Sign in to follow this  

RG3

I have been reading all kinds of things about the late model WP suspension, everything from it's garbage and had to go "Ohlins" to the stock stuff can be made to work well.  Universally it seems that most agree that there is a harshness to it that is difficult to dial out.  Also it seems that everybody naturally has their preferred suspension guys...FC, MX-Tech, Joe Blow, ect.  But what really kinda makes me scratch my head is that I cannot find anybody here, after doing multiple searches, that has worked with RG3 on their 11-14 KTM?  It would seem they would be THE logical choice considering they are THE guys working directly with the factory KTM team (MX) regarding suspension.  Granted they are dealing with factory equipment, but if anybody should have the inside line on making the WP components work to their highest potential and offer the most "experienced" advise on how to help you setup WP suspension it should be RG3!  I have worked with RG3 (Paul Bruno here in NJ.....great to deal with by the way!) in the past on my 09 CRF450 and they had great specs worked out for that bike....and that bike was very flawed in many people's view.  

I spose I am wondering if anybody has gone the RG3 route and what their feelings are?  My personal experience has been very very positive. Plus having the direct connection to KTM and being around the race team, doing the testing they do directly on KTM's chassis......it just seems like they would have an advantage when it came to coming up with specs/solutions/and overall understanding of the WP components.  IM actually told that the the WP stuff is actually very high quality in general....even better that KYB and Showa in some regards.  Of course that may be subjective so dont want to really go there at this point.

So, without making this an "Ohlins vs the rest of the world" or "you dont know what ur talking about" thread.  If anybody has had experience with RG3 in the last say 2 years or so with their KTM......lets hear about it!

PaulP

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised to find an RG3 service center about 20 minutes from my house and have been thinking about having them do the work on my 13.5 450. I have two reservations about using RG3 though. The first one is that the RG3 service center is just a branch of RG3. Is the quality of work the same as the RG3 HQ in Cali? Second, I need to call and find out if they have a Smartvalve that will work in our WP suspension. They don't have an option listed on their site for it. 

They do have smartvalves for WP. Any satellite RG3 shops have gone through training at RG3 directly as I understand it. All the valving specs come from RG3 as well. I know this is the case with RG3 NJ.

I cannot believe nobody here has tried RG3 for their late model suspension???  I consider them among the big "3" suspension shops....Factory Connection, Pro Circuit, and ....RG3.  Of course Race Tech, MX-Tech, MB-1, ect are their also....and I hear about those guys here.  But I am kinda floored that considering their association with the Factory MX team that it would be a viable option for KTM owners.   

I am kinda surprised that you are not having this heart to heart talk with the Paul guy you know and have so much confidence in. Especially if you ride mx which is where the association would benefit. If you are riding offroad then things would be far different. If he will stand behind his work and gives tuning service after the revalve is done, I would go with someone you already trust. I think your relationship with the tuner is equally as valuable as RG3's relationship with the KTM team. With anyone new you are just flying blind.

I do talk to him.....and trust him.  I am just very very surprised considering how much gripping I hear about WP suspension (apparently warranted) and nearly every tuner imaginable gets mentioned....but not RG3?  They say they have a good setup for the WP equipment and that they do a lot of them.....MX and offroad.  I just figured that there would be plenty of guys here that have used them and could give imput.  Since they are the Factory suspension tuners it just makes sense that they would have a pretty good leg up on testing and settings.  I heard good thing bout latest FC, MX-tech, and a few others....of course all being subjective.  I am just surprised as I honestly thought there would be a bunch of guys jumping in with their experiences.  No worries either way....not really looking for justification or anything.  I do trust Paul up at RG3 NJ...he is a straight shooter and I think he really cares that things work they way they are supposed to.  But just was curious as to how things worked out for others.

FC did my 450 ... Overall very good. Was not happy with their clickers settings.. But I am very close. And they claim to guarantee satisfaction....

I have heard they have a decent setup for the WP.  Usually they do good work.

I had FC do my 2013 FE and I am very happy.  I just took two clicks off the compression on the front and rear but left the rebound at their settings.

I cannot believe nobody here has tried RG3 for their late model suspension??? I consider them among the big "3" suspension shops....Factory Connection, Pro Circuit, and ....RG3. Of course Race Tech, MX-Tech, MB-1, ect are their also....and I hear about those guys here. But I am kinda floored that considering their association with the Factory MX team that it would be a viable option for KTM owners.

I have said on here in one of those suspension threads that I used Paul at RG3 NJ and I'm very happy with his work. Mind you I'm no superstar, I'm a mid pack C rider with an 11 250sxf. Paul is a RG3 certified tech and a KTM guy. (I want to take a ride in his 150 so bad!) My suspension is not perfect, and I don't think anyone can have perfect, but it's working for me with minor changes from track to track and different conditions. Paul hooked me up after another reputable suspension company in NJ didn't do such a good job for me. My brother and I are very happy with our RG3 suspension from Paul.

last i knew The KTM factory team doesn't use production suspenders!  its hard to say RG3 has the "bomb setting" for production wp's.  Maybe for the conevalve forks and the trax shock.  You really can't compare apples to oranges. Cv forks have a ICS spring vs. bladder on production forks. the BV is also larger 30mm vs.28mm. the mv is a cone and cup vs. shims.  the only thing the components share with one another are some seals, orings and same length springs. 

i figured that, but there are plenty of support riders that use production based components.  I would think that simply having access to the testing and working with the WP stuff in general would help have a more complete understanding of what seems to work in general.  But maybe not.....

I have used Pauly at rg3 in nj and have had great success there,his work is alway top quality and his shop is spotless and tight just like his work.i wouldn't know about his work on ktms personally but I have heard good things about his experience on them- mike

They do have smartvalves for WP. Any satellite RG3 shops have gone through training at RG3 directly as I understand it. All the valving specs come from RG3 as well. I know this is the case with RG3 NJ.

Funny you bring this up.  I've found it VERY odd that people don't mention RG3 also.  You never really hear anyone talking about RG3 for their KTM.  I'm sending mine out to RG3 this winter as soon as I get around to pulling it off my bike.