Oil in my airbox?

Just got back from my trip and towards the end I noticed I was leaking oil. Alright, it happens, I thought to myself. Then I realized it seemed to be coming from my airbox! So I pulled out the filter, it was saturated in oil, and the inside of the box was covered in it. Any thoughts on what the heck happened?!

Only thing I could think of is some form of blowback from the carb?? :censored::excuseme:

Do you still have this black box on your bike?

📎oil vapor recovery tank.jpg

And the lines that attach it from the valve cover, to the black box, black box to the cylinder, and on an S, black box to air boot. 

No, that black box was not on the box bike when I bought it. What is it?

Edited by Klimedia

No, that black box was not on the box when I bought it. What is it?

What is it... The source of your issues.

Oil vapor recovery box. Without it the oil blow by is dumped to the ground

Folks mistakenly remove it thinking there is an advantage ... Not a good choice as has been proven many times over the years

• Like 1

Well that makes a lot of sense. The PO said he took the bike to a "reputable" shop down where he lives and had them set up the bike for our local track's Super Moto race requirements. How easy is it to get ahold of the parts and install it? And why did it only start to present a problem on day 8 of the trip? Not that I doub't you, just curious for input.

And the oil isn't going to the ground but the airbox. Just restating in case.

Edited by Klimedia

Well that makes a lot of sense. The PO said he took the bike to a "reputable" shop down where he lives and had them set up the bike for our local track's Super Moto race requirements. How easy is it to get ahold of the parts and install it? And why did it only start to present a problem on day 8 of the trip? Not that I doub't you, just curious for input.

And the oil isn't going to the ground but the airbox. Just restating in case.

the parts are a DRZ part out away,,, Here in the classifieds, SMJ classifieds, or Ebay.

Why does your go to the air box? Just they way it was set up. Wrong no matter what, and as a often cited poster might have responded.. "Slowed down for racing"

You'll need the two or three lines, the plastic 90 deg fitting in the air boot and the box.to make it right (or plug the air boot and vent the box to atmisphere like an E)

the parts are a DRZ part out away,,, Here in the classifieds, SMJ classifieds, or Ebay.

Why does your go to the air box? Just they way it was set up. Wrong no matter what, and as a often cited poster might have responded.. "Slowed down for racing"

You'll need the two or three lines, the plastic 90 deg fitting in the air boot and the box.to make it right (or plug the air boot and vent the box to atmisphere like an E)

Is there a write up on venting the airbox? If you know of one, cool. If not I will do a search when I get home from work. =P

Is there a write up on venting the airbox? If you know of one, cool. If not I will do a search when I get home from work. =P

Venting the air box?

Not sure what that is asking?

are you asking about opening the airbox for jetting purposes?  or still talking about the missing oil vapor recovery tank?

• 6 years later...
5 hours ago, bucket list said:

Have a look at the date of the thread.

I've always thought it would be an interesting exercise with all these older threads that get replies, whether or not the original OP even still has a DRZ. 

I hope to still have mine in 6 years but time will tell. When autonomous cars become a majority, riding on the road will be an outlaw thing to do. No way will the powers that be and the insurance companies want a bunch of irresponsible humans that are in control of their own vehicles to be hooning around all those computer driven boxes.

I also predict that closed road course weekends will be a huge business for those of us that still want the freedom to make our own decisions. Also watch the price of desirable/collectable vehicles go through the roof price wise. Who would want to keep a Toyota Corolla/ Suzuki GN250 as a track vehicle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ridethepipe said:

Weird, This thread popped up on my desktop like a suggested thread that I should checkout. No clue why TT would forward a thread that's 6 years old lol

I think it's that whole data thing. You have probably looked up something somewhere and it thinks that it is helping to drop 6 year old threads in your sight line.

Same as some of the ones that pop up at the bottom of the page. Some of the parts companies mentioned in old threads are not even around anymore.

Same as the one I can see now. "DRZ400SM discontinued" from 2008. Here we are now and they have a 2020 out at the dealers.