Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust help 2004 xr650l

Hey guys .. New to me honda xr650l.. Can somebody help identify this exhaust.. I see the brand and name .. But not really seeing anything online that matches up.. Not sure if this really a very old design or simply not made for this bike.

The exhaust is in two "pieces". The smaller 6" piece had a turbine fin looking rig.

I bought some new packing material.. The old stuff was burnt out . Do I pack both sections ?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378155449.475162.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378155473.296721.jpg

It doesn't look like you can fit any packing material into the back section.  I would stuff as much packing material as possible into the front part, packed as tightly as you can.  You want to just barely be able to get the aluminum cover back over it.

The last time I bought packing material, they had some stuff that comes out as kind of a rope rather than a big flat sheet, and you just wrap it around and around until you get the right amount.  I thought it was rather weird initially, but once installed, it was much easier to work with.

I am able to pack the back as well ... It's slides jn pretty easily. Just not sure if its what I should do or simply pack the front part ..

Any idea on make / model of this exhaust ? Is it for my model bike? Some have suggested this could be a 2 stroke muffler.

Make is FMF, model is Power Core 4.  Definitely a four-stroke muffler.  If it fits, use it.

I recommend putting as much packing material in there as you can.  It will make it a bit quieter, and usually gives you slightly better power as well if the packing is tight.

Sorry I guess I knew make and model .. I just don't want to blow up my bike :)

To be clear .. I repack the portion of the pipe that's connected to the exhaust pipe .. And the piece that's near the cap with the turbine looking thing inside.. Pack that as well or leave empty ?

I tried called fmf but wasn't too much help..

Thanks again

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378228025.778015.jpg

Hey guys .. New to me honda xr650l.. Can somebody help identify this exhaust.. I see the brand and name .. But not really seeing anything online that matches up.. Not sure if this really a very old design or simply not made for this bike.

The exhaust is in two "pieces". The smaller 6" piece had a turbine fin looking rig.

I bought some new packing material.. The old stuff was burnt out . Do I pack both sections ?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378155449.475162.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378155473.296721.jpg

You wrap the fiberglass around the perforated pieces ONLY. The perforations are there to allow the sound to be absorbed by the fg. Then you use tape or thin tiewraps  to keep the fg tight to the perforated pieces. Just a couple strips. Then you slide the wrapped pieces back into the canister and secure the screws, etc. Done.

Thanks if you notice the first picture the exhaust that's inside the canister consists of two pieces.. The second smaller piece closet to the end cap has a small turbine looking thing.. The packing would go between the screen on the outside and the screen on the inside .. Almost slides down.

What is the purpose of the smaller piece of the exhaust ? This the silencer part ?