First ride...wrecked...handlebars are crooked...

Went on my first ride on my first dirt bike...YZ250F. Did pretty good until I came up out of a dry pond a little too hot and went up and over the dam.

Got back on and noticed that my bars were no longer perpendicular to my front wheel.

Rode into the shop, and found that the two sides of the fork were no longer parallel, so I loosened all the bolts on the clamps and got them back straight. Tightened everything back up and it seems fine now.

Did I do that properly? Is that a common thing to have happen? What are the torque specs on the fork clamps?

Thanks for any input.

Here's a little strawberry for you...

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378161398.504943.jpg

The torque specs should be in the manual.  Yes, loosening and lining up the forks and re-torqueing is the best way to fix it.  Find a manual and check it with a torque wrench.  If the bars are bent, replace them with some good aftermarket bars.  The stock steel ones bend easily. 

Ill have to find a manual. Bike is a 2009 and I got it used, without manual. I'm guessing eBay or Yamaha dealer is my best bet for finding one.

That is the proper way to do it, but I just whack my front tire against a tree to straighten it out.  :devil:

That is the proper way to do it, but I just whack my front tire against a tree to straighten it out.  :devil:

Everyone is guilty of this haha.

fix it on the fly :thumbsup:

That is the proper way to do it, but I just whack my front tire against a tree to straighten it out. :devil:

I think that might be an "advanced" technique. Ill work my way up to it.

Another thing I did while I was working in that area, is moved the bar clamps to the forward-most holes, pushing the bars a little more to the front of the bike.

I didn't ride much after, so I don't know how much of a difference it made.

I was just trying to get a little roomier cockpit. I'm a mountain biker, so I'm used to being really stretched out. The dirt bike riding position feels so cramped to me.

Will moving the handlebars up like that be something I regret, or is it just a preference thing with not much change in handling?