Sign in to follow this  

Honda CRF230L stalling at idle....SOLVED

Hey Guys,

New member here.. I just picked up my first bike, a 2009 Honda CRF230L with 180 miles on it..  We took it for my first ride this weekend in Eastern, WA and noticed a problem at certain points.  When either i would clutch in and come to stop the bike would idle low and sometimes stall.. Also, when at a stop, if i turned the bars to the left for example it would kill it every time unless i gave it a touch of gas. Before going on the trip we installed risers to the stock handle bars that were 1.6" tall.  The stock cables seem a bit tight but the bars still turn.  I have read from other peoples situations that the throttle cable and others could be causing it to stall because they are too tight with the risers and that i should try rerouting the cables.. I also read about uping the idle a touch w/ the fuel adjustment screw (not sure where this is) so it doesn't idle as low at neutral..  Any tips would be really appreciated as i am completely new to this and I just want the bike to run as smooth as possible.  That said, i had still the best time ever up in the Mountains of WA.. Ripped the bike all over the place, including the highway and trails..

Matt

Edited by CRF_sf

Check the choke cable too, it sounds like it may not have sufficient slack, and may be pulling the choke open at full lock killing the engine and causing the fluctuations in idle speed.

Tech25

Check the choke cable too, it sounds like it may not have sufficient slack, and may be pulling the choke open at full lock killing the engine and causing the fluctuations in idle speed.

Tech25

thanks for the reply.. because I'm new to this and don't know what im doing, whats the best way of knowing this is causing the issue? is it something i can reroute to get a little more slack, or does a new cable need to be installed if this is the problem?..  Any details will help me when i check my bike out this week (currently at my brothers house).. It does make sense though.. since i raised the bars a bit and the cables seem a bit tight.

So i just wanted to let people know i solved the problem.. it was indeed the choke cable being to tight.. when i turned the bars it would pull on the choke cable (could see it pulling) I ended up disconnecting the cable at the handle bar lever and routing it on the backside of the fork (as oppose to the front side) and zip tied it down.  Gained about two inches of slack and completely solved the problem :).. Just thought i would share in case others run into the same issue