Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse for 500 xc-w Best choise

I'm wanting to install a rekluse on my bike for a number of reasons mostly for the stall protection and I also want to install the left hand rear brake lever. One other reason is I think it will help with my timbersled kit.

I was really wanting the Z-Star Pro because of its high tuneability. However, I'm unable to find a Z-start for my 12' 500 xc-w. do they not make them any more? can you retro one on? 

I don't think they make them for that bike....

I'm running just the EXP ring (they didn't have the full Core available when I bought it)...I have 140hrs on it and ZERO issues with anything.....The motor does seem to running slightly warmer AND I do try and change my oil more frequently but that's not always the case. I have gone nearly 20hrs on a single oil change, also running a Scotts SS oil filter too....

Twitch, I'd only run the Core in Colorado. I upgraded my EXP to the Core because the standard unit would not lock up as well and get hot riding the technical sections.

It's been a good unit.

Twitch, I'd only run the Core in Colorado. I upgraded my EXP to the Core because the standard unit would not lock up as well and get hot riding the technical sections.

It's been a good unit.

Ud_Luz

Do you have the core exp? I've really been wanting to try the LHRB and am getting close to ordering one and the core exp. Did you have the z-start? i'm wondering how much better the performance is compared to the older models from Recluse.. Thanks

One thing I really like about the Core is virtually no stalls when you hit the rear brake. I have an original Z-Start in my GasGas 300 and it will sometimes stall. The Pro did it both my 400's too. I like the Pro for tunability but it isn't available for the new diaphragm clutches KTm is using. 

I think overall the Core is the best yet. That being said it's obvious that the unit is going to wear faster than either of the old units. The balls that engage the clutch are very small. I've been told 140-160 hours will be common. My 400 had over 1000 with the Pro so that's quite a difference. This still wouldn't keep me away from the new unit. It's worked a fair bit better than the EXP did in my 500.

I have a Core EXP on my 2013 500 XC-W.  I have run z-Start Pro's since they came out 10 years ago and wanted one for the new ride, but talked to Rekluse and they don't make 'em anymore due to the new clutch design. I tried a Core 2.0 on one of my CRF250R Hondas a few years ago and didn't like the heavier lever pull... Rekluse required heavier clutch springs to keep the clutch from slipping.... 

So, since there was no z-Start Pro available, I bought the full up Core EXP.

There are a number of things that make it far superior to the older style auto clutches.

You do get the Core 2.0 "ring" with centrifugal wedges vs. the old ramp and balls design that is still tunable for engagement speed and soft/hard engagement threshold.

But a very cool feature is the ability to adjust the engagement RPM from OUTSIDE using a little hex screw on the Rekluse clutch slave cylinder, and the hydraulic clutch still works just like stock... Nice and easy lever pull and there if you need it. After my first 2+ hour hare scramble on the new bike last weekend, I really didn't use the clutch much other than shifting. No stalls even when going into corners too hot and having to mash the rear brake without pulling in the clutch lever... 

Another plus is the kit includes a trick looking replacement clutch cover (black with the Rekluse spider and text)

Yes, it is more expensive, but, from my perspective, well worth the extra $$.

Edited by Grinstead_77G