Sign in to follow this  

Water proofing my bike

So in prep for running my timber sled kit this winter I want to do a few things to help "water poof" the bike. as well as just general water proofing certin items for deep water crossings and mud/dust. These things i can think of to maintain long life:

1. Install grease fittings on the fallowing items to keep water out and the bearing fresh for as long as possible:

• Front and rear wheel hubs
  • Steering neck
  • Rear swing arm pivot
  • Top and bottom of shock mount.

2. I also need to snow proof the air box. Not sure how to do this but I have a few ideas of installing some hydrophobic screens on the inlets to help keep snow from packing them up.

I'd skip the zerts and just use a good waterproof, aluminum based soap (not lithium)  grease like belray or schaffers.   If your riding in super cold minus temps use a low temp grease from one of the snowmobile manufactures.

I'd skip the zerts and just use a good waterproof, aluminum based soap (not lithium)  grease like belray or schaffers.   If your riding in super cold minus temps use a low temp grease from one of the snowmobile manufactures.

why specifically no the lithium based? 

washes out easier  despite packaging claims of water resistant

Ahh, I'm, thinking of using a NGLI #2 Synthetic, Most of the stuff I will be using will only be on the bike during the summer months. The swing arm, shock, front and rear axles all come off the bike for that timbersled kit.

I still want to install the zerks so that every time I ride I can just put a little bit more in it to make sure that it never gets dirt. So far every axle i've ever pulled out has been caked with mud and crap. even after a new seal kit its the same story