Sign in to follow this  

Stolen boat recovery

Hang on, its about to get wierd. I have no experience with this kinda stuff. My boat was stolen from my driveway in April less then a day after the insurance lapsed. I got a call Friday afternoon that it was recovered. It was after hours for the yard and they are closed all weekend and today. CHP called back Saturday and said that the engine was missing and that will be included on the current police report, Now will have been 4 days since the boat was towed off the side of the road and the yard has been closed. They are answering calls but will not talk business since they are "closed", Am I on the hook for 4-5 days storage for this thing? Its not worth much anymore and I'm hoping I can just sign title over and let them auction it. Anyone know what options I have?

Id talk to your insurance agent again. Plus your homeowners, plus the insurance from the property which it was stolen from.

If your insurance lapsed then yeah your paying for everything. The storage fees will be on u as well. If you sign it over I believe you would be all good.

If they call you and you cannot pick it up because they are closed and will not accomodate, then they can't charge you for storage.  However, you will need to pick it up on Monday or they will begin charging you from that point on.

Dave

If they call you and you cannot pick it up because they are closed and will not accomodate, then they can't charge you for storage.  However, you will need to pick it up on Monday or they will begin charging you from that point on.

Dave

It's a state by state thing, and no that's not the law of the land in every state.

It's not the towing/impound companies responsibility to be open 24-7 for your convenience.  It is their responsibility to allow customers to pay their towing and storage fees during their normal business hours that are in their working contract with the law enforcement agency that ordered the tow and impound.

Here in MN, technically, you're billed for each calendar day they secure and store the item.  If it gets dragged in after hours on Friday night and they don't open for business til Monday morning, they can charge you 4 days storage fees (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon).

If you 'sign over the title', they may accept this and let it go at that, but most states have laws on the books where you are on the hook for any charges incurred, and technically they could auction it, deduct what they get at the auction from your bill, and still come after you for the difference.

And trust me, the amounts collected at these auctions are somewhere between the value of a slim jim and a pack of gum.