Sign in to follow this  

Idaho Burgdorf area intel

A few of us are camping in the Burgdorf area next weekend and none of us have ridden the area before. Can anyone recommend a place to camp, and what trails and loops 

to ride(or avoid)?  We're mostly advanced skill level riders with Idaho mountain riding experience, but don't want something so tough or nasty that it takes the fun out of it.

I haven't found Victor creek on the map yet but have heard it's best ridden one-way(down I'm assuming). Any others that should only be ridden one-way?

Hey dan, long time no hear. There is some of the best riding in idaho in that area. There are a number of dispersed camping spots on the road that goes past the burgdorf hot springs, within 5 miles or so, with plenty of room for trailers.

The riding can be rocky. Victor creek hits the hwy right near upper payette lake, and goes over towards loon lake. That's the direction you want to ride it. From the burgdorf road, nethker creek is a reasonable climb. Pete creek (next trail to the west) has a few spots that make it a better idea for most people to not go up it, especially late in the year when it might be loose. Continuing west, Bear Pete trail is mellow and scenic riding along the ridge, and will drop down to where you can hook in to victor creek. Center ridge used to be an extremely burley trail, and it's still not easy. It is also subject to lots of deadfall, so if you are traveling without a saw, you may get turned back. French creek and Klipp creek (sp?) from bear pete ridge down to french creek are good fun trails. The trails around loon lake are nice, keep an eye out for non-motorized users. dropping down towards krassel opens up some epic possibilities, but also some technical trails with significant exposure.

Have fun.

• Like 1

Thanks mark, I figured you might be the first to chime in. That's just the kind of info I was looking for.

Hey dan, long time no hear. There is some of the best riding in idaho in that area. There are a number of dispersed camping spots on the road that goes past the burgdorf hot springs, within 5 miles or so, with plenty of room for trailers.

The riding can be rocky. Victor creek hits the hwy right near upper payette lake, and goes over towards loon lake. That's the direction you want to ride it. From the burgdorf road, nethker creek is a reasonable climb. Pete creek (next trail to the west) has a few spots that make it a better idea for most people to not go up it, especially late in the year when it might be loose. Continuing west, Bear Pete trail is mellow and scenic riding along the ridge, and will drop down to where you can hook in to victor creek. Center ridge used to be an extremely burley trail, and it's still not easy. It is also subject to lots of deadfall, so if you are traveling without a saw, you may get turned back. French creek and Klipp creek (sp?) from bear pete ridge down to french creek are good fun trails. The trails around loon lake are nice, keep an eye out for non-motorized users. dropping down towards krassel opens up some epic possibilities, but also some technical trails with significant exposure.

Have fun.

A fun loop without much technical stuff can be had at Burgdorf....

From the Campground right next to Burgdorf Hot Springs -take the trail up the hill to the road -check out California Lake and the inflamable bog, Check out the War Eagle Lookout. Then take the Floyd Meadow trail down to the dredge ponds near Warren. There is an old steam dredge lurking in the spoil piles here. The Tavern at Warren maybe open for a burger but don't count on it for sure.... Then head over to Chinook Camground and catch the trail to Loon Lake -you got a couple options here including the difficult way up up Victor Peak.

IF you are adventurous head over towards Hazard Lake area and check out the Devils Ladder and the Devils Hole. Rocks are different here than at Burgdorf proper....Trails are pretty faint over here -be prepared.... Hershey Point has a good view from the Lookout, too. 

Edited by trailwhale

Bill Dart's maps can be a little deceiving. Pete creek and wangdoodle trails are both very challenging and are classified as blue diamond. Not sure why the northern section of secesh river trail is labeled black diamond, it's really just a nice flowing trail along side the river.

Wish I would have had more time to explore the area.

A fun loop without much technical stuff can be had at Burgdorf....

