Sign in to follow this  

2006 kx450f hot engine

Hey guys I've been off the fourm for about a year and was starting to miss it, figured I'd check with you guys before I tear back into my bike.

I just rebuilt my water pump and took my bike out for a ride at the track. Everything ran fine (no coolant out of the wheep hole or overflow). I let the bike sit for about ten minutes after my second hard 30 minute ride and checked coolant level , that all looked good. Then I felt my clutch cover and it was so hot I could couldn't keep my hand on it for more than a split second. Now I'm not trying to be a smart a## but I just don't Remember it ever getting that hot. I'm worried I'm not circulating oil like I should. Any ideas or am I just losing it?

Hard to say. If you're not boiling it over then the pump rebuild job is ok. Transmission parts hold considerable heat for at least 10 mins on a hot day.   If the air temp was hot, and you slipped the clutch out of most turns, for 30 mins, then I'd guess that a typical bare finger tip would get slightly burned if you touched the clutch cover for more than 2 secs. I think a split second touch would never burn you unless the motor has something odd going on. So it depends on a few things. If it was a hot day and you rode it hard, then it's probably normal. Put fresh oil in there before you go back out. Even the main frame spars can get hot enough that touching the frame near the cylinder hangers for a few secs would give you a minor burn or at least hurt a little. You're probably loosing it, but it might be worth inspecting your clutch and oil screen.

Edited by numroe

Ten four. Thanks for the help. It was about 85-90 degrees or and I was riding Pertty hard. I'll change my oil and check it out. Where's this screen at your talking about?

Search this forum for oil screen. Some good threads on it. Or search for oil screen and my user name.   It's a real quick and easy thing to check on the 06-08 because the flywheel can remain installed. BUT you can very easily stuff it up too.  Eg. drop an internal cover dowel deep into the cases, or disrupt the pump shaft position, and then seriously break things the first time you kick it over.

It'd be worth pulling out your clutch pack too and inspecting. Super easy. Better off knowing.

I checked my screen and that had a very small amount of silicone in it. I went out for a short ride last night and noticed I was getting some backfire on my engine braking, which I know usually means it's running lean. I turned my pilot air screw in and almost bottomed it out before it got better. On the last part of my slow easy ride i noticed my header was starting to get a slight glow to it. Does anyone have anymore suggestion? I did install a new motion pro got start cable with the metal threads, I wondering if I'm not sucking in air through there. I already did a visual check on my intake boot to check for air sucking in there and that all looked good...... :blink:

I checked my screen and that had a very small amount of silicone in it. I went out for a short ride last night and noticed I was getting some backfire on my engine braking, which I know usually means it's running lean. I turned my pilot air screw in and almost bottomed it out before it got better. On the last part of my slow easy ride i noticed my header was starting to get a slight glow to it. Does anyone have anymore suggestion? I did install a new motion pro got start cable with the metal threads, I wondering if I'm not sucking in air through there. I already did a visual check on my intake boot to check for air sucking in there and that all looked good...... :blink:

No. It's a fuel screw. Two stroke carbs have the air screw in the airbox side if the carb.