Sign in to follow this  

YZ shock to KX?

Does anyone know if the bottom mount on a shock can be swapped to another brands? I was wondering about putting a YZ 450 SSS shock on my 06, but the lower mount is completely different. Anyone tried to do this?

Does anyone know if the bottom mount on a shock can be swapped to another brands? I was wondering about putting a YZ 450 SSS shock on my 06, but the lower mount is completely different. Anyone tried to do this?

I think you will find more difference than just the bottom mount. The reservoir will be another item that has to fit within the confines of the frame. The "SSS" that you refer to is more for the fork damping the way I understand it. I wouldn't attempt it. 

The thread pattern is different. I think it can be done if you have access to some welding and can re-cut the thread pattern you need; I'm pretty sure it would work. 

You also have to look out for difference in length and re-compensate in your SAG settings for possible differences.  

To swap the lower end of the shaft to a Kawi part, you'll probably have to also match the shaft diam. So 16 or 18mm.  You're 06 is 16mm.

To fit a YZ450F shock body on your 06, I'm reasonably sure you'll need an earlier YZ shock with the smaller oil res.  Just to fit between frame and airbox. Which means a YZ shock with the 16mm shaft. 

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the design of the 06-08 16mm shock - if rebuilt and given some good internal settings and a better linkage ratio to work with. I know there's so much personal preference with suspension, but for what it's worth I think mine works great, and I'm quite fussy about this stuff.  I guess you know that stock 06 valving settings are pretty bad/dangerous.

I've no idea what your goal is, but if you just want a cheap good shock for your 06, then you could consider buying any lightly used 06-08 shock, plus a Pivotworks rebuild kit, and using a selection of shims from both shocks, hunt around for some good stack settings. I'll service my own 06 shock next time and measure it up and share here, but I wont need to pull it apart for many months because I dont ride my KX much these days.

Edited by numroe

Thanks guys. I forgot that the shaft diameter was different as well as the resevoir size. I don't really have a lot of complaints about the shock as it sits now. It's been revalved for me and I run a Kouba link. I just came a cross a good deal on one and remember that everyone raves about the SSS stuff. I though if it was a simple enough process I would go with it. 

Thanks guys. I forgot that the shaft diameter was different as well as the resevoir size. I don't really have a lot of complaints about the shock as it sits now. It's been revalved for me and I run a Kouba link. I just came a cross a good deal on one and remember that everyone raves about the SSS stuff. I though if it was a simple enough process I would go with it. 

On your 06, get a 2010 or later linkage rocker part. You'll be impressed.  A longer tie rod on the 06 rocker aint good enough. The 06 chassis has good potential. It's the little black sheep in the product line. Lighter, softer and a few mm narrower than the 07-11 frames.

Don't worry about the "SSS" factor. It's a load of BS. The Yams just have current KYB design suspension with decent settings, and they trademarked the "SSS" marketing name.

There is nothing wrong with the 16mm 06-08 shock design. It only needs good internal settings and to be built with good oil, properly bled, sealed, bushed, gassed, and connected to a better linkage rate.

The next time your shock is due for a service (don't go past 30 hrs), do this little check what I do ... release all the nitrogen gas, orientate it so the res is the lowest point and the shaft seal is the highest point. Now slowly pump the piston about 10 times. Any air will come up to the highest point near the shaft seal. Once all the air is up there (there always will be some), hold the shaft vertically and pump it 5 to 35mm at the start of the stroke to feel how much air is in there. That air foams up your oil and causes fade. Which is why a simple oil+gas service can make such a huge diff.

You could sign up here http://www.valvinglogic.com/   download the stock valving for the 06 and 08 shocks and make your 06 into an 08. Get a pivotworks rebuild kit too. You don't need nitrogen gas either. Air works fine if you change the oil more frequently. Especially in dry SoCal air. Just get one of these little gems and you're away ... http://r.ebay.com/DljuPq

Hunt around for some used but great condition 08 to 12 KX450F forks, put the right springs in there and enjoy KYB "SSS" with Kawi valving. Sure with some different shim stacks and mid valve piston bleed holes or whatever the Kawi "SSS" forks can be better, but in any case some 08 to12 forks will blow away your 06 forks for performance.

Edited by numroe