From the Campground right next to Burgdorf Hot Springs -take the trail up the hill to the road -check out California Lake and the inflamable bog, Check out the War Eagle Lookout. Then take the Floyd Meadow trail down to the dredge ponds near Warren. There is an old steam dredge lurking in the spoil piles here. The Tavern at Warren maybe open for a burger but don't count on it for sure.... Then head over to Chinook Camground and catch the trail to Loon Lake -you got a couple options here including the difficult way up up Victor Peak.

IF you are adventurous head over towards Hazard Lake area and check out the Devils Ladder and the Devils Hole. Rocks are different here than at Burgdorf proper....Trails are pretty faint over here -be prepared.... Hershey Point has a good view from the Lookout, too.

Are you refering to Burgdorf IDAHO ?

Warren Wagon Road to Loon Lake was a cruise...Pete Creek was a bitch.... upper French creek was a good intermediate trail. Lower French was no where to be found ?......bridge over french creek was missing planks and tilting (ride it fast!) .....Man Hill trail climb out of

French Creek was narrow but awesome.... rest of man hill trail was not to be found....115 and 116 were not to be found...Jeanette was a cruise.... Hershey point and the look out trail was rocky to say the least..... Upper Secesh trail was cool.....lower not to be found....parts of Netker Creek were a cruise , other parts were brutal or unridden and uncleared.....whangdoodle was was a good intermediate trail other than the decent on the east side....

Overall I would say that the Burgdorf trails I experienced were some of the most consistantly challenging trails in central Idaho !

I concede that I am in Horrible ridng shape after a summer of only 4 or 5 decent rides.. But most of the guys were in good shape and all have considerable riding experience ! Yet many of them were exhausted after some of the sections....

All in alll I would say that to classify most of the Burgdorf area as moderate would be a understatement .

I will return (in better shape!) and challenge the rest of the area next year.....

WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THOSE TRAILS WE COULDNT FIND ! We search back and forth !

Wait, what? you couldn't find lower secesh? just don't turn up wangdoodle and keep going downstream and there it is. It is a pretty difficult trail tho with a couple spots of extreme exposure.

You are correct that french creek below the bridge doesn't really exist. I think it dead ended at private property anyway.

The actual 'man hill' was on center ridge (trail 504), and was fixed up about 2 years ago. Now it's a fun semi-technical climb instead of being a retardedly difficult washed out boulderfield.

Connecting from french creek (at the bridge) up to center ridge (504) requires a little route-finding and sharp eyes to get across the meadow. (after you climb the switchbacks, go a hundred yards or so left on the dirt road, and continue up the singletrack, you eventually come out to a meadow). There were pink ribbons in some of the hard to see spots last year. I don't even see a trail 115 on my map, so no clue where that's supposed to be.

So did you guys take whangdoodle up to the ridge, and then follow that trail down to the dirt road and lick creek road? If so, how did you get back? (secesh for an expert group, or 20-mile are both good options).

btw, trailwhale is talking about burgdorf idaho. i met him last year at state ride up there.

Are you refering to Burgdorf IDAHO ?

Warren Wagon Road to Loon Lake was a cruise...Pete Creek was a bitch.... upper French creek was a good intermediate trail. Lower French was no where to be found ?......bridge over french creek was missing planks and tilting (ride it fast!) .....Man Hill trail climb out of

French Creek was narrow but awesome.... rest of man hill trail was not to be found....115 and 116 were not to be found...Jeanette was a cruise.... Hershey point and the look out trail was rocky to say the least..... Upper Secesh trail was cool.....lower not to be found....parts of Netker Creek were a cruise , other parts were brutal or unridden and uncleared.....whangdoodle was was a good intermediate trail other than the decent on the east side....

Overall I would say that the Burgdorf trails I experienced were some of the most consistantly challenging trails in central Idaho !

I concede that I am in Horrible ridng shape after a summer of only 4 or 5 decent rides.. But most of the guys were in good shape and all have considerable riding experience ! Yet many of them were exhausted after some of the sections....

