Sign in to follow this  

What are some to do mods for the drz400s?

Hi I have an 05 drz400s all stock but the tires bars grips blah nothin for performance really. Im looking for mods and things to do over the winter for overall better performance and such. Im going to get the mrd ssw but what else? Thanks for and and all replys!!!

I was thinking rad guards skid plate and case covers. The rest I dont really know what that stuff is for the most part lol. This is my first year on the drz. Im not the most mechanically inclined but I know the basics and can do most stuff if I get a clearer understanding

Also already have the clarke 3.9 gal and its great. Is and aftermarket skid plate worth it? My stock ones been fine so far

If you plan on allot of offroading I would get an aftermarket one. I have a Mooseracing one on mine I like how the sides are metal instead of the stock plastic. Rad guards are nice too I'm running Unabiker. They have held up fine with a bunch of falls on and off road.  Radiators are expensive to replace!

Edited by hinow41
  • Like 1

Thanke everyone! I like the sounds of that last list lol. Im gonna start looking into that and E.Marquez' link and I think that will pretty much wrap it up. May take some extra tme for everything but at least I know where to start

Thanke everyone! I like the sounds of that last list lol. Im gonna start looking into that and E.Marquez' link and I think that will pretty much wrap it up. May take some extra tme for everything but at least I know where to start

Start with things that will protect in a simple fall.

Rad guards,. case savers, round over the back of the shifter, skid plate

Then get to the reliability fixes.

After that suspension, breaks, and engine, plus cosmetic / Ergo stuff as you see fit. 

I guess it really depends on what kind of riding your planning on doing...

• The reliability fixes (loctite the C/S, Primary Nut, Counter Balancer Nut, Clutch Hub Nut, Stator Bolts, Starter Clutch/Flywheel Bolts) in the FAQ you should do no matter what kind of riding your planning on.  All it'll cost is a bottle of loctite, 1 side cover gasket and maybe an afternoon.
  • Lubricate all suspension and steering components (especially swingarm, linkage and steering stem bearings) and do it once a year
  • File down the back side of the shifter (so its smooth and doesn't gouge the engine side cover).
  • Engine guards (TT or CRC), all it takes is dropping the bike once on its side and you can punch a hole through the expensive side covers
  • Skid plate if you're planning on doing any trail riding, especially rocky stuff.  The OE one is plastic, it won't protect much or last either.
  • Radiator guards, if you're planning on doing any trail riding.  Again all it takes is one drop on its side and you have a busted radiator.
  • Hand guards, protect your levers when you drop the bike (levers can break easily and you can end up losing the clutch or front brake) and protect your hands from impacts on trails (trees and limbs).
  • TIRES, get the appropriate tires for your intended riding.
  • Setting up suspension, getting the suspension sag right (or close) and playing with clickers till a happy medium is found.

For me this would be the bare minimum for any DRZ being used on the street (minus the aftermarket skid plate) and/or trail (plus skid plate).  From there the sky is the limit:

• If needed, fork & shock springs for your weight (go by race and static sags)
  • Suspension revalve, what's there to say... on the street the forks dive a lot under braking, are not firm enough at low suspension velocities (pitch control) and the shock needs more rebound.  On the trails the forks are too soft, blow through their stroke, have almost no bottoming resistance and the shock needs a little more compression and a lot more rebound.
  • Different shifter, I use a MSR +1 shifter as its easier to shift in both MX and normal shoes (I wear size 10.5).
  • Handlebars, different bends to suit rider preferences (more comfort) and stronger ones if you get the oversized bars.
  • Bar risers, raise your bars again for comfort and if you ride a lot on trails standing up it helps.
  • Seat, the stock seat isn't the greatest (for some this is a must replace item) again more comfort.
  • Gearing, change gearing to suit your riding (lower for trail use and higher for street use)
  • Rim locks, a must if you're serious about trail riding and lower the pressures in the tires
  • Wheel sets (excel rims, talon hubs, etc...)
  • Brakes (SS lines, pads, rotors, oversize brake kits)
  • FCR-MX carb
  • 3x3 Airbox mod
  • Exhausts
  • Big-bore kits
  • Stroker cranks
  • Wide-ratio gearset (ACT)

On and on....

Edited by bmwpowere36m3

For the 3x3 mod is this video good to follow for it? (

) also do I need to jet it just do the 3x3? And id like to take the whole thing apart make sure things are good loctite the things listed 3x3 get a mrd and all this over the winter is it a good idea? I planned on obv taking some things apart but I'm asking about the wholee thing? Thank you everyone for all replys

Also already have the clarke 3.9 gal and its great. Is and aftermarket skid plate worth it? My stock ones been fine so far

:jawdrop:  If you ride the dirt get a skid ASAP!!!  I recomend the Tonns Fabrication skid plate. No bolts on the bottom to get hung up on stuff and it attaches to the frame VIA the original mounting points instead of crappy clamps like most do

For the 3x3 mod is this video good to follow for it?  also do I need to jet it just do the 3x3? And id like to take the whole thing apart make sure things are good loctite the things listed 3x3 get a mrd and all this over the winter is it a good idea? I planned on obv taking some things apart but I'm asking about the wholee thing? Thank you everyone for all replys

Obv clean if I do take it apart and check everything. Figure use the microfiche. All advice and input appreciated. Thanks everyone

The vid is a good walk through guide...I would go for the JD jetting kit and the 3x3 is part of the deal of optimum results..

JD Jetting Jet Kit S/SM (stock Mikuni carburetor)

some will bypass the Jet Kit for the stock paper weight and just go with the 39 Fcrmx conversion kit ( which will save you wasting money on a jet kit)

Just depends which way you want to head with performance mods, the fcr will give you more potential power increase with better throttle response..

most will say the fcr was one of the best upgrades they ever did....

http://www.sisnerosspeedworks.com/ssw-fcr-mx-kit

FCR-MX 39mm Carburetor Conversion Kit

BTW.....the Fcr will be a perfect match for your SSW/MRD.... :awww: . :wub:   :D

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Is he fcr really worth it? I can't see the price on the one from sisernos but I'm guessing its around 500$ lkke all the others. I dont really want to spend that much if its not needed it'd be nice but thats a lot of money. I wasn't even gonna re jet it if I dont have to. At least not yet I was gonna do the 3x3 snd mrd but if I don't need to jet I wasn't. Trying to save as much $ as I can lol

Is he fcr really worth it? I can't see the price on the one from sisernos but I'm guessing its around 500$ lkke all the others. I dont really want to spend that much if its not needed it'd be nice but thats a lot of money. I wasn't even gonna re jet it if I dont have to. At least not yet I was gonna do the 3x3 snd mrd but if I don't need to jet I wasn't. Trying to save as much $ as I can lol

Worth it.??.... Some say it is , some say it's not.....do some research and it's your call..

You will definitely need to re jet for 3x3 mod and SSW/MRD...

How much HP and torque does the FCR supply ?

Working along side the SSW exhaust

A significant gain...up to 6 hp and 2 to 3 ft lb torque

That's close to 20% power increase over a stock bike with 33hp

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1