I'm on it longer than 15-20 mins

Does the 85 foul plugs a lot

Yup! It really depends on HOW you ride the bikes, but in the trails, your gonna be spending your allowance on plugs. I believe the KX, YZ and RM's all have power valves that will help a bit. You might consider (depending on your riding experience) finding a CRF100. Quiet bikes, about the same hight as an 85 (an inch or 2 shorter), don't foul plugs, they are air cooled so you can ride as slow as you want w/o over heating. Not a super powerful bike, but in the trails will get you around.

Yup! It really depends on HOW you ride the bikes, but in the trails, your gonna be spending your allowance on plugs. I believe the KX, YZ and RM's all have power valves that will help a bit. You might consider (depending on your riding experience) finding a CRF100. Quiet bikes, about the same hight as an 85 (an inch or 2 shorter), don't foul plugs, they are air cooled so you can ride as slow as you want w/o over heating. Not a super powerful bike, but in the trails will get you around.

no you don't. If you're jetted right you won't ever foul a plug, I never did on any of my minis

My son has never fouled a plug on his CR85 doodling around in the really tight tight stuff with lots of idling thrown in waiting for others to get thru a rough spot,

Unless you don't know how to mix your oil or your jetting is out to lunch I don't think you could possibly foul a plug

Only the RM and kx's  have powervalves.