All in alll I would say that to classify most of the Burgdorf area as moderate would be a understatement .

I will return (in better shape!) and challenge the rest of the area next year.....

WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THOSE TRAILS WE COULDNT FIND ! We search back and forth !

Yes, Burgdorf, Idaho. Place with the wood log wall hot springs pool, cabins, gas, and a glorious old Hotel building that is kinda being restored....

That is a great description of Burgdorf, French Creek and the Hazard Lake Area. Difficult and easy sometimes right together....plus hard to find trails.....The trails over to the west don't get used much especially since the big fires. Kinda hard to find the blaze mark in a burned up tree.... We tried to get out to Patrick Butte and down to the Salmon River. We finally found the trail starting point to access Patrick Butte but it was getting towards dark- so we rode the gravel and pavement back to Burgdorf -a long way around! did this because we didn't want to go back French Creek and Bear Pete Ridge in the dark.

Edited by trailwhale

I was being facesious about which Burgdorf...

As for the lower Secesh trail I GoPro"d the ride and still couldnt see the junction.... The upper portion just kinda blended into Whangdoodle as it left the River .

That area can really kick your ass in sections. But it's a good ass kicken...lol you really feel like you have accomplished something afterward.

If I can figure out how to download the vids I will. I only have 60 gigs of 1080 @ 30 fps !!,,

Have fun.

Can be rocky, correct!

Victor Ck needs a saw, ironwood deadfall on the way up, we quit.

Loon is for tourists, nice break from work though.

Pete is now called #%$! trail when that's what you start your day with.....

Bill Dart's maps can be a little deceiving. Pete creek and wangdoodle trails are both very challenging and are classified as blue diamond. Not sure why the northern section of secesh river trail is labeled black diamond, it's really just a nice flowing trail along side the river.

Wish I would have had more time to explore the area.

We need a saw and gps of the trails so we can put them back on the ground, not a lot of use up there.

Man Hill? I never saw no Man Hill :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPY4Ou5bTmE&feature=youtu.be

You didn't waste any time getting that on Youtube.

Did you get all 60 gigs downloaded ?...haha

How was the drive home ?

Dave woods called and gave me a trip report of his ride. Sounds like we were smart not to hook up with those maniacs.....i think they rode something like 2500 miles in 4 days with chainsaws....lol . all gnarly beyong technical stuff too ! Actually he did ride 7 days straight . I think 3 of those were by himself.

As for the lower Secesh trail I GoPro"d the ride and still couldnt see the junction.... The upper portion just kinda blended into Whangdoodle as it left the River .

Yes, most people just go up whangdoodle, so that's the burned in line, but if you stop, you can't miss the trail continuing downstream.

You didn't waste any time getting that on Youtube.

Did you get all 60 gigs downloaded ?...haha

How was the drive home ?

Dave woods called and gave me a trip report of his ride. Sounds like we were smart not to hook up with those maniacs.....i think they rode something like 2500 miles in 4 days with chainsaws....lol . all gnarly beyong technical stuff too ! Actually he did ride 7 days straight . I think 3 of those were by himself.

I did nothing but waste time yesterday and drink beer. After that 16 hr drive it was time to rest up for the next trip, this weekend!

Luckily the card fits in my g-pro as my computer does not have the reader......I'll put together a disk of pics and keep working on the vids for you.

Dave called me right after talking to you, says I need to step up and ride with the big boys next time. Hope we're not out til dark, bwahahahahhahahahahahaha.........

If a tree falls in the forest, does it block a trail?

Can be rocky, correct!

Victor Ck needs a saw, ironwood deadfall on the way up, we quit.

Loon is for tourists, nice break from work though.

Pete is now called #%$! trail when that's what you start your day with.....

We need a saw and gps of the trails so we can put them back on the ground, not a lot of use up there.

Man Hill? I never saw no Man Hill :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPY4Ou5bTmE&feature=youtu.be

Nice video. Wish I would have been on that one with you guys.